Food price

SlimmingEve

Due to the amount of super free food that needs to be eaten on slimming world, I have noticed it can get quite expensive. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to save on super free food?

Thanks

Eve x

Buy frozen where you can & look for special offers, try & buy food in season, look on the 'bargains' thread, just can't remember the title.

Shop at Lidl & Aldi;)

I agree with happy holidays. Buy frozen veg and it can be cheaply added to all kinds of meals :)

If you're eating one third super free foods, then you are probably cutting down on proteins and carbs, so it sort of balances out

Shop around, I use aldi, lidl and an asian supermarket near me and what what is cheapest in that particular shop.Have a look for local small shops or farm shops, sometimes they sell local fruit and veg cheaper than the supermarket. Like the people above I use a lot of frozen as it's cheaper and it doesn't go off so less waste.

If your able to, go to the supermarket and check out the 'whoopsie' section. (Towards closing time is better or on a Sunday ).
I find that if I go and they have a bag of carrots, onions and courgettes etc reduced to 20p I pick them up. I then go home and find (or usually make up) a recipe to use them. I always have lentils, pulses, beans and normal store cupboard ingredients in . I then freeze half of my invention, normally a soup, curry, chilli or stew. I keep hold of my margarine tubs and write on the lid -ready for when I can't be bothered cooking!

As said in other posts , Aldi and Lidl are great for fruit and veg. Spesh Aldi's super 6.
It makes me have to think bout what I'm eating and changes my menu up too!

I don't think super free is expensive to be honest, carrots are always cheap, as is cabbage and swede. It goes a long way too.
Buy seasonally is my top tip!

Make friends with people who grow their own vegetables, or pop down to your local allotments. They are probably giving courgettes away - most people I know who grow them can't keep up with them this year!

Aldi all the way, and buy the cheap superfree veg that can be used to bulk out meals at minimal cost such as carrots :)

I love Aldi now, the quality is good as well. OK you dont always have as much variety, I go to Aldi first, then if they dont have what I want then I nip to Asda. :)

Aldi rocks

Im lazy so I get frozen onion green beans and peppers. . These last a month ..

Value passata
Tinned mushrooms - under 50p does 2/3 meals

Think outside the box too - chopped carrots cucumber and cherry tomatoes make great snacking. . And what's left over gets put into tea

Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I use frozen onion too, and frozen peppers. As well as being more economical, I find it helps me stay on track more, knowing I don't have to start peeling and chopping onions when I get in after a day at work. I also use economy brands with certain things - chopped tomatoes, passata, kidney beans, etc because I really can't tell any difference - only in the price!

I use frozen onion too, and frozen peppers. As well as being more economical, I find it helps me stay on track more, knowing I don't have to start peeling and chopping onions when I get in after a day at work. I also use economy brands with certain things - chopped tomatoes, passata, kidney beans, etc because I really can't tell any difference - only in the price!

Hi Chocko1, I've been looking at the frozen peppers - could you advise me if they stay crunchy when cooked or do they go soggy? Most stir fry veg that I've bought frozen before aren't anywhere close to as nice as the fresh veg :( Thanks!

Hi Chocko1, I've been looking at the frozen peppers - could you advise me if they stay crunchy when cooked or do they go soggy? Most stir fry veg that I've bought frozen before aren't anywhere close to as nice as the fresh veg :( Thanks!

They go soggy with cooking & are not like fresh at all, but I like them in curry's etc & much more economical than fresh ones.

Hi, Time to diet, To be fair, there's nothing like the real thing, I suppose but, if I'm pushed for time, they make a good substitute. They don't stay as crunchy though, no. The onions, on the other hand, I think, are much better to use than the real thing because I never think fresh ones soften up enough in Frylight but, with the frozen, you can just whack them in without having to pre-fry and they soften perfectly. If I am using fresh onions though, I usually soften them off a bit in the microwave first.

Kathy x

Hi, Time to diet, To be fair, there's nothing like the real thing, I suppose but, if I'm pushed for time, they make a good substitute. They don't stay as crunchy though, no. The onions, on the other hand, I think, are much better to use than the real thing because I never think fresh ones soften up enough in Frylight but, with the frozen, you can just whack them in without having to pre-fry and they soften perfectly. If I am using fresh onions though, I usually soften them off a bit in the microwave first.

Kathy x

Thank you! I avoid onions where possible as they, errrr, give me grief!

Back