Eggs - Free or syn free

Babysham80

Hi,

can someone just clear up for me if eggs are syn free or free foods please??
Thanks in advance!

They're Free foods, but remember even Free foods should be eaten in moderation!

oooh - sweet thanks...
Have managed to iron out an intolerance that I have had for a few yrs so can go back to eating my omelettes now :D

Quoting Squiddies post in FAQ
What is the difference between Free Food and Syn Free?

There is much debate about this, so this is just my take on it. Free foods are foods that you can have as much as you want without feeling guilty. No measuring, no weight - just eat until you're full. Therefore keeping you full up and less likely to snack.

Whereas syn free foods are low enough in calories in combination with their ability to fill you up not to be synned - such as muller lights. With things like soy sauce, herbs etc., you would have to eat incredible amounts to add up to too many calories.

They're free/syn free (same difference!!) but not superfree - ie. if you're on Extra Easy, they can't count towards your 1/3 superfree.

Re the difference I always thought it was just that 'natural' stuff is free food eg eggs, veg, fruit, and 'processed' stuff eg yogurts and pasta n sauce etc is syn free.

My old C always said it's better to eat free food than syn free food to fill you up.

x

Don't eggs cause high cholesterol? So i guess everything in moderation :) I had two poached for my breakkie this morning on a slice of wholemeal toast:) xx

I hardly ate any eggs till SW - so weird you start to lost weight by adding in high cholesterol...ho hum - ours is not to question why?!

yeh if you already have high cholestoral its not recommended to have more than 2 eggs a week this is what a doctor told my mother

The Food Standards Agency no longer puts a recommended limit on the number of eggs you can eat, although I would guess if you have underlying health issues like high cholesterol you might need to limit them.

I think the advice on eggs has changed, and they are no longer seen as 'bad' for you because of cholesterol.

I like eggs, and I find that a couple of omelettes a week tend to really help with my weight loss (but I load them up with super-free foods like mushrooms, onions, other veg etc). They are a real treat, and so good for you in terms of protein etc.

In terms of slimming world, they are free but not 'super-free', so I always have loads of veg etc with them.

It has been known for some time that the cholesterol contained in food does not cause high cholesterol levels in people. There are exceptions and if you have very high cholesterol anyway, or any other medical concerns, you should ask for medical advice on this.

I do have slightly high cholesterol, and take statins for it, but I have been told that eggs won't make the slightest bit of difference.

On the plus side, they are versatile, tasty, filling, and full of protein and vitamins and minerals, some of which (like choline) are not so easy to get from other foods.

Back