Eating too much free food

I eat free food to satisfy my appetite. When I first started SW, I was eating huge portions of rice/pasta/spuds etc. and often ate despite feeling fit to burst. I still lost weight, though! Now I tend to be more moderate, but there are times when I need a good scoff and have a huge plate of SW chips just because I can!

thanks Mollymolly,if I have potato in general its just 1 jacket spud and that doesn't play on my mind so maybe if I portioned my rice accordingly & carried on the rest of sw as normal I would feel better.I really cant afford to fail this time so im getting all my anxieties/worries out in the open now & its def helping

That's the same as me ... potato is fine as it's easy to estimate (1 jacket, maybe 4 medium new pots etc) but I struggle with assessing healthy portions of rice and pasta, so I weigh them. I don't really see it as being contrary to SW to be honest ... for me part of SW is adopting it as a permanent lifestyle change and (as a compulsive over-eater) learning healthy portion sizes can only be something which will stand me in good stead forever :D

very true,as a compulsive overeater also I prob see rice & pasta as a challenge because I could seriously keep on eating & eating & going back for more! but to put it into perspective I ate a large portion or 2 of boiled rice so what,it wasn't fried I didn't also have chips,naan bread & a curry dripping in oil!

very true,as a compulsive overeater also I prob see rice & pasta as a challenge because I could seriously keep on eating & eating & going back for more! but to put it into perspective I ate a large portion or 2 of boiled rice so what,it wasn't fried I didn't also have chips,naan bread & a curry dripping in oil!

Yeah it'd be a lot healthier :) what are your 'standard' portion sizes for rice and pasta? I really struggle with this too and have only recently reintroduced them back in my diet so not sure what a normal portion is xx

Molly, could ypu possibly tell ne what pirtion size of rice/pasta you have? I always get confused with these as I'm not sure if it's dry or cooked weight.

I use dry weight, as I'm usually only cooking for myself and don't have to worry about dividing up a panful... 75g pasta and rice 60-70g (about 1 decent size shot glass full, which is easy to measure :) ) I did toy with the idea of investing in some Rosemary Conley portion cups, but ended up weighing a portion of each and then finding the shot glass and a mug which fitted the portions already in my cupboards :)

Thanks Tamkat ... I've still got a long way to go but I feel so much better already :D

I use dry weight, as I'm usually only cooking for myself and don't have to worry about dividing up a panful... 75g pasta and rice 60-70g (about 1 decent size shot glass full, which is easy to measure :) ) I did toy with the idea of investing in some Rosemary Conley portion cups, but ended up weighing a portion of each and then finding the shot glass and a mug which fitted the portions already in my cupboards :)

Thanks Tamkat ... I've still got a long way to go but I feel so much better already :D

Oh that's fab, thank you xx

Also I think it is important to remember the point of eating til full. Which can be hard but two portions of rice will always have the twice the calories as one. If you feel full (or satisfied) after one portion then don't eat the second portion just because you can.. If you are not physically satisfied (which is differnt to being emotionally or psychologically satisfied) after one portion then have another. I was on green and only lost 4lb in six months. I am pretty sure this is because I ate too much. When I switched to red it is more diffcult for me to over eat on calorie high foods. Green is very good for some people but not for me where I am today. Good luck! Remember - moderation is the key!

All diets are simple physics - you need to expend more calories than you input.

SW, WW, Dukan, Atkins are all variations on this theme - anybody that tells you otherwise is either fibbing or delusional.

No matter how you dress it up, you can't put in more calories than you burn and lose weight - it is physically impossible.

The beauty of SW is that it allows flexibility and also relies on the importance of super-free foods to fill up.

I worry that I was eating too many free foods (most of which are starchy carbs) so have cut back to more modest portions, whilst ensuring i have plenty of super-free to ensure i don't go hungry.

I am use to calorie counting and it is hard not to still do that. I weigh my pasta and potato etc simply because I do not trust my own judgement.
Also I still log all my food in my fitness pal and most of the time it is around 1200 calories anyway. But I use this as a log only and never would not have a free yogurt for example because I don't have enough calories.By eating healthy slimming world foods I just get fuller for my calories so I find I don't fancy 5 biscuits after lunch/dinner etc.
I do not restrict myself at all and still always am not going overboard with calories. It's great!!! X

I am just starting my 2nd go at SW. I fell massively off the wagon about 7 months ago, and the reason was because I started stressing about this type of thing and it all got too much hassle on top of regular life. I stopped trusting the plan, which I had lost 3.5st following Extra Easy successfully without getting my scales out to weigh anything other than my HEX's. I started weighing my pasta and rice and was always worried about avoid too many carbs.

This time I have PROMISED myself I will not do this. I will do Red days if it fits with what I'm eating for the day (like if I want burgers so I can use both my HEBS on Wholemeal rolls) but I will follow extra easy. I will not weigh my carbs. I will eat until I am full. I will not be hungry because I am worried I am eating too much.

Trust the plan. It works

Thankyou all :) I think its the second week syndrome lol all the doubt starts setting in & I get afraid ill be stuck like this forever.I had pasta for tea lastnight didn't weigh it stopped when I was full & felt much better this morning as there was no guilt,amazing what a difference a day makes.I walked home from school run this morning with a massive grin on my face I just know im going to do this,a feeling I haven't felt for a while it was great :)

That's great Tamcat. Im on day one today. Had 2 fruit portions already. Normally I have zero.
Have a good day xx

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Seriously....for those of you that want to weigh 'portions' you need to follow WW!!
I just don't understand why anyone wants to weigh food when you don't have to? I realise some people say they don't know what a 'proper' portion is, well I'd say if it fits on your plate, its ok!! There's only so much you can fit on a dinner plate!
I have followed SW on and off for donkeys years and I can honestly say when I have eaten the most and feel full and satisfied are the times I have lost the most weight, for the simple reason that I wasn't half starved and looking around for more, unhealthy things to eat!

Fill ya boots I say

Seriously....for those of you that want to weigh 'portions' you need to follow WW!!
I just don't understand why anyone wants to weigh food when you don't have to? I realise some people say they don't know what a 'proper' portion is, well I'd say if it fits on your plate, its ok!! There's only so much you can fit on a dinner plate!
I have followed SW on and off for donkeys years and I can honestly say when I have eaten the most and feel full and satisfied are the times I have lost the most weight, for the simple reason that I wasn't half starved and looking around for more, unhealthy things to eat!

Fill ya boots I say

I agree but I measure rice before cooking as I always struggle to judge it by eye, but I tend to weigh out 100g for me. Pasta I just use handfuls as a measure.

Fill ya boots I say

If I was hungry as a result of weighing my carb portions then I would agree with you 100% :) ... but I'm not hungry because I fill up on superfree (and personally get much better losses when I limit my carbs, which probably varies from person to person - everyone's metabolism is different after all :) )

There's a huge difference between weighing everything as WW do and only weighing one portion of carbs a day (plus hexs).

Last edited:
That's the one thing that I love about SW is the not limited and weighing of your free foods! Trust the plan, it works. Ive already lost 2stone with SW. I wouldn't ever even contemplate going to any other club now and Ive tried a few. I also love how things like 1% mug shots and pasta n sauces are free too! So much more freedom. And I feel it's a more helpful way to continue keeping the weight off once you get to target. Weighing all your food out is not natural and psychologically tells you your on a 'diet'.

When I weigh my food it's just easier for me otherwise I just end up with too much and wasting food. Its different to calorie controlling though as, for example if I weighed out 50g of quorn mince for my bolognaise I know that is usually enough to fill me up.. But on a particularly hungry day I wouldn't worry if a bit extra slipped in, because it's free!

I measure rice and pasta but only so there isn't any waste. I can't afford to put food in the bin just because I've cooked too much. No idea what the weights are but I use a small cup for 2 portions of rice and a mug for pasta shapes and a handful for spaghetti.

I don't overcook because neither DH nor myself like cold rice and pasta.

Denise

I am just starting my 2nd go at SW. I fell massively off the wagon about 7 months ago, and the reason was because I started stressing about this type of thing and it all got too much hassle on top of regular life. I stopped trusting the plan, which I had lost 3.5st following Extra Easy successfully without getting my scales out to weigh anything other than my HEX's. I started weighing my pasta and rice and was always worried about avoid too many carbs.

This time I have PROMISED myself I will not do this. I will do Red days if it fits with what I'm eating for the day (like if I want burgers so I can use both my HEBS on Wholemeal rolls) but I will follow extra easy. I will not weigh my carbs. I will eat until I am full. I will not be hungry because I am worried I am eating too much.

Trust the plan. It works

I did exactly the same Kingleds. I lost almost four stone then stopped trusting the plan and piled loads of it back on. I tried WW, 5:2, and allsorts but had very limited success. I'm back with SW now and I'm doing it strictly by the book - only weighing and counting what I'm supposed to. And the proof of the pudding is in the eating - I lost 6lbs in the last week alone and ate LOADS. It works - it just does, no need to sweat it.

welldone on your 6lb loss that's brilliant! x

Back