Food Costs!

Sorry ~ Gettingthinnerbytheday, I really didn't mean to offend, I just thought I might have been missing out on them because I wasn't prepared to Syn for them, and if they had turned out not to be Syns I was a bit miffed ......... probably that's why my post sounded a bit "abrupt" :ignore: so just ignore me!

Haha - don't worry about it. It's sometime's hard reading what is written as you don't get to "hear" how it's ment - IYSWIM??

I was gutted when I found out Pea's & Sweetcorn were synned foods on red days - thats probably where some of the cause of my weight gain had come from as I always had pea's & sweetcorn & I mean always!! lol

I Love to have a fridge full of nice fresh foods & thats my problem - I just can't help myself when shopping!! lol

Thats fabulous, I don't know how you do it, please tell, do you have meal plans etc? I would love to get my shopping bill down, I used to do pretty good spending about £300 per month, 2 adults and two kids, but since SW and OH's low fat special diet I just seem to be forever in the supermarket, buying fruit, vege, yoghurts tbh its really getting on my nerves.

Well to start with I only do green days i.e. no meat. Which help tremendously on the shopping bill. We have fish once a week. At the moment Tesco's have Salmon 2 packs for £5, so that's two weeks worth. We plan our meals, but unless we buy some reduced veg and fruit those can change at the last moment. These are are basic meals for example

Monday 5 bean chillie served with rice
Tuesday Garlic Mushroom Pasta
Wednesday 5 bean chilli served with rice (second portion of a large batch)
Thursday Mushroom Strognaff (with left over mushrooms from garlic mushroom pasta)
Friday Stuffed Peppers with couscous and salad
Saturday Tesco's meatfree burgers served with SW Chips and Coleslaw
Sunday Mixed vegetable roast (i.e peppers, potatoes, squash, tomatoes and onions)

The children have nuggets and fish fingers etc served with pasta ,rice or chips and the same vegetables as us. Sometimes they will try the veggie option as well, but I do have to bribe them.

Lunches 1 pack wholemeal rolls (husbands) 1 pack multigrain ryvita

1 small block reduced fat cheese
2 x packs of Aplen Lights
6 Mullerlights
12 eggs (£1 Iceland)
1 x wholemeal loaf (children's)
1 pack ham (childrens)
1 pack Laughing Cow
1 pack laughing cow lights
1 large bottle diet coke
Milk (which at the moment is 4 litres for £1.50 at FarmFoods)
And fruit and veg of course (this is probably the most expensive bit, but I buy these from a local veg stall and aldi's and lidl's).
2 x packs of Tescos meatfree burgers (£3 for 2 packs at the mo)
1 x Linda McCartney Sausages (£1 Iceland)

I can be easily done, plus on top of this I have £11 dog food per month and about the same for the cats and £4 fish food.

It does help that we eat similar foods. I shop mainly at Tesco's, Aldi's, Lidls and sometime Morrisons and Iceland. I don't ever do a bulk shop, it's a waste of money and you always end up buying stuff that you don't really need. Apart from Yoghurt's and cereal bars and the meatfree burgers or Linda McCartney Sausages we don't eat any process food, make all our sauces from scratch.

But the most important thing is sometimes I plan meals but most of the time I can get good veg and fruit reduced and plan my meals around those. I have alot of spices and herbs in my cupboards which I have collected that can make a plane simple veg meal quite interesting and satisfying.

I have to budget, I lost my job at Christmas and my hubbies money is very limited. But it can be done. Sometimes we go without stuff, but at the day the stuff we go without is only luxuries and not necessities. :)

Edited to say that my children eat once a week at my mums and once a week at in-laws, so this saves 2 children's meals a week, but they hardly eat anything so it doesn't really effect the budget.

Last edited:
My problem is local supermarket is tesco's .... they have no offers on fruit/veg etc and its just coz its local!

Ive done a online shop at asda (just in comparison not actually brought) and was over £30 cheaper!!!

Online shopping is way cheaper IMO. You don't get impulse buys and you get to see exactly what you are spending as you go along. Okay so you pay a fiver delivery but this is worth every penny saved in time, petrol and impulse purchases!

Online shopping is way cheaper IMO. You don't get impulse buys and you get to see exactly what you are spending as you go along. Okay so you pay a fiver delivery but this is worth every penny saved in time, petrol and impulse purchases!

I never do a bulk buy (well since starting SW) because I would had extras. I general buy most stuff on a daily basis and work around any reduced fruit or veg that I buy. It saves a fortune. Maybe it's easier for me because I can walk to the local high street have a look around and decide on that day's or the next couple of days meals.

I grow loads of my own vegetable - that works out cheaper as you can blanch & freeze it too. Also if you have a Poundstretcher or Instore (whatever they are called this week) they had some vegetable storage bags which are green & they keep your veg fresh for a few weeks in the fridge (sorry I can't remember what they are called), also I shop for my meat at the local market & try to look round for the bargains & stock up when I can. All that said though I do agree that shopping for SW is more expensive than buying the c*ap that got us all here in the first place....

Julie... it can be, because of the extra vegetables, but it can be got around. I was on a limited budget before I started SW and actually we are about the same budget now. I have learnt from a very good shopper (my mum) and she has taught me well....lol.

I grow my own too, it's fab in the summer with all the salad veg and courgettes, aubergines and peppers and this year I should be okay for the winter too as I have more space for cabbage and sprouts etc but even if you have limited space I would advise a grow bag of salad leaves and a tomato plant in a sunny spot, it will save a fortune over the summer!

Ollie, I wish I could go to the shop each day but time constraints mean I barely have time to do a weekly shop let alone daily, I guess it's finding what suits the individual!

I really think it's not expensive to eat healthily, dried pulses are so cheap making green days very inexpensive - more green and less red peeps!!!

I consider myself lucky to be able to. I lost my job, so now I have the extra time. But if I was working, it would probably be a weekly shop because that would be easier.

And I agree that green day's are alot easier on the old purse...lol

Thank you Olliebog, I am going to be cooking some of those meals to try and keep down the shopping bill, which seems to be spiralling out of control atm:confused:

Can you give me the recipe for the bean thing and especially for the garlic mushroom pasta.

Also one more question, what do you buy to put on sandwhiches for your OH's packed lunch?

Wish I will look out the recipes and post them here shortly.

When I buy the low fat cheese in a block I grate the whole thing and keep it in a box in the fridge and he has the same as me. Sometimes he has egg mayo, sometimes boiled eggs with a bit of salad cream, cheese salad... Cheese Triangles and cucumber. Sometimes just plain salad. There can be a lot of variations. he says he doesn't mind having the same as long as it is filling (he's on SW with me so makes life alot easier for us).

Be back soon with the recipes!

This recipes will make loads, 4 big portions or 6 small portions, or even 8 if you would like it on jacket potatoes only and I always freeze what remains either for during the week or for next week.

5 Bean Chilli

2 x Onions
handful of frozen peppers (or you could use a fresh one, but are cheaper frozen from Iceland)
Tin of Value Baked Beans
Tin of Kidney Beans in chilli sauce (from tesco)
Tin of Haricot Beans
Tin of Cannellini Beans
Tin of value tomatoes
Hot Chili Powder (as much as you like, but I put a teaspoon worth in)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic
1/2 veg stock cube

Cut onion finely in rings and fry with the chilli powder and garlic until coloured or cooked through, then turn the heat down. Open and drain the Haricot Beans, Cannellini Beans and then wash them in cold water to remove the starchy liquid, put these in the pan with the onions, garlic and chilli powder, then add the peppers, baked beans with the juice and the chilli kidney beans also with their juice and the tinned tomatoes. Give the mixture a good stir so that the beans are all mixed together,. Let this simmer for a while with a lid on (I find it better to do in a frying pan rather than a saucepan, or even a wok would be good). Check every few minutes to make sure the chilli is bubbling but not boiling.

Finally, add a small amount of boiling water to your stock cube about 1/5 of a pint and add this to your beans a little at a time until you get the consistency you would like your chilli at, sometimes I like a thick sauce, sometimes a thin sauce, depends whether your having it with jacket potatoes or rice.

Cook your rice or jacket potato to your liking and there you go! 4 or 6 meals at very little cost!

I'll post the garlic mushroom one later today.... being forced off the computer now... :(

Last edited:
Same here, over £100 for a family of 4, and 4 days in most of the frsh stuff had gone off, not to mention the strawberries only lasting a day!

Hi I just thought I'd let you all know that the Slimming World Website has a "Cheap as Chips" budget 7 Day Extra Easy Menu Planner in the Student's Section which gives a sample menu (without snacks, by the looks of it) for "less than the cost of a fish & chips supper" it gives a shopping list with it based on Tesco from January 2010, totalling £30 for the week, so that's £4.60 per day .............. they say it's a bargain price

I know for me planning menus weekly & shopping online saves me money. Also shopping how my Mother used to do it by going to various shops/supermarkets to get the best prices. Time consuming I know but worth it. I appreciate if u work then time is not on ur side & going to the 1 supermarket to do a whole shop is easier. I find that I plan our menu around what we can all eat as a family making double quantities at times saving time.

i was spending a clean fortune on my food shopping but i have planned my meals out now and i spend alot less and im swapping alot of branded food for own brands ie frozen veg and pasta

I make my dinners at night with extra so i have a lunch the next day for most days and its working out cheaper

I also source my fruit and veg from lidl as its well cheaper than tesco and asda i dont need it to keep too long because its getting eaten before it has the chance to go off

Fat free youghurts supermarkets own brands are just as nice ( and some nicer ) mullerlight

i drink alot of 7up zero and lidl have it on offer so i get that there along with spices and herbs and pasta and frozen veg and potatoes and tinned toms etc etc

shop around for bargains and stock up if there is bargains it might cost more that week but it will cost less in weeks to come when you are still using it

here it is dudette

Lifeline Online - log on.

just realised the log in stops you going to link... If you look on the left hand menu there is a student area button 3rd from bottom. Click on that then click on the tuck in here link to go to the menu

Last edited:
i am guilty of buying too much at once we try to make it to the shops twice a week now because of perishables, especially things like salad i love spinach watercress etc. but it only has a shelf life of about 3 days if that!!

i do try to buy my fruit at the greengrocers which is just outside where i work but its a clart on... but i can get 2 punnets of grapes for £1, in ASDA theyre £3 each!!

Back