Does this diet work for you?

Does the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet work for you?

• Yes Very - I'm very happy with my losses

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes - I am satisfied with my weight loss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat - I lost but not as much as I thought I would

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Neither - stayed the same

• No - It made me want all the 'bad' foods again

• Not at all - Didn't lose a thing

• Definitely Not - I gained!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FatFairNForty(ish)

Gold Member
I just wondered, now that this diet has been on the go for a while now, what folks have to say about how successful it has been and whether it is hard or not to do?

I had my concerns about it and made no secret of that but am genuinely interested to know if those who are on it / have done it would say that it works?

I realise this will be totally subjective but it's really important to know from those in the know (ie those who've tried it!).

(let's face it, if it does then yippee - another way to lose weight!!)

So, if you don't mind, it would be great to know

a) how long you've been on it
b) how much you've lost
c) your personal views on it's validity as a do-able weight loss plan
d) the + and - about it

Thanks in anticipation

I have real trouble answering this so I haven't voted yet. I have been doing the diet since early June but with about three weeks off due to holidays and other things. I have lost about a pound a week, nearly 9 lbs in all. This doesn't sound much and is less than people on average seem to lose. But I have difficulty losing weight because my body adjusts too quickly so other diets are simply hopeless for me.

It is certainly doable, the fact that you eat what you like every other day gives you more freedom than any other diet. You do have to be careful not to go totally mad on every UD, and you do get used to the low DDs. It makes you responsible for your own food choices, no penalty foods or free foods, you choose what you like.

For me the big plus is the health benefits, my blood pressure has gone down and I have lots of energy. It feels like a good way to live. I never use shakes or meal replacements, I promised myself that any diet I would only eat food I liked. So I have salads, strawberries, chicken, prawns, low fat yogurts and sorbets on my DDs. Just not much of them!

The disadvantages - everyone seems to get problems with plateaus, it is something you have to accept. The rest of the time the scales do go up as well as down, and if you do Sat & Sun up as many people do you can see a 2-3lb increase by Monday morning. These fluctuations are not "real" weight gains and losses but can be alarming nonetheless. And you can feel hungry on DDs because you never get used to it in the same way as you do with a VLCD. But you know it is only a few hours until tomorrow.

I think this is a good diet but I went into it thinking it would be easier than it actually was. I think the principle of playing with your daily cals and uping and downing is quite good as it keeps the metabolism on the hop but 500 cals is very low and I really couldn't get back to it once I had drifted off it.
TBH I think it is like every other diet out there, if you do it properly you will lose weight.

Absolutely Barb,

If you do it properly it works. I have done WW, SW, LL, CD, JUDDD etc. and while I was doing them PROPERLY I lost on all except SW as free foods got me! Now that I'm back JUDDDing properly I'm losing again. I know from my own experience that I can't do VLCD again; I used to think that I could but i never got beyond a week. This is do-able and therefore a good thing for me. I only restarted last Thursday and have already lost 4 lbs so I'm pleased.

Back