Extra Easy Extra easy - dont like salad!

Hi,

I have just started at slimming world on the extra easy plan. I know you're supposed to have 1/3 super free foods at each meal but I don't like any salad and sometimes just can't work veggies into the meal ( a bit fussy when it comes to veg too!) - is it ok to have fruit as your super free foods before or after the meal instead?

Thanks on advance - just trying to get my head around it all at the moment!

Helen x

Yes that's perfectly fine

Hi, im sure that as long as you add some fruit each time your having your meal then that will count as your superfree... good luck:)

If you're really worried eat the fruit before your main meal (thus lowering your apetite), or work veggies etc into pasta sauces.

Or another idea is if you roast some veg it's quite tasty and can work as a salad replacement when cold, maybe with couscous or rice.

When people say they don't like any salad, I get a bit confused. Any vegetable that can be eaten cold can go into a salad - I had finely sliced button mushrooms with finely sliced fennel yesterday.

A salad isn't just lettuce tomato and cucumber - it can be anything.

AnnaFaraday said:
When people say they don't like any salad, I get a bit confused. Any vegetable that can be eaten cold can go into a salad - I had finely sliced button mushrooms with finely sliced fennel yesterday.

A salad isn't just lettuce tomato and cucumber - it can be anything.

But if you don't like vegetables you're really stuck. I'd love to be able to eat a salad

That's my problem too, I'm really fussy with salad/veg so I stick to Red and Green days where the superfree rule isn't quite as strict.

But if you don't like vegetables you're really stuck. I'd love to be able to eat a salad

Exactly. I always think salads look so nice, but they taste so nasty! Haha.

I find lettuce bland but I sprinkle it with vinegar & it's lovely. I don't like cucumber or cold tomatoes so my salad consists of lettuce & peppers & I bulk it up with couscous, cottage cheese & maybe some cheese from my HEXA. It's lovely & really filling.

I don't love the taste or courgette so I sprinkle it with pepper & it gives it so much more flavour.

There's so much veg out there & tons of ways to cook it & flavour it so you can enjoy it.

I have to confess to not really understanding to whole dislike of salad and veg thing so this porbably makes me a bit biased on this one.

You could eat fruit as your superfree exclusively I suppose, but I believe that at some point you would likely find it inhibits your weight loss. Fruit has obviously got alot of sugar in it, whereas most veggies don't. Just in general you are supposed to get your fruit & veg intake from 1/3rd fruit 2/3rds veg to ensure you're getting the right blaance of vitamins.

Then theres the eating fruit after meals thing - you're never gonna be able to exercise portion control if you eat a bowl of fruit after your meal, unless you plan on keeping 1/3rd of your plate free of course. Sorry, but if we were any good at portion control we'd probably not be on SW would be?

I am like this too - I could eat fruit all day but I have to force myself to eat veggies. I look for articles about creating meals with hidden veg for fussy children and then hide the veg from myself!

I'm only a couple of weeks into the plan though and I'm already finding my tastebuds are changing from all the fresh food I'm eating (or maybe its just psychological??) I found myself eating my way through a packet of sugarsnap peas which would have been unheard of before SW!

If it helps...our consultant says it is ok to eat your 1/3 not with your meal...as long as you make sure you eat the fruit 'immediately' before or after..i.e. within 5/10mins...if you leave it 20 mins then it won't work and you're not doing the 1/3 free food.

Personally it doesn't bother me as I happily eat veg/salad with my meal (in fact its usually 2/3rds veg/salad!)...but I thought it might help for you to know what others in my group have been advised who don't like veg/salad.

I have to confess to not really understanding to whole dislike of salad and veg thing so this porbably makes me a bit biased on this one.

I was going to say this too but was too scared, there seems to be a lot who don't like veg. I only find it strange as the variety is huge & there's plenty of ways of making it taste good. I'm sure none of us tried every vegetable going so there's bound to be something!

I don't like traditional salad but that still doesn't stop me eating other vegetables. I've found I like a lot more veggies than I thought I did and even some things I don't eat raw like carrots or tomatoes will eat cooked because the texture is different. Experiment with vegetables and you might find you like more than you think!

I'm lucky I love salads & veggies to the extent that I crave them lol

I love this forum I'm the exact same - i HATE salads and veggies! When i do have to eat veg its only carrots or peas i'll take and i'll take them like tablets washed down with some diet coke! :p
I didn't know the fruit had to be taken immediately before or after the meal but i'll remember that one now! :)
What does everyone that doesn't like salads do instead of them then like for lunch and that?? I'm considering making up tubs of cold pasta and fruit for uni but i'm not overly pushed on pasta either so need some really good recipes or the temptation of something tasty will be too much!!

I love a good salad when it's covered in chickenand mayo.....:rolleyes:

I am a bit of a fan of veg tbh, I eat a hell of a lot of it. Can't stand most fruit though..i'll manage an apple, a banana and a bit of pineapple on a VERY good day. Other than that....bleurgh.

Over the years I've found ways to sneak in more salad and veg into my diet. I'll have pasta and sauce on a bed of raw spinach as I don't think you can taste it much and I have a low calorie mayo mix with salad and beetroot (not in vinegar) I'll also grate veg to mix in cooked food. Slowly my taste buds are changing but I feel for people who don't like the taste of most veg as for years I've always wished I could love it as it would make diets so much easier.

I hated vegetables when I was a child. Then I learned how to cook properly and discovered that they did not need to be boiled for hours!

I discovered the other day that a friend of mine who said she hated courgettes had been boiling them - I stopped her doing that and now she can't get enough of them.

In fact, apart from potatoes, I don't boil any vegetables at all. They are either roasted or steamed.

Back