Food on the go - help! I'm a Newbie :)

Tetris

Gold Member
Hello MiniMins!

Today has been my first day with SW on Extra Easy and I've found it a breeze!

However, I had the day at home today so my slight concern is: What happens when I'm out of the house?!
I often work awkward hours on location (as a filmmaker) and usually rely on snacks like crisps and cereal bars to keep me going as they're a quick reach when I don't have much time to eat on set.

Other than fruit, what is quick and easy to pack for a lunch on the road/out and about? Things that can go several hours without being in the fridge would be a bonus... I'm looking for alternatives to wholewheat sarnies as I'm a huge breakfast person and love scrambled eggs on toast and cereal so recon on most days I'll use my HEB's in the morning!

I figured Pasta salads in tupperware's etc will work, but am looking for ideas I can either grab ready or prepare in a few minutes if possible, (for when I'm leaving the house on short notice, but mainly because I'm not the most organised person and tend to always be running late :p) though I guess I should be getting into the spirt of preparing the night before?

Well- any suggestions would be great! :eek:

Many thanks...

x Sophie

What about savoury rice, they're really handy. Just cook it the night before (takes minutes) and pop it in a tupperware box ready to grab on your way out the next day. You can add your own veggies to it to bulk it out a bit (and incorporate your 1/3 SuperFree!) and even pieces of chicken / ham / etc.

You could make some homade soup and take that with you in a food flask so that it stays warm until you need it. You could set yourself a day where you make up a big batch of soup - it will keep for days in the fridge and you can just refill your flask as and when you need it. There are loads of gorgeous recipes on here for different soups.

There's nothing to say you couldn't take a packet of ham / chicken with you too, just as it is. I often snack on slices of ham at work, really handy!

There are loads of low Syn crisp type snacks, too. Velvet Crunch are only 4 Syns a bag and come in salt & vinegar, sweet chilli and cheddar and onion flavours. Ryvita Mini's are also great - you can have any flavour 30g bag for a HExB.

Things like Alpen Lights (or HiFi Lights, if you go to group) can be a saviour at times like this as well. You can have 2 for a HExB or they are 3 Syns each. Really handy to just pop in your bag and snack on when you're feeling peckish.

I've got a little cooler bag that keeps my food pretty cold, especially if I freeze a small bottle of water to pop in there alongside my food.

This way you could pack up some cottage cheese, crispbreads (I am currently loving scan bran simply because they keep me full all day!), a little salad maybe.

if you are passing a supermarket sushi is a good alternative to sandwhiches. 1 1/2 syns for 100g. Tescos do some low syn salads in the same section as well - the falafel one is free. Have some more salad with it and fruit for pudding and it is all on plan.

On the savoury rice again, you can add a pack to a normal or food flask in a morning, top up with boiling water, give it a couple of shakes throughout the morning and by lunch you have perfectly cooked, hot, savoury rice :)

Oh Tesco falafel salad thats free!! I though all falafels had syns going to have a look for this one!!

Thanks for all the ideas!
Savoury rice sounds great. I had a mugshot yesterday and loved it! I'm going to look out for a flask today as I currently am without one.

Sushi- yay! Great to know I can pick something from supermarkets so easily. Is all sushi synned roughly the same or is there anything I should avoid? I read somewhere that Wasabi has syns, so I guess looking for without that?

Many thanks :) x

hard boiled eggs are a bit of a saver for me - as they are quite filling. Also I save my healthy extra b and have a HiFi bar - they do yummy chocolate and peanut ones x

I cook up a huge frittata or quiche and cut it into slices. Put in loads of veggies fresh or frozen to make up my super free. I freeze half then take a slice every day. Also make up a big soup and do the same, freeze half and pot the rest up. This way I only have to make lunch once per week and it saves loads of times. Film making - how exciting!

I cook up a huge frittata or quiche and cut it into slices. Put in loads of veggies fresh or frozen to make up my super free. I freeze half then take a slice every day. Also make up a big soup and do the same, freeze half and pot the rest up. This way I only have to make lunch once per week and it saves loads of times. Film making - how exciting!

I've been looking at doing a frittata this week but not sure how long I can keep it in the fridge for, any ideas? Thanks :)

Mini quiches
savoury rice and salad
salad with ham, tuna, cheese, crab sticks, chicken etc
ryvita minis with laughing cow cheese
homemade soups in a flask
chopped fruit
hifi bars
Alpen lights
hartleys pots of jelly
mug shots or pot noodles in a mug if you have access to a kettle
pitta pizzas
babybel cheese
sandwiches or rolls using bread as your heb
fresh slices of meat
chicken drumsticks
new potatoes
quorn chicken style nuggets
mullerlight yogurts

Just made a pasta salad and a mushroom curry for my thermos as i have an 8 hr train journey to my mums tomorrow my little boy Has beans and sausage in his (not sw) but dont forget you can have tinned beans and spaghetti or spaghetti hoops in tomato sauce on sw ee syn free (always have em in for Emergency cant be arsed days lol)

Thanks- Lots of great ideas there MrsWilsoncroft! Definitely going to get on the new potatoes and try making one of these pasta quiches!

Thanks- Lots of great ideas there MrsWilsoncroft! Definitely going to get on the new potatoes and try making one of these pasta quiches!

How you been getting on with the food on the go then Hun? Hope you've managed to find some good stuff xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back