Extra Lean Mince - no longer lean!!

Just always check the fat content per 100g on the back. It needs to be 5g or less per 100g to be extra lean and 15g or less per 100g to be lean.

is this fat or saturated fat?

thanks

I don't understand how tesco frozen mince is free. The nutritional info states that per 100g there's 7.4g of fat. In an earlier post it stated it has to be under 5g to be classed as extra lean/free?

dunno it was on the list my C gave us

Healthy eating extra lean beef mince is free frozen or chilled

Sainsburys Extra Lean Steak mince is free because it has 4.5g fat per 100g

Sainsburys BGTY pork mince is 6g fat per 100 so how many syns in a 500g pack?

Healthy eating NOT light choices! Light choices is 7.5% fat

Light choices is 1 syn per 100g

BGTY pork mince is 1 1/2 syns per 100g

Good job I only eat minced beef!

I bought the new Slimming World Extra Easy Summer Days cookbook in my meeting this week, and whilst looking through it yesterday, I noticed that all the recipes that would probably previously contained extra lean lamb, pork or chicken, now use lean cuts of meat chopped up and whizzed in the food processor.
So, next job is to see if Kenwood still do a mincing attachment for my mixer, I know many moons ago they did.
I just wish SW had made the announcement about the non-existence of extra lean mince, other than beef, before I trawled every conceivable supermarket looking for it!

Luckily I can easily get extra lean ground mince in beef chicken and turkey here in Canada and it is readily available in the US too.

BritMumInCanada said:
Luckily I can easily get extra lean ground mince in beef chicken and turkey here in Canada and it is readily available in the US too.

Unfortunately our supermarkets are too incompetent here when it comes to low fat , sugar etc

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'm not sure why you think they are incompetent - its a question of supply and demand surely. If not enough people buy it then they will stop selling it and sell something else instead because they are a business and not a charity

extra lean beef mince is still free, although when I cannot find it in the supermarket i use lean beef mine and rinse it once I have cooked it so there are no meat juices left on it and I'm sure my consultant told me that was free too!

My local butcher on our market sell ex lean, but how do you know what it is fat content wise I mean? Its cheap as well. £5 for 1kg.

For it to be extra lean and free, it has to contain no more than 5% fat

extra lean beef mince is still free, although when I cannot find it in the supermarket i use lean beef mine and rinse it once I have cooked it so there are no meat juices left on it and I'm sure my consultant told me that was free too!

Sorry but your consultant is wrong on this - technically it should still be synned although doing it once in a while should be a big problem.

Back