Dried soya mince

Hi Sonnyb
I use it all the time syn free on Extra Easy. The book states "TVP/soya protein made with defatted soya". I have no idea if mine is 'defatted' or not!

Hi Kefolonian at heart,

Thanks for that info, Im doing green and red days. I cant imagine soya being fatty at all, so dont really know what that means! I presume its made from the soya bean. Im using textured soya protein mince and I really like it.

Hi Kefolonian at heart,

Thanks for that info, Im doing green and red days. I cant imagine soya being fatty at all, so dont really know what that means! I presume its made from the soya bean. Im using textured soya protein mince and I really like it.
I use the same...mine comes in bulk from a market so has no packaging but I agree it doesn't seem fatty at all. I soak mine for 15mins in boiling water before I drain and use it and the water doesn't appear to have fat in it! Have you tried the chunks? I'm not so keen on them, they're a bit spongy.
If you find any interesting recipes let me know. I make the usual spag bol, chilli, meatloaf, sausages and I'm also keen to try something new with it.

I use in place of regular mince - I get mine from Holland & Barrett but the bag deffo states that it's de-fatted soya. I'd expect there must be some difference otherwise SW wouldn't bother stipulating 'De-fatted'. However, if you don't get the packaging to check and you're happy with your losses then I wouldn't worry about it.

I dont do anything exciting with it,just shepherds pie and mince n tatties really! I dont soak mine first I just add it as it is and add stock to the pot.

I use in place of regular mince - I get mine from Holland & Barrett but the bag deffo states that it's de-fatted soya. I'd expect there must be some difference otherwise SW wouldn't bother stipulating 'De-fatted'. However, if you don't get the packaging to check and you're happy with your losses then I wouldn't worry about it.
Yippee I think it's all made with de-fatted soya flour!
Textured vegetable protein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back