Gah! BT Home Hub!

Mr_Wombat

Gold Member
I've had nothing but problems from my BT Home Hub now all weekend... yesterday the broadband and internet lights kept cutting out when I was either in the middle of posting or chatting over msn. I thought maybe my connection was trying to do two things at once and got baffled :rolleyes: but this morning it's doing it all over again, and i'm only browsing/posting on here...

It's unstable at the best of times, especially sometimes crashing when I'm downloading stuff, but this has taken it to whole new levels.

To be honest, our whole phone line is dodgy in this place. Sometime last year the lead that feeds the phone line into the house started playing tricks and now we can use either the phone or the internet, but not at the same time. It's like being on high-speed dial-up :rolleyes: I doubt though that this is the cause of the BT *****-ness, I don't trust that bloody hub.

Does anyone else have BT broadband and have similar problems?

Still having probs then? :( My mum used to have the same prob but has been ok lately - weirdness!

I am on Virgin, and after a few initial teething problems (resulting in a letter of complaint to the chief exec :D) I couldnt be happier with it!

Haha, that's how you get things sorted then :)

It's been OK since I posted... almost as if I exercised the home hub demons lol.

Yes, I had problems for months.
Phone BT and ask them to check your download speed or do it via this site
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
If your download speed is not what either you expected, or what BT told you, you would get, phone 150 and threaten to cancel your service. I did and got a significant reduction in my bill, a new home hub and broadband phone. I have had few problems since.

Yes, I had problems for months.
Phone BT and ask them to check your download speed or do it via this site
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
If your download speed is not what either you expected, or what BT told you, you would get, phone 150 and threaten to cancel your service. I did and got a significant reduction in my bill, a new home hub and broadband phone. I have had few problems since.

Thanks for the link, gonna give it a bash now :)

Gah, my speed seems rather slower than what we normally get, but then our line tends to go up and down a lot...

We aren't currently locked into a contract with them and they have been trying to get us to for a while now. Not sure whether that'd be a good idea, mind. We were holding off changing suppliers until we get the phone lead fixed, but then that itself isn't do-able at the moment due to lack of funds and Xmas.

Forgot in my last post:
BT told me my download speed was up to 5meg. In actual fact I get less than 1!! If theres alot of internet traffic it slows my speed down even further and occasionally crashes my internet.
Have you done a master reset of the Home Hub? Like you would with a TV box?

Yeah, done that, no difference.

It's okay now, there is a possibility that with it being the weekend they are doing work on the line... will keep my beady eye on it though lol

Can you check the bt internet website? does that give you status info? I know the virgin media one does

Back