Halley - my journey

Great updates - lovely to know you have lovely clothes to wear in the 14s. I know I felt really good in the 14s. See you there!!
O I hope so Ali! I lost a pound this week so am now 16st 3lbs. I really want to get into the 15s so will try hard to do a bit more exercise over the next few weeks and fingers crossed that will tip me there.

I know I don’t update this diary much but I am still here!

It’s the start of the 3rd quarter of 2021 and the next 13 weeks are, I believe, crucial for me in this weight loss journey. I can arrive at Fri Oct 1st in a couple of states:
  1. I could be in the low 15st something weight range feeling fantastic with what I’ve done, buying new clothes, dressing up when I go out and feeling good about how I look
  2. I could be maintaining around 15st 13lbs, the weight I am today
  3. I could be fighting regain simply because I’m going off plan too many days in the week, continuously starting a diet at obvious points in the month but following the slow regain pattern I fell into from Nov ‘17 to Dec ‘20
  4. I could have said ‘sod it’ and be back at almost 17st feeling really poorly and disappointed, with all the hard work at the start of the year being undone
It’s really a no brainer, I need to work towards option 1.

Out of everything I do, the most important habit is the on plan off plan days. I believe this is truly the key for me personally to loose weight or maintain weight loss. Ultimately I’d like to be off plan Sat, Sun and Wed and I think I can look forward to that once I get to a maintenance weight. Until then I really have to strive for 2 days only off plan per week. I know I will loose when I’m off plan only 2 nights so I really need to get down to it.

Hi, Why do you feel the need to go off plan? I don't know what plan you follow but why make it harder for yourself by not staying on plan?

It may not be harder. For some of us, the constriction of the plan seems impossible. So if it works for you, do it, Halley!

For me, if I go off plan I'm in danger of slipping more and more. So it's a hard boundary for me. Only breached very occassiiionally - eg Fish & Chiips back in April as a celebration. If my OH ate seafood, I'd have had a seafood platter....

I am curious though. What is it about summer that makes you want to be off plan?

Thanks for your replies @Mary2020 and @AliGal

@Mary2020 I suffer from a chronic binge eating disorder and I find it impossible to stay on plan for any length of time. I panic, get depressed and start thinking destructive, sabotaging binge thoughts. Sooner or later I end up binging, to the point of feeling that I’m going to have a heart attack. Then I spiral and regain any weight lost in the time I stayed on plan.

To combat this, I decided to use the idea of on plan and off plan days. I use the WW smartpoints system and I believe an on plan day is about 1200 calories. Then off plan days are where I have a nice family dinner like a full roast or chicken fajitas, little bits of what I fancy and maybe alcohol. Essentially I eat the foods I would normally binge on. I’ve been logging every single thing I’ve put in my mouth since Sept ‘13 so I know that generally, if I’m off plan 2 days per week I will loose, 3 days I’ll sts and 4 or more days off plan means I gain. I had my youngest child in 2017 and I really struggled after her birth, I had too many off plan days and ended up regaining a lot of the weight I had lost before I got pregnant.

I have it in my mind to do cognitive behavioural therapy to try to help with the binge eating disorder but my life is just too busy at the moment to do the work I will have to do with this.

@AliGal I used to be like you, very strict with only extremely occasional treats. For me, however, it always led to me going crazy with food when I got to my goal weight and I then regained the weight plus more. As another person who heartbreakingly knows what it’s like to be almost 23st, we also know that the only way we are ever going to be able to maintain a decent BMI is to develop habits that we will be able to fall back on when our bodies are, inevitably, doing everything they can to get us back to our highest weight. In order to reset that highest weight we have to trick our metabolism and bodies with long term consistent changes.

By the way I love Summer because there are so many things on and so much to do. Life is easier when it’s warmer too. I always want to follow on the good feelings with food.

I have/had a binge eating disorder where I would go without goodies then binge. I ate so much that I felt sick but kept on eating. I believe quite a few people do this.....I'm not free from it but I can now control it. I don't have any foods in the house which I know I have no serving control over. My husband can eat 2 biscuits and put the packet away. I can't stop until the packet has gone. :rolleyes:

I have/had a binge eating disorder where I would go without goodies then binge. I ate so much that I felt sick but kept on eating. I believe quite a few people do this.....I'm not free from it but I can now control it. I don't have any foods in the house which I know I have no serving control over. My husband can eat 2 biscuits and put the packet away. I can't stop until the packet has gone. :rolleyes:
@Mary2020 I used to not keep trigger foods in the house too but found that long term I start buying them again telling myself I can control them. Inevitably I can’t control them though so that’s why I plan what I want to eat on my off plan nights and specifically buy small quantities. For me it really reduces the drive to binge eat.

I get bscuits, crisps & choc etc for Mr AG and he takes them away. I manage to resist rummagIng In his room for them. I'd never go through his belongings - and that somehow applies also to biscuits etc he might have in his desk or cupboards. If they were in a kitchen cupboard, I would definitely be raiding it and probably eating a whole pack.

I get bscuits, crisps & choc etc for Mr AG and he takes them away. I manage to resist rummagIng In his room for them. I'd never go through his belongings - and that somehow applies also to biscuits etc he might have in his desk or cupboards. If they were in a kitchen cupboard, I would definitely be raiding it and probably eating a whole pack.
That’s actually something I never thought of - I never, ever touch my OH’s desk or workspace (or actually go near the room that has been overtaken by this working from home thing) so maybe that’s where I’ll put the treats and nice foods for the kids!

My problem is hubby says what's his is mine and what's mine is mine.:)
He did have mints in his office drawer but every time I went up there I would have 2. I told him they aren't good for either of us so he doesn't have any in there now. He doesn't do the shopping so I know he hasn't any hidden.

I only buy “treats” my husband liked for example anything lemon flavoured it with caramel in I can’t stand so they are fine. I also get smaller packets of things I need or use. When that feeling comes along it can be so hard to push away. I used to start planning binges in my head when I was away with work or sometimes I’ll wake up and the urge is there but I now do an exercise class or distract myself as I know giving in to those feelings causes a spiral. A huge scary sad spiral which is very difficult to come back from at least for a few days and a fair few thousand calories xx

l am compelled by fresh sour dough bread but not sliced loaves so no sourdough for Mr AG at the mo!

I also found placing things like oat cakes in a different cupboard works. They are only compelling if l have marmite in the house (slathered butter and marmite). So I don't have marmite in the house and using a different cupboard is enough to disrupt automatic eating.

I can really relate to this!! I’m not in control of it yet but getting there.

I'm not sure the compulsion ever goes away. I am finding being on the Team 50 thread has helped me stay on track a few tImes. Last week, I avoided white toast by putting the loaf in the freezer whiile my husband is in hospital. Join us on the thread @Tutifruiti https://www.minimins.com/threads/team-50-is-back-christmas-2021.366615/ Just decide how many lbs you'lll lose by Xmas, and weigh in weekly on a day of the week that suits you. You cut and paste the most recent list and add yourself.

I’m getting ready to come back here…

Today I have one last day off plan, then 2 days on plan to get my Jan 1st weight…

My Jan 1st 2022 weight is 17st exactly, this is a BMI of 36.2. Given that I was 16st 4lbs on Dec 3rd I’m hoping the quick on quick off thing works for me in January.

However I obviously have to make it work in January… My plan is to keep my head down, not think too much and have only Fridays and Saturdays off plan which is 9 days off plan in the month.

This time last year I weighed 18st 6lbs so I am exactly 20lbs down which I am delighted with. I’m also still 82lbs down from my highest weight so my initial goal for this year is to get back to my 100lbs lost.

That sounds like a good plan @Halley . Please do join us on the Team 50 Christmas 2022 - as it is open to all who have had 50lbs or more to shed. I look forward to joining you at maintaining - in late 2022 or maybe 2023.

Back