Food Costs!

Hiya, i really agree that it can be expensive to maintain a healthy supply of fruit and veg, I certainly have noticed a difference in my weekly shopping bill and i have had to look for ways to cut it down as i cant afford it! but i also know tht i am saving a fortune on takeaways and sandwiches/lunches bought daily from a deli as i now take packed lunch with me.

I think it is all about planning ahead for the week. Some Things i find useful, only three of us to feed, but i always buy a large chicken for sunday lunch and there is always lots leg meat etc left over and i use this the next day for a curry, It always tastes sooo good too. I also find that sainsburys/asda do 3 for £10 on meats. So i always get that (5 pork fillets, 700g extra lean mince, and whole chicken) and will split the large packs of mince into two and pack my meals out with veg. I dont really like frozen veg so tend to buy fresh but i am sick of paying £2 for three fresh peppers, so have just started buying a huge bag of frozen peppers for £1 and they do taste just as nice (which surprised me). Also, beans, branston beans are always on offer, £1 for 4 tins, i always buy four packs and they last me a good couple of weeks. I buy smartprice savoury rice 28p packet which i prefer to the bachelors ones. And i always go to Aldi for my fruit, it really is quite cheap, although i know that they dont deliver. xxx

Yeah I mean i normally buy smartprice stuff i used to feed me and Oh on £10 a week so i know how to budget. I have no problem with buying smart price fruit and veg but as you can see my OH only eat pineapple and oranges which means if i buy asda smartprice and i get a bag of apples a bag of bananas oranges plums and grapes, even tho i love fruit and eat around 3-4 portions a day alot would still end up wasted.

this shopping fingers crossed, with maybe a riverford fruit and veg box could strecth and last us 3 weeks.

I know £100 for 2 weeks shopping for 2 isnt that bad but I just abore buying food shopping! we need it to live lol and they know we do. i work 8am to 6pm so places like pounds shops and stuff just arent an option for me. I think half the prob is my OH and i know that sounds mean! but i looked at asda wafer thin chicken and its £2.74 for 400g! See im lucky i have a big freezer but a small fridge. i used to freeze alot of stuff but since we cant cook fruits without synning them e.g i used to cook apples pears bananas plums i seem to still waste loads of fruit as i cant cook them and freeze them. :( i was shocked about that meat! i love bernard matthews turkey ham and couldnt believe the bargain price! i never used to buy it as it was always expensive!

I tend to buy lots of fruit, which is on offer, I clean it, chop it ..... and FREEZE it ..... if we're not eating it more or less right away! Frozen fruit, uncooked freezes perfectly well, and when you want some you just take out the amount you need a few hours beforehand, you can sprinkle with a little sweetener and there you go! All SYN FREE! I do the same with veggies too! If you can buy what's in season, it's usually much cheaper, I know you said you don't have too much freezer space, and I confess that can be a problem here too, but it's an idea?

I'm not bothered about eating the same thing more than once in a week! My food diary for the past week or so has included 4 lots of butternut squash risotto and 4 servings of ham minestrone, lol! As long as it's nice I don't mind eating it for a few days :) I'm trying to decide whether it would work out cheaper to shop online or not. I tend to go to Tesco or Morrisons, so I could get a delivery from Tesco. We have an Aldi near us but I really lack enthusiasm when it comes to going to more than 1 shop (or 2 at the very most!). Has anybody given up shopping in person in favour of online shopping? xx

My shopping bill has halved since I sarted getting a veg box. I get mine from 5adaybox - fruit and veg box supplies in the South West they are absolutely fab!! Real good quality stuff :) I get our box, a small one, for £11.95 a week adn it has more than enough to keep our family of 2 adults and two toddlers (I usually end up cooking equivalent of 3 adult portions a day). They compare the price of their large box weekly against what the same would cost in the main supermarkets each week, it usually comes out at around £32 from the supermarket, the large box costs £19.95. And all their deliveries are free!!!!!

I would def check it out!! xxx

Last edited:
I spend around £100 a week for four adults, a teenager & five year old. This includes everything except the old man's wine (don't ask!)

When I first started SW it was quite a bit higher, as I bought everything that was free food with the idea of making all this stuff. The amount of times I threw away out of date Quark, yoghurt, fromage frais etc etc. Now I try to plan my meals for the week & just buy what I need.

I buy two packs of low fat sausages & that does two weeks for the two of us doing SW. For the others I buy frozen sausages. Fairly decent, like Walls, but still work out cheaper than the low fat ones.

I buy 5lbs of cubed stewing steak from a local butcher because it's much cheaper than the supermarket. Split it into 1lb bags & add a couple of kidneys to each one & you have the basis for stew.

I'm glad my bills are back down to where they used to be, but even so I still have to really watch what I spend. I don't buy fruit like cherries or strawberries unless they're reduced, because I just think they're so ridiculously priced. This healthy eating malarkey is expensive isn't it?

I get a large veg box from Riverford every 2 weeks (costs £17ish) and that feeds 3 of us easily. The only veg I sometimes have to buy more of is potatoes and sometimes onions as I tend to use at least 1 large one a day in something or other. The veg is great quality and tastes lovely and I find it keeps for much longer than the supermarkets veg. I had a large lettuce in my box on Tuesday last week and it's still fresh as a daisy in the fridge. I love the element of suprise with each box, and although i could check the website to see what I'm going to get I never do as I love rummaging through my new box to see what I've got! Here's a link to the website Home Delivery - Riverford Organic Vegetables.

I find it difficult also

I use www.approvedfoods.co.uk and do an order for my mum as well so we halve the p&P. (we buy ryvita etc and stuff for o/h packed lunches etc)

The other think i do as i do EE is make a big pot of veg soup and have some of that as a "starter" so i always have 1/3 superfree, then i have something cheaper for my "main" like a jacket and cottage cheese.

I buy frozen fruit (sainsburys 3 for £5 at mo) and take a portion out every night and have in the morning, mixed in with some cheap natural yogurt (i buy a big tub) and my porridge (HEB)

I tend to buy lots of reduced stuff and freeze it and try and get my veg cheap as going soup.

May be this will give someone some ideas?

Carla

My grocery budget for the month is £150 whether it's a 4 week or 5 week month. It also includes around £30 for baby milk, £25 for nappies, and £15 for dog food. Which only leaves £80 to feed 2 adults and a 2 year old for the entire month!

You can get some really good ideas about cutting down costs on moneysaving sites. Personally I tend to do a big shop online for the things which will last a whole month to cut down on postage and then pick up perishables as and when needed. Really, since I get frozen veg the only things I really need to pick up are milk and fruit (but I could get UHT milk and frozen fruit and be sorted for the entire month!). I also find that green is much cheaper than red but to keep the costs down on red or ee you could make 'rubber chicken' (roast a chicken on a Sunday and make the meat stretch to as many meals as you can in the week).

I would definitely have a look at a supermarket comparison site if I were you. I find with most of the shops I do Tesco ends up cheaper than Asda so it may surprise you!

My shopping bill has halved since I sarted getting a veg box. I get mine from 5adaybox - fruit and veg box supplies in the South West they are absolutely fab!! Real good quality stuff :) I get our box, a small one, for £11.95 a week adn it has more than enough to keep our family of 2 adults and two toddlers (I usually end up cooking equivalent of 3 adult portions a day). They compare the price of their large box weekly against what the same would cost in the main supermarkets each week, it usually comes out at around £32 from the supermarket, the large box costs £19.95. And all their deliveries are free!!!!!

omg i cant bellieve how much you get! im deffo gonna try them :) thanks hun!

Everything seems to have gone up apart from my wages.
I am the wage earner in my household as my hubby is a househusband. we have 3 boys and it costs a fortune to feed us all !!

I was all excited then as I've been trying to find one of these who'll deliver to my area. Unfortunately these people don't yet. :(

To the person who lives in Devon...(kissme???) where abouts are you? Im in Paignton and have a company called 5aday deliver my fruit and veg and they are brill. Google it and it even tells you how much you save compared to the supermarkets, worth a look.

Sorry should of read all the thread lol and seen 5aday is already mentioned! Also you get your second box free and occasional free items. Also theyre very good if anything isnt to your satisfaction you just ring/email and youll get something free in your next box. I highly recommend.

I have a budget of £50 a week between me and hubby and we don't scrimp on anything, and we're never hungry! But it does reduce the amount we waste!

I plan what we're having for dinner/lunch for the week. Once a month i'll buy a big pack of turkey mince and split it in two, make a big pot of chilli and a big pot of bolognese, then freeze it in meal sized tubs for during the month. It's also handy if you don't have time to cook something from scratch!

Once i've planned the meals for the week, I write down all the ingredients i'll need to buy to make them. I try to have things that use similar ingredients. I use a lot of peppers and chicken in recipes so I'll buy a big pack of chicken and split it down into pairs of breasts in food bags, then shove them in the freezer (to stop them going off before I use them).

I also try to get the furthest away dates (obv.) and use the meat in order of date that it goes off.

I use a lot of frozen veg which quite often works out a lot cheaper than fresh/tinned and tastes just as good! I always have a bag of chopped onions, peppers and peas in my freezer! I use them in EVERYTHING.

If you have an Aldi near by, go there and get your fruit and veg. It's always good quality and they do their super 6 every week where they have 6 fruit or veg priced at 69p. Excellent value. Well worth the detour!

And as others have said, own brands as far as possible. I too only buy coca cola brand diet coke, but try other things, some of them are just as good as the big brands!

I get a large veg box from Riverford every 2 weeks (costs £17ish) and that feeds 3 of us easily. The only veg I sometimes have to buy more of is potatoes and sometimes onions as I tend to use at least 1 large one a day in something or other. The veg is great quality and tastes lovely and I find it keeps for much longer than the supermarkets veg. I had a large lettuce in my box on Tuesday last week and it's still fresh as a daisy in the fridge. I love the element of suprise with each box, and although i could check the website to see what I'm going to get I never do as I love rummaging through my new box to see what I've got! Here's a link to the website Home Delivery - Riverford Organic Vegetables.

have you tried fruit/salad/meat box..... was thinking ordering meatbox but seems expensive?

Like everyone else - I shop about for the bargains!! Don't forget to check the bargain sticky thread :)

I absolutly hate frozen veg - it always tastes so watery to me :( Apart from pea's that is, but we never eat them now there synned on red days, lol

I just get the offers on fruit & veg & keep my meat stocked up in the freezer. I ofen get bulk meat from the meat man & freeze it all, this means I hardly buy meat when doing my food shop which saves me money!!

1Andrex Fresh Moistened Toilet Tissue Sheets Refill£1.00 - luxury item
1Andrex Fresh Moistened Toilet Tissue Tub Wipes£1.92 - luxury item
1ASDA 20 Drawstring 30L Tall Kitchen Bin Liners£2.00 use carrier bags or rinse bin out
3ASDA Baby Plum Tomatoes£3.00
3ASDA Back bacon - smoked£5.00
1ASDA Baking potatoes£1.87 could you buy a sack of spuds from a farm shop?
1ASDA Bread mix - wholemeal£0.65
1ASDA British Iceberg Lettuce£0.97
3ASDA Cheesy curls- cheese£3.00 personally I wouldn't buy these
1ASDA Freshly Frozen Fine Whole Beans£1.021
ASDA Fusilli pasta£3.00
3ASDA Garden Gang Orange Wedges£1.00 wedges will be more expensive than whole oranges. You are paying for convenience
1ASDA Green Seedless Grapes - punnet£1.50
1ASDA Kitchen foil - thick£1.55
2ASDA Lamb mince£5.00
3ASDA Large Pineapple£3.00 good price but will you eat 3 before they go off?
1ASDA New potatoes£1.37
1ASDA Red grapes - punnet£1.50
2ASDA Round lettuce£1.14
2ASDA Shades Power Towels£2.50
1ASDA Shades White Toilet Rolls£7.81
1ASDA Smartprice Bananas£1.42
2ASDA Smartprice Chicken breast - fillets£7.48
3ASDA Smartprice Cottage cheese - low fat£1.38
1ASDA Smartprice Mushrooms£0.87
1ASDA Whole black peppercorns£1.22
2ASDA Whole cucumber£1.52
2Baco Zip 'n' Seal Resealable Sandwich Bags£2.00 IMO a luxury item. I buy value food bags which are about 30p!
5Batchelors Pasta 'n' sauce - cheese and ham£2.00 convenience food - don't buy em!
4Bernard Matthews Wafer Thin Turkey Ham£4.00 I tend to buy a gammon joint for about 3 quid and boil it and slice for ham. Much nicer and you get lots more
2Cadbury Curly Wurly£1.94
2Coca Cola Coke Zero£8.00
2Colman's Casserole sauce - shepherds pie£1.24
1Colman's Chicken casserole£0.62
1Colman's Chilli con carne dry mix£0.62
1Colman's Pour over sauce - Cheddar cheese£0.42 nearly £3 on packet sauces which can be made with spices and storecupboard ingredients (once you have them)
2Heinz Baked beans - original£4.00
2Inspire Peeled Maris Piper Potatoes£1.00 if these are peeled, you'll be paying more for convenience
2Kerry LowLow Freshly Grated Mature Cheese£2.00
2Quark soft cheese£1.40
2Stonegate Farmers Free Range eggs - mixed weight£3.84
1The Laughing Cow Light Cheese Spread Triangles£1.63
1Weetabix Oaty Bars - Chocolate£1.37

Hi hun,
I've added my personal opinion to your shopping list. We don't struggle for money but I do keep an eye on things because I don't like to spend unecessarily. I would never buy packet sauces or convenience style foods as this is where the food bill can go up.
I've stopped buying so much fruit, I used to get lots and lots of exotic fruit but then eat it because I had it, not because i was hungry. Recently I've been buying pears for 70p, apples for 70p and smart price bananas. That's it! The exotic fruit is nice but I don't find it necessary any more.

I also get a sack of spuds for a fiver from a local farm but it's the end of old potatoes now so they're not so good.

Hope this helps a bit.

Back