Eating out

eliana111

Had to go out with work colleagues today which was unavoidable! So ended up at an italian restaurant. I ate grilled chicken In rosemary seasoning and a salad (all approved leafy greens) with balsamic vinegar. Not too bad, right? I'm usually on SS. But switch to SS+ when I feel I need more ! Hope I don't get knocked out of ketosis for this! The meal is okay for SS+ but feel it was waaaaay too yummy to not be bad, you know? Haha.

I'm sure you will be absolutely fine hun, sounds yummy haha! There's worse thing's you could have reached for or ate especially being in an italian restaurant! :) x

Good food choice, you'll be fine. There's no way I could of resisted lasagna if I'd gone into an Italian restaurant... Well done
X

Thanks girls! It was VERRRRRY tempting! Especially with my colleagues ordering yummy food! And I don't has ketostixs! So I have no idea!

Another question, do you have to be in ketosis to lose weight fast (burning ketones) ..?

I think thats the idea. I normally use the urine sticks at work to test for ketones but you can buy them from chemists. I just said I was diabetic and its cheaper to buy them over the counter than with a prescription.
I also get terrible breath.. thats how I normally know im in ketosis.
You done well to resist temptation :)

No you dont need to be in ketosis to lose weight, the ketosis process just helps with the cravings and hunger pangs. Even if you did drop out if ketosis, you be back in it within a day.

cornishkez said:
No you dont need to be in ketosis to lose weight, the ketosis process just helps with the cravings and hunger pangs. Even if you did drop out if ketosis, you be back in it within a day.

Ketosis is the process of fat burning. I thought the idea of cambridge was to kick your body into ketosis so your body burns fat. Ofcourse you can loose weight by not being in ketosis, by using conventional diets and exercise but on this diet ketosis is quite important, I thought it was what helps us get them losses each week. Also I have taken 3 days before to get back into ketosis after being knocked out of it. Everyone is differant and everyone takes differant time frames to get into pr get back into ketosis.
Am I completely wrong lol? x

No, not wrong at all. But you don't need to be in ketosis to lose weight, you could be eating 400kcals a day of pure carbs and you would still lose as much weight, but you would most likely not be in ketosis, because you would be topping up your carb stores. Which would mean the headache, carb cravings, hunger pangs etc would be hell! The process of ketosis is basically forcing our bodies to enter starvation (in a controlled manner). We depleat our glycogen (carbs) stores to the point where our bodies have no choice but to start breaking down our fat stores to produce energy. Our bodies will always use carbs before fat as it's easier to break down and readily available....therefore if you go off plan and eat some carbs, you body will switch to using them up before returning to fat stores and ketosis. If you didn't eat many carbs, then it wont take very long at all for those reserves to be used up and the body to return to ketosis.

When you eat carbs, they are first stored as glycogen, then when your glycogen stores are full they are converted to fat for later on. Where as protein cant be stored as fat, if you dont use it you lose it...which is why if you've got to eat then stick to protein! There is no risk of it being converted to fat.

The problem with relying on ketostix to tell whether you are in ketosis or not, is that the ketostix doesn't actually tell you if you are in ketosis or not?! It only tells you if there are ketones present in your urine. Ketones are the by product of the ketosis product. So if the ketostix shows up positive, it merely means you have been in ketosis at some point in the recent past, not necessarily at that moment in time. The same can be said, if you get a negative reading, you may be back in ketosis, just not passed ketones through to your urine yet? That's why a lot of people say not to rely on ketotix...or not to be down hearted if they dont give you the resding you are expecting? Saying that, I use them all the time :)

cornishkez said:
No, not wrong at all. But you don't need to be in ketosis to lose weight, you could be eating 400kcals a day of pure carbs and you would still lose as much weight, but you would most likely not be in ketosis, because you would be topping up your carb stores. Which would mean the headache, carb cravings, hunger pangs etc would be hell! The process of ketosis is basically forcing our bodies to enter starvation (in a controlled manner). We depleat our glycogen (carbs) stores to the point where our bodies have no choice but to start breaking down our fat stores to produce energy. Our bodies will always use carbs before fat as it's easier to break down and readily available....therefore if you go off plan and eat some carbs, you body will switch to using them up before returning to fat stores and ketosis. If you didn't eat many carbs, then it wont take very long at all for those reserves to be used up and the body to return to ketosis.

When you eat carbs, they are first stored as glycogen, then when your glycogen stores are full they are converted to fat for later on. Where as protein cant be stored as fat, if you dont use it you lose it...which is why if you've got to eat then stick to protein! There is no risk of it being converted to fat.

The problem with relying on ketostix to tell whether you are in ketosis or not, is that the ketostix doesn't actually tell you if you are in ketosis or not?! It only tells you if there are ketones present in your urine. Ketones are the by product of the ketosis product. So if the ketostix shows up positive, it merely means you have been in ketosis at some point in the recent past, not necessarily at that moment in time. The same can be said, if you get a negative reading, you may be back in ketosis, just not passed ketones through to your urine yet? That's why a lot of people say not to rely on ketotix...or not to be down hearted if they dont give you the resding you are expecting? Saying that, I use them all the time :)

I found this very helpful. ;-)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using MiniMins

Ok thank you for the info... very helpful :).
I can always tell by that taste in my mouth and smelly breath... so maybe that makes me lucky in some weird way lol

I get a real gacky taste in my mouth and i kind of feel cold inside?! If that makes sense...but i still find myself checking with the sticks :)

cornishkez said:
I get a real gacky taste in my mouth and i kind of feel cold inside?! If that makes sense...but i still find myself checking with the sticks :)

So many people mention the coldness.... i work at a hospital so have access to urine dipstix so
usually test when im working. Next in tue so will prob test, even tho it tastes like ive drunk blood lol

Lol...the hospital ones are meant to be much more sensitive and reliable. I know a couple of nurses on CD who use ones from work.

Back