Free Starbucks Petites

I work with people who are diagnosed with binge eating disorder and it's all about tackling each stage at the right time. A person with an eating disorder can't just make the decision to 'reconcile' their eating disorder and then that's it all fixed. For most patients it's about working up to recovery and 'normal' eating. So for a few months they need the washing up liquid because when the eating disorder is strong they would take the food out of the bin. You have to remember a true eating disorder is not rational. Then further along their journey just chucking it in the bin is enough. Then putting it in a cupboard and so on. We don't have eating disorders but we do have disorder eating if that makes sense. 'Normal' people can open a packet of biscuits and have one then not think about it again for days. I don't know about anyone else but when I know there is food that I like in the house I have a difficult time not thinking about it. I can resist the urge to eat all of them now but not quite ready to stop the thoughts. What I'm saying is some people need those techniques for now, till they are ready to build a positive relationship with food again. It's not just a given.

I appreciate what you are saying and I do understand why people do it. I just think it is irresponsible of us to be encouraging the start of such a procedure and giving the message that food should be feared and attacked.

I am not naive enough to think that you can just "fix" an eating disorder by not pouring washing up liquid on food, or that it does not take a very long time to overcome and beat a disorder. However, I and, I imagine most of us here, would not need to use that quite extreme technique and that we should not be encouraging others to start doing it for the reasons I have stated above.

On SW we are encouraged to enjoy a healthy relationship with food, to not need to feel deprived, to eat in a balanced way, and to enjoy our weight loss in a safe and healthy way. Encouraging habits which disregard this message and do not help us to learn how to do that is a very dangerous game to be playing.

Completely agree with all of that! I think we all pick up some of our own bad habits along the way when it comes to food and dieting. Not eating on day of weigh in, daily scale check, guilt and the list goes on and on. So I think you are right not to encourage that sort of thing but at the same time the person who spoke about the washing up liquid should be allowed to share that without it being judged. To be honest we shouldn't really encourage people to throw food away as this also reinforces the lack of power and bad relationship with food but I think we all need to use that one sometimes! Anyway good discussion and it has made me think through some of my stuff :)

CP hit the nail on the head, they have a syn value, you get syns to use each day.
Use them and enjoy the little treats, it's what they are there for :)

Those things look so good! I love caramel and nuts and every day this week when I have gone in to get my americano with sugar free vanilla syrup and a splash of skim milk they have been there under the glass, staring at me saying EAT ME EAT ME I'M SO DELICIOUS. This morning I was trying to guesstimate the syn value and I thought maybe 5.5, it's good to know they're 9 so now when I see one I can make an informed decision.

Also, a little tip that I have picked up is if you have something like that tempting you - give it to someone else if you can. If you're in the office or at home with family etc, just give it away. Then you get the satisfaction of not eating it, and you get to cheer someone else up.

A couple of weeks ago my mum gave me loads of homemade cookies, a tin of about 20 and I managed to give them all away to my OH, housemates and took the rest into uni. I didn't have one myself but I got a kick out of seeing everyone else enjoy them, and it made me quite popular!

i have to confess to getting the red velvet whoopie thingy free yesterday.

just looked on the starbucks site and it is 161 cals
so going on the 20cals = 1 syn rule it was 8 syns which isnt too bad i guess.

it was nice but doubt i would bother with it again unless they had more freebies.

as i have the screen open anyway here are the other cal contents in case it is useful to anyone

almond cake pop = 211
rocky road cake pop = 225
sparkle cake pop = 191.6
dark choc mini bar = 236
salted pecan mini bar = 247.5 - so roughly 12 syns!!!
white choc and raspberry mini cake = 302
choc whoopies = 152
red velvet whoopies = 161

Back