Does the term "star week" make anyone else cringe?

hahaha FINALLY!!! i know what "star week" is... gosh how embarassing!!! i have 60% older women at my group!! id rather say im on my period! end off lol :) xxx

Re: Does the term "star week" make anyone else cringe?

I prefer to say the 'wrong' time. Men seem to understand that lol.
I remember an ex of mine telling a story about a dozy co worker. A friend was saying he and his wife were having no 'action' because the painters and decorators were in. Dozy said, well just tell them to bugger off downstairs out of your way.

I never claimed to be rational about it!! :confused:

I just hate most abbreviations, written or spoken.

you sound like me with my son. He is 13 and actually says 'O M G!' instead of 'oh my god'. i dont like most thing abbreviated but just speaking letters?!

I remember when the Consultants put a star on your book when it was your period, hence star week.
I think it's OK, but would be happy with 'time of the month', it's not so in yer face as 'having my period'. I'm shy and wouldn't want to be that blunt in public, especially when I was new to a group. A happy medium is better for me.

LOL - I love this thread.

Most of us at WI are women, so we have all had to put with PERIODS for years, so why the 'code'!?!

My bug bare is the adverts for the feminime products that just won't say what they are for and we (I) have great fun in our house making up new adverts for them:

Advert - Vagisil Cream - For feminine itching.

My Advert - Vagisil - For itchy f******!!

And when have you ever had a period where you have clean blue water!!!!

Sorry to be so crude so early in the morning, but it drives me mad. :rant2:

Oh don't get me started!! So many things that people say make me cringe. I don't like "muller" either. My two greatest hates are "cuppa" and "uni", but if I told you them all we would be here until Easter!!

I am with you here Avisk !!! Another one I hate and I know you do too is " I am having a jacket with cheese today " what jacket, a Harris Tweed jacket, a linen jacket oh no !!! a baked potato.

With you as well on the uni one and I refuse to be drawn into the use of it even though it seems to be well accepted.

I can not bear initial talk at all and am often baffled on the boards here and miss the point of a thread because I do not understand the initials, but then that goes along with my dislike of bad grammar and bad spelling especially as we all have spell checks.

I have to say - Thank god for this thread!!!!

Ive noticed a few people using it (some shorten it to "*week" and I've been totally baffled haha! Didnt have a clue what they were going on about!

I am often baffled by some of the initial things I see here.

it reminds me of when my mum used to call my vagina a 'tup tups' and even then she would whisper it LOL

LOL :giggle: MINE CALLED MINE A LILY !!!!!

I never claimed to be rational about it!! :confused:

I just hate most abbreviations, written or spoken.

Once again in total agreement.

I see the reference to older woman again and that it might offend "older" woman. Just how old are you referring too. I am 67 years old and find the use of star week far more offensive than saying it is your period week. We are hardly Victorian.

I think I have to start a thread for us poor old dears. Never fear friends you will all be there one day !!!!

morning lovely's, this has really cheered me up (bad night in work). :p
i haven't said star week or other wise since going back as I've only had 2 weeks that haven't been a "star week"! but i think i might have said it in a post on here.
my mum, who is loooong past stars pixies or a painter etc decided to be on a "hormonal week" week before last! :D.
as we are a small class i don't think i would bother me saying what it is exactly even if the male members are there, they really should know what one is at their age!:rolleyes:
but if i was being honest i probably wouldn't say period either, more likely to be "I'm on my feeling fat bloated eat everything in sight i want chocolate don't piss me off or look at me with attitude i might have to kill you week" :eek:
far more descriptive and accurate to how i feel :D, the fact I'm getting my period at the same time is pure coincidence ;)
xxx

"I'm on my feeling fat bloated eat everything in sight i want chocolate don't piss me off or look at me with attitude i might have to kill you week" :eek:
xxx

:8855:

Ha ha! Love this thread! I try not to blame * week for my gains, but I did this week as I was soooo bloated cos of it! Since we started our periods, we've alwaes called our periods the "painters" which all stems back from a letter in the agony aunt section in Just Seventeen, when the girl who wrote in said that she couldn't go to the bathroom as they had the painter and decorators in, so "painters" stuck!!

As for my lady bits, they are called "minnies" or "minne moos", and the boys bits are called "dinkles". I really don't like the words virgina and penis, make me cringe!

And I alwaes use the word "cuppa", it's 'ow we say it dahhn 'ere! ;) And I'm enjoying one right this minute! :)

morning lovely's, this has really cheered me up (bad night in work). :p
i haven't said star week or other wise since going back as I've only had 2 weeks that haven't been a "star week"! but i think i might have said it in a post on here.
my mum, who is loooong past stars pixies or a painter etc decided to be on a "hormonal week" week before last! :D.
as we are a small class i don't think i would bother me saying what it is exactly even if the male members are there, they really should know what one is at their age!:rolleyes:
but if i was being honest i probably wouldn't say period either, more likely to be "I'm on my feeling fat bloated eat everything in sight i want chocolate don't piss me off or look at me with attitude i might have to kill you week" :eek:
far more descriptive and accurate to how i feel :D, the fact I'm getting my period at the same time is pure coincidence ;)
xxx
:8855:
LOL !!!!!!! So funny !!! :8855:

I have to say I am pretty irrational about my inability to refer to female bodily functions in any way at all (which does beg the question of why I have read to page 3 on this thread...). One of the main reasons I haven't chosen to go to a group is because the idea of a group full of people knowing that sort of thing makes me cringe!
Its a bizarre double standard because i am well known for being very blunt and open in discussing sex but that just always seems less embarrassing to me. I am wierd. Let the ridicule begin! (i am posting this in the vain hope that maybe I am not the only one that thinks like this)

I understand what you mean as anything to do with "toilet matters " embarrasses me whilst periods never did.

I would hate anyone to hear me in the bathroom or worse still know what I was doing.........crazy isn't it.

Never heard of star week before and the only time I'm "mullered" is when I'm drunk ;)

I use the following

I'm on (simple and to the point)

Surfing the crimson wave (just to watch the boys squirm)

Painters are in (universally accepted)

Although am usually such a b!tch troll from hell at that time of the month that explanations are not necessary ;)

xx

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH to all of the above

And its not universally accepted :whoopass: ;)

I was just thinking the exact same thing!! I hate any names for it. Its ridiculous that in this day and age people are embarassed by it. But maybe working in a Dr's surgery has de-sensitized me, i spend most of my day discussing peoples bowel movements hahaa xxxx

Hi ladies:p

As a bloke, I guessed what *week or star week was immediately. I just wonder if the phrase wasn't invented to avoid any un-necessary embarrassment to males in group? - it bothers me not, I've been through it all, daughter and stepdaughter grown up etc.

There are several terms for it - most of them crude (I'll not repeat them on here) some are acceptable in some circles and some not so. I like the term "The Curse" kind of old-fashioned and not at all vulgar.

Anyway, it seems strange in this day and age this perfectly natural cycle can still cause embarrassment and shame in some cases.

Bless all you lovely ladies ;)

Steve

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH to all of the above

And its not universally accepted :whoopass: ;)

I was just thinking the exact same thing!! I hate any names for it. Its ridiculous that in this day and age people are embarassed by it. But maybe working in a Dr's surgery has de-sensitized me, i spend most of my day discussing peoples bowel movements hahaa xxxx
Names for it are not being embarassed by it - simply a turn of phrase. I'm menstruating just doesn't slip off the tongue as easily.
Obviously I move in cruder circles ;)

xx

Back