Had an unwelcome visitor this morning...

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by CornishPisky, 8 September 2010 Social URL.

1. CornishPisky

CornishPisky Full Member

We live very rurally & keep hens. Yes you've guessed it, we had a visit from Monsieur Reynard. Killed 2, another one is missing. I rescued one which was sat on the gate to the back garden, shaking. She came straight into my arms for a cuddle, & didnt want me to put her down. She's spent all morning yelling for her friends...sad. Got to tell DS when he gets home from school that he has lost some hens (he's nearly 5 & LOVES his hens) he'll be so upset. :sigh:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. meadowbankles

meadowbankles Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st10.0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(5.99%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Oh what a shame, I'm so sorry to read this. I'd love to keep hens. x

4. Littleslimmingbee

Littleslimmingbee Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    SW
    awww nooooooo :( xxx

5. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Don't start me off about foxes. I could go on forever.

There is nothing Basil Brush about foxes, they are not cute, they do not speak, they do not say boom boom. They kill indiscriminately.

I am so sorry for your loss. We have lost all our hens, we rescued the cockerel , Onion, he was all but dead, but we brought him in the house, made him a nest in a box, turned on a fan heater, and fed him with a dropper for a week.He recovered and lived until he died of old age.

The same damned fox killed my pet turkey, Sir Bernard, he ripped the door of his night time house, during the day he helped me around the place, he never did know he was a turkey. He was lovely. The latest incident was him killing our goose, Fido, in broad daylight. Fido must have been asleep and taken from behind because nothing frightened him, he was very ferocious.

Give you DS a big hug from me as well. Could you take him to get a couple of new hens. Kiddies forget quickly.

[​IMG]

Onion.

hugs xxxxx

6. Littleslimmingbee

Littleslimmingbee Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    SW
    What a cutie is onion! sorry for all your losses guys.. my big bro' has four chickens, bridget, princess laya, robo-tilda and bird. (names still make me chuckle)

7. zombiecakes

zombiecakes Will be slinky!

Start Weight:
    14st12lb
    Current Weight:
    13st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(11.06%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers Pro Points
    Aww i'm sorry :(

8. CornishPisky

CornishPisky Full Member

Thanks all. DS was very upset for a bit, has now recovered with typical childishness & gone off with Daddy to buy 2 new ones, which he is calling Sunflower & Rose. The last ones have been Barbara, Margo (yes the Good Life!!) Rocky Henny Penny, Biscuit (who survived) Mushroom & Apple. I still feel a bit :( ...
    RIP x

9. rosinakathleen

rosinakathleen Big, busty and Blowsy!

Start Weight:
    24st6lb
    Current Weight:
    22st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(6.73%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Sorry to hear your news.
    As the proud mummy of 5 tiny chicks I'm not looking forward to "outing" them at night, but we have a "hopefully" fox-proof house for them at night

10. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Glad for DS that he is having two new girls.

11. loungelizard

loungelizard Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13.5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(11%)
    Diet:
    SW Extra Easy
    Sorry to read this:(

We have chickens as well but fingers crossed we've not seen a fox in the time we've had them.

12. JimJam87

JimJam87 Determined to do this

Diet:
    Slimming World
    How sad :( x

13. Leapfrog

Leapfrog Champion actifryer

Start Weight:
    84kg
    Current Weight:
    71.5kg
    Goal Weight:
    65kg
    Lost(%):
    12.5kg(14.9%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    What bothers me is that foxes don't kill for food, which I could understand - it' nature - I have cats so understand when they catch a mouse or a bird. They seem to just keep on killing for the fun of it. Hugs to you & ds.

14. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    Awww! But it's all part and parcel of living in the country. I'm saving for an Iglu. They're supposed to be fox proof, tho I do have an outhouse.

15. CornishPisky

CornishPisky Full Member

I'd love the "Cube" Judi. But they are so astronomically expensive, even 2nd hand on Ebay they command almost brand new prices. Oh well, I can dream! (note to self, must save harder...)
    New hens settling in ok. Biscuit the hen who survived is clearly top of pecking order, but they've all been quite civilised so far. Previous introductions of new hens has always resulted in furious scrapping and squabbling so I'm just waiting for the arguments to start... :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone x

16. loungelizard

loungelizard Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13.5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(11%)
    Diet:
    SW Extra Easy
    Hope it continues to be a smooth introduction period for you. They can be dreadful can't they. I've currently got one in solitary as even though she's not a new one her behaviour towards some of my others is horrendous. She'll run all the way down the garden to attack one in particular:( We now have a cube but not their run. Saved up the money made from selling eggs to friends and neighbours. They're going up in price very soon though. Think it's £100 more:eek:

17. CornishPisky

CornishPisky Full Member

Isnt it bizarre! One of the ones who was taken was just like you describe. She would actually "target" another hen, & literally stalk it down the garden. The others were fearful of her, so I suppose every cloud... Not that I would tell DS this, of course, no hen deserves that kind of end. The others were so lovely, friendly & just loved fuss. I miss them...

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Piglet

Piglet Is so doing it this time

Start Weight:
    16st8lb
    Current Weight:
    15st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(6.9%)
    Diet:
    5:2
    OMG I've just seen this post! How horribly sad. I'm so sorry for your families loss. They are so funny to watch and its really awful to think of them suffering and so frightened :cry:

20. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    It is sad isn't it, but nature is cruel at times and kids can be so awful. Mine grew out of it by the time he was 40 lol !!! He is lovely now.

We decided not to keep hens anymore after the last massacre. The fox had dug under the 6ft. high chain link fencing in daylight whilst we were out. I was heartbroken. Most of the hens had been bred here and were 3rd and 4th generation.

Good luck with your new hens.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.