Had an unwelcome visitor this morning...

CornishPisky

We live very rurally & keep hens. Yes you've guessed it, we had a visit from Monsieur Reynard. Killed 2, another one is missing. I rescued one which was sat on the gate to the back garden, shaking. She came straight into my arms for a cuddle, & didnt want me to put her down. She's spent all morning yelling for her friends...sad. Got to tell DS when he gets home from school that he has lost some hens (he's nearly 5 & LOVES his hens) he'll be so upset. :sigh:

Don't start me off about foxes. I could go on forever.

There is nothing Basil Brush about foxes, they are not cute, they do not speak, they do not say boom boom. They kill indiscriminately.

I am so sorry for your loss. We have lost all our hens, we rescued the cockerel , Onion, he was all but dead, but we brought him in the house, made him a nest in a box, turned on a fan heater, and fed him with a dropper for a week.He recovered and lived until he died of old age.

The same damned fox killed my pet turkey, Sir Bernard, he ripped the door of his night time house, during the day he helped me around the place, he never did know he was a turkey. He was lovely. The latest incident was him killing our goose, Fido, in broad daylight. Fido must have been asleep and taken from behind because nothing frightened him, he was very ferocious.

Give you DS a big hug from me as well. Could you take him to get a couple of new hens. Kiddies forget quickly.

assortedsept08010.jpg

Onion.

hugs xxxxx

What a cutie is onion! sorry for all your losses guys.. my big bro' has four chickens, bridget, princess laya, robo-tilda and bird. (names still make me chuckle)

Thanks all. DS was very upset for a bit, has now recovered with typical childishness & gone off with Daddy to buy 2 new ones, which he is calling Sunflower & Rose. The last ones have been Barbara, Margo (yes the Good Life!!) Rocky Henny Penny, Biscuit (who survived) Mushroom & Apple. I still feel a bit :( ...
RIP x

Sorry to hear your news.
As the proud mummy of 5 tiny chicks I'm not looking forward to "outing" them at night, but we have a "hopefully" fox-proof house for them at night

Glad for DS that he is having two new girls.

Awww! But it's all part and parcel of living in the country. I'm saving for an Iglu. They're supposed to be fox proof, tho I do have an outhouse.

Awww! But it's all part and parcel of living in the country. I'm saving for an Iglu. They're supposed to be fox proof, tho I do have an outhouse.
I'd love the "Cube" Judi. But they are so astronomically expensive, even 2nd hand on Ebay they command almost brand new prices. Oh well, I can dream! (note to self, must save harder...)
New hens settling in ok. Biscuit the hen who survived is clearly top of pecking order, but they've all been quite civilised so far. Previous introductions of new hens has always resulted in furious scrapping and squabbling so I'm just waiting for the arguments to start... :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone x

I'd love the "Cube" Judi. But they are so astronomically expensive, even 2nd hand on Ebay they command almost brand new prices. Oh well, I can dream! (note to self, must save harder...)
New hens settling in ok. Biscuit the hen who survived is clearly top of pecking order, but they've all been quite civilised so far. Previous introductions of new hens has always resulted in furious scrapping and squabbling so I'm just waiting for the arguments to start... :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone x

Hope it continues to be a smooth introduction period for you. They can be dreadful can't they. I've currently got one in solitary as even though she's not a new one her behaviour towards some of my others is horrendous. She'll run all the way down the garden to attack one in particular:( We now have a cube but not their run. Saved up the money made from selling eggs to friends and neighbours. They're going up in price very soon though. Think it's £100 more:eek:

Hope it continues to be a smooth introduction period for you. They can be dreadful can't they. I've currently got one in solitary as even though she's not a new one her behaviour towards some of my others is horrendous. She'll run all the way down the garden to attack one in particular:( We now have a cube but not their run. Saved up the money made from selling eggs to friends and neighbours. They're going up in price very soon though. Think it's £100 more:eek:

Isnt it bizarre! One of the ones who was taken was just like you describe. She would actually "target" another hen, & literally stalk it down the garden. The others were fearful of her, so I suppose every cloud... Not that I would tell DS this, of course, no hen deserves that kind of end. The others were so lovely, friendly & just loved fuss. I miss them...

OMG I've just seen this post! How horribly sad. I'm so sorry for your families loss. They are so funny to watch and its really awful to think of them suffering and so frightened :cry:

It is sad isn't it, but nature is cruel at times and kids can be so awful. Mine grew out of it by the time he was 40 lol !!! He is lovely now.

We decided not to keep hens anymore after the last massacre. The fox had dug under the 6ft. high chain link fencing in daylight whilst we were out. I was heartbroken. Most of the hens had been bred here and were 3rd and 4th generation.

Good luck with your new hens.

Back