Food Costs!

Babysham80 - do I need to be a member to go to the link? I'm doing SW from home so I don't have a password etc :) xx
yes you do chick, sorry, thought you was on the website....

my budget for food is 50 for 4 of (2 adults 8 year old that eats like adult and a 18 month old and pack lunch for dh and dd)
my asda shop is usually 40ish then I top up on bread and milk my 18 month old drinks loads of it.
I used to come in at well over 80 a week but then i found money saving expert Old Style MoneySaving - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
and I learnt so mkuch from them.
always plan your weekly meals trying to use up whats in the cupboard and making meals do more than once and freeze it. If you are like I used to be and forever throwing food away before you get chance to eat it freeze it when u but it. you will be surprised most things freeze.
I pay mainly smart price everything. I find asda cheaper. i don't like asda beans but i buy packs when on offer.
if you have to make pack ups and buy cakes for kids. buy asda 23p victoria sponge mix make into small cakes and freeze them and get one out night before stops you eating them and saves loads.
I find cooking from scratch is cheaper too.
I also feed everyone the same meal and don't buy junk in for the kids they don't need it and it only ends up in my tummy to.
the best thing I did was cut down my coke, I used to buy a 1 pound bottle at work every day plus when ever we went anywhere and 4 bottle from asda. now I have 1 bottle a week asda own brand. I take water to work and juice.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd post this week's Aldi Super 6 ~ All for 59p each!

Funsize Apples, 7 pack
Easy Peel oranges, 750g
Pineapples
Baking Potatoes, 2.5kg
Fine Green Beans, 250g
3 Pack Courgettes, 59p

aldi super 6 rule!!! and at the moment asda have 4pk baking potatoes,aubergines,punnet cherry toms,salad bag and spring onions for 27p each!!
i shop around as much as possible which lowers our bill.
also one thing ive noticed is that in one way my grocery budget has increased if im perfectly honest it hasnt in terms of all of the crap i used to go out and buy on the side!! which is why im the weight i am in the first place!
ok so my grocery budget was officially 150 a month and is now 200-250 but unofficially i was spending 10-15 a few times a week on top of that on chocolate,crisps and more again on eating out.....i didnt really have the money(credit etc) but its what i was dong.
so if i sit down and am honest with everybody and myself i know that actually slimming world is cheaper as well as healthier.

I get a veg bag from my kids school, once a week, which is from our local farmers market. It's a fiver, for five different veg. Sometimes you get stuff that you don't like, or have never eaten (not a bad thing, cos you may discover something new!) It means I don't have to go to the supermarket, or do an extra food shop during the week. And if I find I'm not eating it, I make soup out of it.

There's also a SW recepe book, full of recepes for a £5 (can't remember the real name) but that might be worth investing in. Don't give up though!

Back