GILLIAN MCKEITH

carly1309

Has anyone tried the Gillian Mckeith Plan???:sign0009:

I have done Slimming World and tried others? Am now considering the Cambridge!!!!

OHHHHHHHHH I don't know what to do:confused: I have my holiday soon and can't seem to get into it........

Please I need advice I have 4 months and nearly 4 stone:cry::cry::cry:

Hmmmn sorry I never hear of it. But I just wanted to wish you the Best of luck in whatever plan you choose. Wow, Egypt have a great trip!

I am a calorie counter, it works wonderfully because no food is ever forbidden as long as you count calories, you can have it!

Aside from the fact I cannot stand Gillian McKeith, shes absolutely vile. I think her regime is really harsh. I dont think its one you could sustain for long.

Id be interested to hear how you get on if you do choose it though

I know someone who tried it, she lost a lot of weight but the food was bizarre and a lot of work. If you genuinely want to lose that much in the time available then I would recommend Cambridge, you know you can lose with that. OK it means deprivation but you'll get used to it, ketosis helps, and if you have the incentive of the holiday you can do it. CD is easy, no weighing or measuring, no estimates and fingers crossed, no fancy cooking.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and have a fantastic holiday.

Claire,
Thanks for the reply How much have you lost on the cambridge diet? Do you notice the loss quickly? . . . . I'm scared because i have heard it is hard.
I like my saturday off for my wee tipple and maybe a curry lol:eatdrink023: xxx

I found Cambridge fairly easy, I did it about 18 months ago, lost nearly two stones. You really notice the difference quickly as you lose at least a stone a month and usually more in the beginning. If you need to lose for a deadline and can accept being strict with yourself for that time then it is probably the easiest method. Ketosis helps stop the hunger, you don't have to bother with preparing and weighing and counting, just eat the packs and think about something else. Talk to some people on the CD threads, you'll see some who manage fine, and others who just can't seem to help cheating.

My one quibble with Cambridge is the way they try to push you into low GI for maintenance, it just doesn't suit me. So, like many before me, I started gaining again once I came off the diet. Luckily I found JUDDD, lost my excess pounds and am happily maintaining (for over 3 months now).

How can you call Gillian McKeiths method extreme in comparison to Lighterlife of Cambridge Diets? Gillian McKeith is all about eating healthy home prepared foods and not processed foods from the supermarket - it's going back to how people prepared foods a few decades ago. Yes it may take some time to prepare dinner, but put it this way - whilst you are busy preparing dinner - you are not sat in front of the TV picking. I have tried a few of her dishes and have to say they are very nice, all it takes is a little effort - no different then to dieting regardless of method you use.

I tried Gillian McKeith last year and agree with Starlight with the 'extreme' comment. If you compare food quantity then obviously Lighterlife and Cambridge are far more extreme, but if you look at how easy it is to follow the diet it is on par (possibly worse) than LL or CD.

With LL and CD you give up food. Your food comes from nutrionally adequate food packs. Just add water (or make into different receipes) and that's it. With Gillian McKeith your whole shop has to change, when I did it I was having to do a near full shop 2-3 times a week. Stocking up on fresh fruit and veg. My weekly shop went from £80 to £120, although I don't mind spending extra on shopping if it's good food that doesn't go to waste.

If you have a young family it is very difficult to follow her plan, so you are left preparing different meals at each mealtime. I was able to serve some dishes to my husband and son, but not all of them were suitable. If Gillian McKeith's diet was just about eating healthy home prepared food it wouldn't be so bad, but her diet is pretty much a vegan diet. If people manage to follow it long term then good for them, I admire them. I really struggled and gave up towards the end of the first week. For me, I struggled to cook from scratch with fresh ingredients every meal/snack time - just not enough hours in the day!

Totally disagree with you I'm afraid - How can you say it's almost a vegan diet, when in her "You are what you eat" book there are a few recipes for beef, loads for chicken and quiet a few for lamb. Mass produced processed foods always have been and always will be cheaper. Healthy eating costs - if you want an example of cheap food - watch the adverts for BOGOF offers or buy two get one free - they are never for healthy foods, but rather for crisps, cakes, processed foods - these are all foods that I used to eat - I have prepared daily menus in preparation for when I come off Lighterlife, which is well balanced and incorporates fish, meat, salad and vegetables and fruit. I would rather pay slightly more to eat healthily and maintain my weight.

I do agree that the food preparation is time consuming - but if you eat dinner as a family, why not prepare dinner as a family? Why should it be down to you to do it all?

How can you call Gillian McKeiths method extreme in comparison to Lighterlife of Cambridge Diets? Gillian McKeith is all about eating healthy home prepared foods and not processed foods from the supermarket - it's going back to how people prepared foods a few decades ago. Yes it may take some time to prepare dinner, but put it this way - whilst you are busy preparing dinner - you are not sat in front of the TV picking. I have tried a few of her dishes and have to say they are very nice, all it takes is a little effort - no different then to dieting regardless of method you use.

But Im not comparing it to CD or LL, I dont know enough about them.

Personally I think its extreme from what Ive seen on her TV programme, it all seems to be beans, pulses, etc and she almost had a fit when some poor soul admitted to drinking wine.

I havent bought her books, partly because I wouldnt want any of my money going into her pocket but from what Ive seen, in MY opinion, its too extreme to sustain long term. I have had a look at one and it seemed to have much the same as the TV programme when it came to what she says you should eat.

Id prefer a more middle of the road long term approach, something healthy, home made where possible but still tasty, with the odd 'night off' thrown in.

But then as with all diets, what suits one wont suit others.

Totally disagree with you I'm afraid - How can you say it's almost a vegan diet, when in her "You are what you eat" book there are a few recipes for beef, loads for chicken and quiet a few for lamb.

I didn't realise there were meaty recipes in the book. When I tried it last year there was a 'no meat, no dairy, no wheat, etc' rule. My sil is vegan and we were eating the same foods. That's why I felt it was similar to a vegan diet.

Mass produced processed foods always have been and always will be cheaper.

Oh right. I've never really bought many processed foods, especially since having my son.

Healthy eating costs - if you want an example of cheap food - watch the adverts for BOGOF offers or buy two get one free - they are never for healthy foods, but rather for crisps, cakes, processed foods

Yes, a lot of the offers tend to be for unhealthy food. Although we are very lucky in our local Asda store as they always have fruit and veg on offer, along with fresh fish, it's a godsend.

I have prepared daily menus in preparation for when I come off Lighterlife, which is well balanced and incorporates fish, meat, salad and vegetables and fruit. I would rather pay slightly more to eat healthily and maintain my weight.

That is such a good attitude to have. I agree completely about paying more for health. I know Sainsburys are very good and have at least 5 different fruit/veg half price every week. Unfortunately we don't have a sainsburys near to us.

I do agree that the food preparation is time consuming - but if you eat dinner as a family, why not prepare dinner as a family? Why should it be down to you to do it all?

My son is 3 so there's only so much I allow him to help with. Unfortunately both my husband and I work full time which means time is always an issue. He is in the police so works funny shifts. So most nights I am on my own trying to get everything sorted me me and ds. However, we have bought him up on a very healthy diet so he snacks on sliced peppers, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, etc. When we have plenty of time he loves to help me making homemade fishcakes, and pizza pittas. He has great fun, and I have great fun cleaning the mess :D

I am not trying to put the Gillian McKeith diet down. I only tried it for a week so am not really in a position rate it properly. But, I did find it inconvenient. My problem is that although I give in to the chocolate cravings every now and then, that is not my main problem. I eat too much when I make meals. If I make Risotto I eat enough for 2 people, maybe 3 :eek:

I hear what you are saying, we both work full time too, and as I am always home first it is always me cooking. Like you I tried the diet for about a week, and at the time, just couldn't be bothered after that - but being on lighterlife, and (hopefully) having lost lots of weight, my attitude towards food is already changing. As most of the recipes are for 4 people, and there are only two of us (at the moment anyhow - we're currently going through the adoption process) I intend on freezing half and having later in the week or perhaps the following week!!

Anyways - good luck with your weight loss.

I have to say that I agree (again) with Corey on this. McKeith diet may take longer to prepare than a microwave crappack, but I tend to cook from fresh anyway as i enjoy it. Some of tese healthy recipes can be prepared in minutes.

I know how I want to live my life after LL.

For me it is Low GL which is basically just the same as most of the healthy diets like McKeith - protein, healthy fats, lots of low glycaemic vegetables, cous cous, bulgar wheat, brown rice, lentils etc, nuts, seeds, pretty much anything in moderation apart from processed carbs - white rice, pasta, bread etc.

As long as I eat the right amount of this sort of healthy food, then I am adamant that I will be able to keep to my new lower weight. I think Moderation is absolutely key and would have no problem having white rice on the odd occasion if necessary, but would not eat it as a rule.

At least that is the plan.

I'm going to be following the rule - if it's white and there is a brown alternative - go for the brown - although that really does only apply to pasta, rice and bread - can't think of anything else that's white with a brown alternative - except chocolate, but then there has to be an exception to every rule ;)

Back