Exercise

Guru

Silver Member
Right I need some help.

I hate exercise. Absolutely bloomin' hate it. I find it a mindless chore and it bores the hell out of me.

I don't mind swimming. At one point I was swimming 3 - 4 times a week for an hour each time, but it didn't really help with weight loss. I did feel much fitter though.

Then my fertility consultant told me that swimming is a pointless exercise for losing weight and I lost all motivation to go. So now I go about once a week but I don't enjoy it as much.

I don't really do much other exercise. I walk along the beach a couple of times a week, but it is a stroll, not particularly energetic.

The thought of doing an exercise DVD or going to the gym fills me with dread.

Should I up the swimming? Does it really make no difference? Do I have to just bite the bullet and do some mindless walking/running/aerobics and get over myself?

Hey hon..
to be honest with you since being on cd I havent done a massive amount of exercise.. The first few months I went for a few walks nothing much.. but I found it didnt really change my weight loss very much.. I have started to swim a little and go to the gym..
I personally would swim if I were you its very healthy to be doing some exercise and I am sure it must help you along the way!
xx

Guru... I personally quite enjoy exercise, it certainly makes me feel better about myself afterwards!

But anyway, I think it was wrong of your consultant to say that swimming was a pointless excercise, swimming is one of the best forms of exercise as it gives you a total body workout! (I'd love to go swimming but am not a very strong swimmer and can only manage about 10mins) It will aid weight loss, but best of all it will tone you up! I'd say get back into your swimming... once you really get back into it you'll probably start to enjoy it again!!

GOOD LUCK

Swimming is brilliant for toning the whole body so if that's something you enjoy then def go back to that. On CD, the yellow booklet says swimming and walking are the best exercise to do. If you're not a gym bunny then you could buy some weights from somewhere like Argus and do some weights at home, great for the arms and very easy to do. If you're ss ing you can't be doing too much anyway but when you move up the plans what about a dance DVD workout? Or cheaper and great fun.... stick your favourite uptempo tunes on and just dance away on your own great fun and very uplifting

x

I definitely have to agree with elay on this one, is your consultant mad? Swimming is brilliant exercise, I thought this was common knowledge? Not only is swimming at a moderate to fast pace a good cardiovascular work out that burns lots of calories, but because you are using the resistance of the water it's also good at strengthening the muscles and so good at toning wobbly bits. Also it's low impact so the extra weight being carried won't put strain on the joints like high impact exercise such as running and jumping around everywhere would. On SS swimming is just about the only exercise I do because it doesn't leave me all light headed and feeling weak like other exercise does.

If you enjoy the physical activity you do you are far more likely to stick at it. Personally I wouldn't pay attention to what your consultant has said and would up the swimming to what you were comfortable doing before.

I recently had an appointment with a personal trainer and she said that swimming is good if you are very over-weight as it is really low impact.
She also said that what was important in excersicing is raising your heart rate. ANYTHING that raisies your heart rate is going to help your fitness, even seeing a pair of shoes you really want! There is an optimum heart rate for burning fat and it is not where you are nearly killing yourself, you should feel comfortable and be able to speak.
The other thing to remember is that if you improve your fitness you are make your body more efficient and thus meaning that everything you do then burns more calories AND for your body will be working harder for upto 48 hours after working out.

So from that I concluded that if I want to make my body work for me then excersicing moderately, swimming or cross trainer typ activities 3 times a week is more than sufficient......haven't begun yet though :p

Guru,

Why don't you try aqua running or aqua aerobics, followed by your enjoyable leisurely swim?

Failing that, on weekends a good idea is to walk. There is a lot of lovely walking places in the uk, with anything between 5-20 miles! Me and HB often find somewhere to go and walk. We pack a picnic (him food, me tetra or bar and water) We have a lovely day out!

Next weekend, we are going to go bike riding. We want to find a nice (FLAT) place to hire bikes and have a day out of exercise. Sometimes, in the week while working it is hard to keep up exercise, but weekends are a great time to find that time to 'do' something and you will soon feel the benefits I'm sure.

Big Hugs x x x

Right I need some help.

I hate exercise. Absolutely bloomin' hate it. I find it a mindless chore and it bores the hell out of me.

I don't mind swimming. At one point I was swimming 3 - 4 times a week for an hour each time, but it didn't really help with weight loss. I did feel much fitter though.

Then my fertility consultant told me that swimming is a pointless exercise for losing weight and I lost all motivation to go. So now I go about once a week but I don't enjoy it as much.

I don't really do much other exercise. I walk along the beach a couple of times a week, but it is a stroll, not particularly energetic.

The thought of doing an exercise DVD or going to the gym fills me with dread.

Should I up the swimming? Does it really make no difference? Do I have to just bite the bullet and do some mindless walking/running/aerobics and get over myself?

Guru, got an iPod? I know a couple of people who jog and they reckon listening to podcasts while they're out takes away some of the monotony. And Stephen Fry said on Top Gear that lots of audio books helped him.

I've got a good podcast for running, got different ones to use for different speeds, it's good!

Swimming is a great exercise, especially for those that are overweight. The water takes out pretty much all resistance!

The lack of impact was one of the reasons I took up swimming. It took me ages to pluck up the courage to put my size 22 arse in a swimming costume and walk in front of the stick thin lifeguards to the pool. But I did it, and I got to like it and went regularly. I was gutted when my consultant said it was a waste of time.

However, I never *did* like her :D And I am meeting a new consultant next week who hopefully will appreciate that I am actually doing something about my weight.

Maybe I will up the swimming sessions again. I really cannot go jogging. I'd rather bore my eyes out with a teaspoon.

Swimming isn't as good as say jogging, running and many other exercises. But, it's still an exercise. It's an easier one for overweight people to do. And hey, if you're doing exercise, I really wouldn't knock it!

I love my wii fit and can do what I choose, I enjoy the jogging, the step and also the yoga/muscle workouts.

There are lots of different games too for variety.

i go to Jazzercise and it's awesome! i hate exercise but it's more like dancing. take a friend and have a great laugh. that's what i did and now i go twice a week. it has really improved my fitness x

What exactly is Jazzercise?

I've done some calculations based on your weight...

30 mins of the following activities would burn the following calories...
Swimming - 382
Aerobics - 425
Walking - 255
Cycling - 509
Jogging - 467

So as you can see, swimming isn't as good as some other sports activities, but it's in no way something for your consultant to turn their nose up at! It's still more than badminton which would burn 297 calories as would dancing, hula dancing and gold. It's more than half an hour of football or gardening. More than volleyball, walking, weight lifting or yoga.

It's more than just the calories burned I know. But it's an activity that builds endurance, muscle strength, stamina and cardiovascular fitness. It's quite a relaxing one to do.

The one thing about swimming, which your consultant might have been on about is basically you burn calories while swimming, and that's it. I know it sounds pretty obvious, but it's actually all pretty complicated! You use a good number of calories during swimming, but as I said soon as you're done, the calorie burning is done too. But if you did running or a gym work out or something, even after you've stopped your muscles continue to burn calories for up to 24 hours afterwards I believe. Higher body temp basically increases your metabolism.. I believe! It's basically because the water cools you down. If you run or whatever, your body heats up so it has to work hard to cool down. It doesn't with swimming.

I still think it's a great all round exercise though for general fitness and it will help with losing weight. The way I see it, surely any exercise has to be good exercise!

I'm amazed with myself to be honest, I know a fair bit about sports science and nutrition etc. but yet I'm still fat! I really need to learn the whole putting it into practice bit!

lol @ Caro - you make me laugh!

Why do I make you laugh Emma? I'm sure there are many reasons why I could make people laugh, so thought I'd better check what one this time! :D

I'm amazed with myself to be honest, I know a fair bit about sports science and nutrition etc. but yet I'm still fat! I really need to learn the whole putting it into practice bit!

:giggle:

Back