Ebay thieves

The Caretaker

Silver Member
I have just been on Ebay looking for Slimming World books and was astonished to find people STEALING off unsespecting people there is the new book "Slimming Worlds Little Book of Lunches"
and some is selling it for £13.99 and someone else £12.99 it's only £3.95 how can people do that! I have even seen starter packs for £20.00 what the hell is going on!

The prices are ridiculous aren't they, I can accept that people want to make a little bit of money but some of the prices are so high compared to getting them from a group. I don't go to a group and wouldn't go just to buy the books and then never go back but when I looked on ebay I was quite surprised at how much people were charging.

I find your use of the works "thieves" and "stealing" very interesting. No-one is stealing anything from anyone.

They are saying "I've got something, this is what it costs (or this is the starting price), do you want to buy it (or bid for it)?"

That's how ebay works. No-one is forced to buy or bid. They have a choice.

I find your use of the works "thieves" and "stealing" very interesting. No-one is stealing anything from anyone.

They are saying "I've got something, this is what it costs (or this is the starting price), do you want to buy it (or bid for it)?"

That's how ebay works. No-one is forced to buy or bid. They have a choice.
If people are daft enough to pay the prices then more fool them!
No one is forcing them to pay the prices so don't see how its classed as stealing lol!!

We are supposed to be a careing and supportive group on here? if it was say, one of your relatives or a friend who had bought something you would simply say to them "Well if you were stupid enough to pay for it, tough"? not a very caring or supportive attitude!

I still don't see how its a good thing to be selling something that costs £3.99 for £12.99 or more? It just shows what some people are like i suppose?

We are a caring and supportive group here :)
Ebay has nothing to do with minimins and our support on the forum.
The comments from everyone above are just a matter of opinion.

I totally understand your frustration about the costs but its like anything you buy anywhere.

You could buy a new tv from a catalogue & then find buy it online or in store cheaper.

You could book a holiday through a travel agent then find it is cheaper online.

If you are looking into buying something then do the research first if you want to get the best price or bag yourself a bargain but then that's down to personal choice.
Some people will shop around and others are happy to just pay the price they see.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I personally dont use Ebay but agree with other posters, Its a buyers market out there, and if people are prepared to pay the prices then its their choice. No one forces people to part with their money.

I also have found that everyone on minis have been nothing but caring, helpful and supportive. Sometimes peoples opinions get taken out of context, but their is no malice intended. If we all thought the same the world would be a boring place

I personally dont use Ebay but agree with other posters, Its a buyers market out there, and if people are prepared to pay the prices then its their choice. No one forces people to part with their money.

I also have found that everyone on minis have been nothing but caring, helpful and supportive. Sometimes peoples opinions get taken out of context, but their is no malice intended. If we all thought the same the world would be a boring place
Fare enough, good point well made :) no more to be said :)

I have just been on Ebay looking for Slimming World books and was astonished to find people STEALING off unsespecting people there is the new book "Slimming Worlds Little Book of Lunches"
and some is selling it for £13.99 and someone else £12.99 it's only £3.95 how can people do that! I have even seen starter packs for £20.00 what the hell is going on!

Unfortunately, it's just one of those things. People purchase goods on Ebay sometimes totally armed with all the knowledge they need and sometimes otherwise. To some, they don't want the commitment of joining a group and see the cost of buying SW books offset against this. Others are in total ignorance to the retail cost of these items until they land on the doorstep, but then it's too late and you've already paid and I'm afraid it's just one of life's lessons.

I really do understand your frustration and that you don't want to feel that people are being 'fleeced' but they have a choice whether to buy these items or not. As someone else mentioned, gig tickets are another major source of frustration. My daughter wanted to see Beyonce, tickets were £55-£90, but despite being online and the phone you couldn't get any. Within minutes they were sold out and then up on Ebay. I saw tickets sell for £2000!

Off course in the spirit of Ebay the platform is there to buy what you want and for sellers to make a profit from it, but obviously you will always get an element of those that ask excessive prices or try to make money on postage costs but annoying as it is, if you feel they're taking the proverbial, you don't buy from them.

Last edited:
I have to say I'm one of those people who was daft enough to pay eBay prices for slimming world books. I've never been to group, and don't intend to join at any point, so to me I didn't mind paying the prices (especially for the starter pack etc) so that I knew what I was doing with the plan.

I then discovered minimins and haven't looked back! :) xx

I have to say I'm one of those people who was daft enough to pay eBay prices for slimming world books. I've never been to group, and don't intend to join at any point, so to me I didn't mind paying the prices (especially for the starter pack etc) so that I knew what I was doing with the plan.

I then discovered minimins and haven't looked back! :) xx
Well how daft lol
The books cost more on ebay but going to group each week costs even more so it depends what people want and some people would rather pay a bit more than go to a group to just get the books for various reasons. Some can't actually get to a group either I suppose.
Thank goodness for mini's eh!

Back