Dyslexic Newbie needs help - Sorry

Fat Vicky

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me out there. As you will see I am horrifically overweight and my thyroid has finally balanced, so I have decided to do something about being fat. :mad:

I am doing Slimming World and the woman gave me all the books which is great for those who can read them. Sadly I cant read them and the woman at my class is not massively helpful. She doesnt believe that a grown woman cannot read. As you can see, I can type and can listen to posts on here via software on my pc to help me.

If I give you a sample food diary would someone be so kind as to tell me if Im doing it right/wrong/otherwise.

I really will appreciate any help you can give me as I am really getting quite depressed and feel quite alone in this. All the others at class talk about recipies but as you may or maynot know Dyslexia also affects your ability to follow processes which a recipie is :mad:

I feel totally pathetic for posting this but dont know where to turn..

Breakfast
Muller Light & Fruit ( pineapple)

Snack
Alpen Light bar

Lunch
Omelette made with 2 eggs (yikes) turkey ham and mushrooms with a leaf salad
Fruit ( melon)
Muller Light

Snack
Melon and apple

Tea
Chicken breast ( done on the griddle) with half the plate full of salad made up of leaves, mixed peppers and cucumber

(not had pudding yet but if I do fancy something sweet later ( its that time of the month) Muller Light, Apple, Pineapple

I know its a heavy egg day but I normally only have one in a day possibly on a salad but on the days where I have an omelette I dont have the hard boiled on my salad.

As I said I would really appreciate to know if I am eating too much, I am doing the Extra Easy days as to be honest Ive not got a grasp of what the others really mean ( I havent told any of my friends that I am doing this diet as always find that just puts lots of pressure on me)

Thank you so much

V

First of all, I'm sorry you're C has been so unhelpful. That's not really on. Is there another local group you can attend? A good C can make all the difference!

Are you starting on Extra Easy? The main thing with EE is to try and fill your plate with 1/3 superfree (basically fruit and/or veg) and it looks like you're doing that so well done!

But a couple of things do stand out on your menu:

1) I don't think you are eating too much. If anything, you could do with eating more. I weigh less than you but I'm eating much more than this on a day to day basis. The beauty of SW is that you never need to feel hungry as you can fill up on lots of lovely free and superfree food. Personally, fruit and yogurt for breakfast just wouldn't keep me going for long enough. I'm having fruit and yogurt for breakfast today - but I'm also having 2 weetabix as well (my Healthy Extra B). And if I have an omlette or scrambled eggs, I almost always make it using 2 eggs so don't feel bad/guilty about that. No need! If you're hungry, then eat! Likewise, there's no reason why you couldn't have a jacket potato or couscous or rice with your chicken and salad. You don't have to obviously but if you're feeling hungry then you absolutely can.

2) You need to make sure you're having one Healthy Extra A (dairy choice so milk or cheese) and one Healthy Extra B (fibre choice so wholemeal bread/cereal/cereal bars etc) a day. I can't see any milk or cheese anywhere on your list and you need to have some every day as, not only is calcium good for your bones and general good health, but there is some evidence that it may aid weight loss as well. I see you had an Alpen Light bar as a snack. If you were using that as your Healthy Extra B, then you can have 2 if you want. I always do when chosing Alpen Lights as a HEB!

3) I also don't see any Syns on your menu. Use your syns! You need to have between 5 and 15 a day. Syns are an important part of the SW plan as they stop us feeling deprived which help keep us on track in the long term. There is some anecdotal evidence on Mini Mins that using more syns helps with weight loss as well. I use most of my syns every day and I've lost 2.5 stone so don't be afraid of them! You can use them for treats (e.g., chocolate or biscuits) or to add extras to meals (mayo, sauces, gravy) - whatever you want really! Completely up to you. Just make sure you're having at least 5 every day.

Hope that helps, hon. Keep up the good work!

Sorry your consultant is not more understanding.
If you ring head office and explain, they might be able to help. I think they have all the books available on cd for the blind, it might be worth asking them if they can send you copies. Or ask your consultant to find out for you.
Hope that helps xx

Firstly always sunshine's response is fantastic, and actually explained the best way i've heard it!
And secondly, but more importantly, please do not be sorry, you have no reason to be and you are not pathetic!
I am so gutted that your C has treated you this way, it's not on and as littlemisslim has said, i'm pretty sure that you can get the books on tape (or cd as they are nowadays)

It looks like a great day plan wise, eat a little more and make sure to have some syns but other than that, i think anything i say will just be repeating others.

Lots of luck chick, you can do it x

Hello Vicky and welcome to our group. I'm really sorry to hear your consultant wasn't as helpful or supportive as you deserved her to be. This must have been so upsetting and frustrating for you, especially as you've made the effort to join and go along to her group. Clearly she has no comprehension of dyslexia and I'm afraid a lot of people have a lack of understanding or are just ignorant to how this can impact on someone's life.

I think you've received some brilliant advice from the others and the books on disc sound perfect to help you along the way. I also think calling Head Office directly might mean you get something a lot sooner rather than going through your consultant and waiting for a reply.

Please don't feel that you're ever alone as we are all here to help each other along the way. I wish you the very best of luck on your journey. Make sure to keep in touch and let us know if you get the discs and how you're getting along. :)

Thank you all for your advice and support, I have contacted Head office and they have advised that they can get the CDs to me but cant promise how long they would take to get here!! but at least they are on their way.

Sunshine I dont drink milk at all and have always seen cheese ( even the low fat stuff) as Not to eat food. Hence I dont. I do eat yoghurt though.

I do drink lots of water and low cal squash so I keep hydrated.

Im terrified of eating too much thanks to my stupid underactive thyroid. I went to weight watchers before my UT was diagnosed and was accused of lying on my food diary as I was eating nothing and gaining weight. She basically announced to the whole class that I was only lying to myself! ( nice hey) - Hence I will NEVER go to WW again.

I am doing the EE days and each meal has half of the plate full of salad. I sometimes put a teaspoon of low fat humus on the side.

I am going to try and do my own version of rosemary potatoes tonight using the same principles as SW chips but infuse the water with rosemary when I par boil the potatoes and then add some rosemary and garlic to the fry light in the oven. Fingers crossed!!

I feel far less alone thank to all of your comments so thank you so much. Its nice to hear people not judging me on my weight for a change
so thank you all xx

Really sad to hear your consultant isn't being helpful. Have you told her you're dyslexic?

It doesn't look like you're eating too much, there's plenty of super free in there and 2 eggs a day is fine, don't worry (unless you have a cholesterol problem) only thing I spotted was where is the other alpen light? You are allowed two for your b choice, and where s your a choice? (You might have put cheese on the omelette )

another thing, m cousin is dyslexic and has lost 5st on slimming world. Xx

Why are you saying sorry? We are all here to help! Shame on your c! Could you go on the sw web site and use the bit there about the plan?

And a big Hi from me too. Sorry to hear about your consultant, I dont know, never mind. We are all here to help and support you in any way we can. I think perhaps you just had the one alpen because the book does say you can have one as an h e b choice or two. Personally I have two every day, I do the red and green plans but wont confuse you with going through them at the minute. Everything has been said so elequentally on a previous post about your food diary. The main thing is to eat until youre satisfied, not stuffed. And enjoy those syns too. Try to plan your weeks food, it often helps to keep you on track and avoids wasted food. Just keep bobbing on here. :)

That's brilliant news about the CD's Vicky, I'm really pleased you've been able to get that sorted.

I have an underactive thyroid too babe, don't let that rule your head when making food choices anymore. SW is still going to work for you. I'm assuming you are on thyroxine now? Now they've got the right doseage for you, you'll be feeling a lot better and once you can see the weight coming off you'll feel happier to enjoy the plan and eat plenty as it's intended.

I agree with all of the above. And yes, you don't need to apologize. I understand there is screen you can get to put over the computer screen that helps to make it clearer. Have you googled the dyslexic society? That would help you read the SW website. But I really would contact SW. There is obviously an big gap in their understanding that dyslexic participants need help, and they need to make their consultants aware of this.

Thanks everyone, you have all been great.

Judimac, The overlays dont work for me as Im not a photosensitive dyslexic,( but thanks for mentioning it anyway) but I have a wonderful programme on my pc called ReadWrite Gold which is marvellous and reads everything to me!

Yep I told my C that I am Dyslexic but she seemed incredibly dismissive

Am quite proud of myself and have just survived a weekend scoutcamp with out stepping out of line once!

Jeanne, great to find someone else with an underactive Thyroid Ive been on tyroxine for 13 years, they have had to mess around with my levels and Ive landed on 200mg at the moment and fingers crossed I stay at this ( drives me bonkers)

Hollys nan, I get so confused about the whole `Alpen Light' thing hence only eat one ( have been eating 2 ever since tho!) preferred to eat to little than too much

Still struggling to get my Health As into my diet tho :(

I will see how things go with the class but if the C continues to make me feel inadequate then I may go it alone, I now have 30 scouts keeping an eye on me and motivating me. I, of course, have you guys too
:) and I thank you all for your support

Pleasure Vicky! We are all here to help and support each other. You can have two alpen lights, they are built into the plan so enjoy. :)

Back