Getting over a binge - your experiences

TrueBlueAngel

I WILL be thin!!
Theres a lot of people on here stressing about food or have slipped back and relented (I'm stressing, just not voicing incase I break). I've had the odd craving for meals and find it especially hard on weekends.
Ok, so you've had a binge and now you feel guilty. So what about the other side of the coin for those who have been there and done that? What were the repercussions? Did you really blow it on one meal or did you get back on the saddle of CD? Was the weight gain that bad or did you still lose some?
We're all human and make mistakes. Would be good to hear from those who have been there and done that and wearing the small sized tshirt ;)

Theres a lot of people on here stressing about food or have slipped back and relented (I'm stressing, just not voicing incase I break). I've had the odd craving for meals and find it especially hard on weekends.
Ok, so you've had a binge and now you feel guilty. So what about the other side of the coin for those who have been there and done that? What were the repercussions? Did you really blow it on one meal or did you get back on the saddle of CD? Was the weight gain that bad or did you still lose some?
We're all human and make mistakes. Would be good to hear from those who have been there and done that and wearing the small sized tshirt ;)

Oh where to start. First off a meal isn't a binge, a binge is uncontrolled rapid eating. You're like a machine. So I think there are different, although similar issues surrounding them

Get back on track? Tried, managed a few days fell off again and picked a fair bit. Lost 0.75lbs

Couldn't get back on track and ended up bingeing again (full binge list on my blog), that was on the Tuesday/Wednesday. Weigh in on Saturday. Put on 1.5lbs. Didn't manage to get back into the game properly until Wednesday. Now I'm fully back, but boy was it hard. I'll be honest I found giving up smoking easier than getting back on track.

If I had had, 1 meal off and got back on that would have been different, unfortunately the nature of guilt/punishment and deciding that I had to draw a line under it meant that I really struggled deciding where that line would start.

You can get back on track, but I would agree its much harder than starting. Also promotes a good deal of naval gazing and self doubt. ie Can I really do this anymore? Maybe I should switch diets etc

I also think people (and I see it a lot on here) are at risk of developing deeper issues than just "cheating" off plan. The volume of posts that I read from people who go off plan, but then consider vomiting or laxatives as an effective way to deal with that blip is worrying. Now thats not a judgement its a concern and observation.

I admit its crossed my mind, but I've refrained because the likelihood is all I would do is make myself ill in the process. But the guilt there is so strong that it terrifies me I actually thought like that in the first place, which is one of the first reasons when people do blip, my first reaction is to try and reassure, however clumsily, and not just leave them twisting in the wind. As a lot of people replied to my thread last week, never guilt and no self recrimination.

I had a binge quite some time ago. some friends called round with home made indian food and they actually expected me to eat, so i did, but when they left ate the left overs too!!! I felt like cr*p. I still lost 3 lbs that week (but only because I really worked it off with exercise and taking 2 shakes per dayand felt really weak NOT RECOMMENDED) The funny thing is, I often think about it coz I got away with it and still lost. It comes into my mind like a demon when Im tempted or craving something and my ugly side tries to tell me "its ok, you did it before, you'll be ok". But that kind of thinking leads to more bingeing and finally failure. No Bloody way will I give in to that demon. But you see, Im still having to live with it several weeks later (7 to be percise)

I had a binge quite some time ago. some friends called round with home made indian food and they actually expected me to eat, so i did, but when they left ate the left overs too!!! I felt like cr*p. I still lost 3 lbs that week (but only because I really worked it off with exercise and taking 2 shakes per dayand felt really weak NOT RECOMMENDED) The funny thing is, I often think about it coz I got away with it and still lost. It comes into my mind like a demon when Im tempted or craving something and my ugly side tries to tell me "its ok, you did it before, you'll be ok". But that kind of thinking leads to more bingeing and finally failure. No Bloody way will I give in to that demon. But you see, Im still having to live with it several weeks later (7 to be percise)

Now see this concerns me. Cutting out 1 shake per day "saves" you 150 calories daily right?

150 *7 means you save 1050 calories over the week.

3500 calories in a pound of fat. So based on calories you've only shed 1/3 of a pound by cutting out that shake, but felt like crap and put your health at risk. You could have shed 2.6lbs that week without feeling like dross.

Thats the concerning thing, I think people get so caught up in the whole "If i just cut this out... I can pull it back" without realising just how bad they could make them selves feel for such little advantage/gain.

Sorry if it seems like I'm having a go, I'm really not, its just you are unfortunately a handy illustration of what I was talking about.

Now see this concerns me. Cutting out 1 shake per day "saves" you 150 calories daily right?

150 *7 means you save 1050 calories over the week.

3500 calories in a pound of fat. So based on calories you've only shed 1/3 of a pound by cutting out that shake, but felt like crap and put your health at risk. You could have shed 2.6lbs that week without feeling like dross.

Thats the concerning thing, I think people get so caught up in the whole "If i just cut this out... I can pull it back" without realising just how bad they could make them selves feel for such little advantage/gain.

Sorry if it seems like I'm having a go, I'm really not, its just you are unfortunately a handy illustration of what I was talking about.
You are completely right Lexie. It was a stupid lesson I learned and I would NEVER do it again an I do not recommend it in any way, shape or form!! I have moved on from it but it comes into my head every now and then. The fact is , it WASNT skipping the shakes that helped me lose, i was probably going to lose it anyway. It was 7 weeks ago and I have learned a lot about myself since.

Its so tempting though isn't it? I was eyeing up a pack of Dulcolax the other morning, thinking "I know it won't be a real loss but it'll make me feel better, if I could just see a difference in those scales for a day I'll be on track better"

Scary stuff. Didn't take them and lo the next day the scales dropped anyway. But its so easy to get into that mindset and so very hard to get out of.

I actually once sat and patiently typed a very long reply, like the one above explaining to a poster that even if she skipped EVERY shake she would only lose less than 1lb more. Whilst making herself very very ill. So not worth it. Ultimately I was ignored in favour of the starve yourself approach. Well I assume I was because I dropped off site myself a few days later.

I actually once sat and patiently typed a very long reply, like the one above explaining to a poster that even if she skipped EVERY shake she would only lose less than 1lb more. Whilst making herself very very ill. So not worth it.

LOL, I know where you're coming from, Lexie. I've sat and done the maths myself. Even if you follow sole source to the letter, it's actually impossible to lose more than three to four pounds a week on average unless you have a lot to lose in the first place--and even then, the average goes up to four to five pounds a week. Anything more is fluctuations in water, it seems to me.

The irony is, it isn't the number of calories in the meal / binge that does the damage. It's (1) what it does to your head and (2) insulin rebound, i.e., the hunger pangs come back if you've eaten carbs.

(1) is probably harder to get over than (2), but together they're a huge problem.

Right now I'm off plan. Way off plan. My weight is nothing like what it says in my signature - I'll fix that when I can face it :rolleyes:. I'm planning on getting back on track tomorrow. Again. I've tried to get back on track every day for the last week...

But I do know it's possible. I've done it before--which means I know I can do it again. You can only fail if you give up trying, right? And I don't intend to give up trying. :)

Back