Hann's Barbelle Diary

hannata

I can haz cake?
For anyone who is not familiar with the term, a Barbelle is now the new term for a female weightlifter. Sorely missing the weightlifting threads in this forum so HERE WE GO.

I've been training for a few months after recovering from an inflammatory chest problem. Before I got ill I was a major cardio bunny, situps, running, walking, xtrainer, cycling, spin, you name it. Well no more! The only cardio sessions I do now are once a week, involving kettlebells (which I'm sure I'll explain the next time I do a session)

I'm very much a novice when it comes to weightlifting, but i'm tearing it up so far. Got a personal trainer on board to help me.

Learned to snatch for the first time today, was a pretty tricky thing to master. Its like trying to pat your head and rub yer tum!!

[video=youtube;L6SjuAOjMEk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SjuAOjMEk[/video]

(snatch example and how to)

by the by, the proper olympic bar without weights is 20 freakin kilos. >_<

weights! i love a good weights session

I haven't done much today exercise wise.

Was intending to go to the gym but sadly I fell out of my car ninja style slide on the ice, fell on my arse and landed on my elbow/wrist. Think I've jarred my wrist :( My forearms have been achy for a while as well, so decided to play it safe and give it a miss today.

Bought the barbell which I had to carry half way across town to my car, and when I got it home I HAD to give it a go, so did 20 squats and a few snatches. Not much but something. Will hit the gym tomorrow instead. :)

rawwrrr bought a 20kg olympic barbell today, much like the one they are using in the technique how to video up there. By heck 20kg is HEAVY. Havent even bought any weights yet!!

ouch, i use that weight in my body pump squats and its heavy enough! id like to do more but i cant lift any higher than that!

and hello :D

Have been a bit lazy over the past few days tsk tsk.

I bought some plates for my oly bar and they DO NOT FIT. URGH. Bought them from the same place too. Measured the plates and they were all about the same. measured the bar and one side is about 1mm bigger. -_- So they all fit on one side and not the other. Crackin.

Today I was at the gym with personal trainer. Training with him every week at the moment.

10 minutes xtrainer

kettlebell 20kg swings x10
clean and press - oly bar 20kg x 10
kettlebell 10kg swing x 10

(that was warm up)

Clean and press 25kg x 10
clean and press 30kg x 8
clean and press 35kg x 5

-attempted the 40kg but by this point my body was beginning to feel the wrath so I couldn't get the flick up to the shoulders bit at all -

clean and press 20kg (to fail) x 12

(10kg barbell)
snatch swing x 10
snatch swing & squat x 10
squat barbell on shoulders x 10
squat barbell raised x 10 - my shoulder were beginning to cry by this point

full snatch into press x 5 (incorporating all of the above in one seamless move)

Apparently the KB double handed swing is a good prep exercise for snatches. Your glutes can fire off milliseconds differently, and with a heavy snatch you could end up leaning to one side / dropping the bar. Double handed KB swings, done PROPERLY (fired from the glutes and hips) should help your body strengthen the glutes and get them into the way of firing off the muscles simultaneously. :)

Last edited:
sounds good!
more women need to get into weights, they seem to be scared of them for some reason

Today I was at the gym with personal trainer. Training with him every week at the moment.

10 minutes xtrainer

kettlebell 20kg swings x10
kettlebell 10kg swing x 10

(that was warm up)

Clean and press 25kg x 10
clean and press 30kg x 8
clean and press 35kg x 5

-attempted the 40kg but by this point my body was beginning to feel the wrath so I couldn't get the flick up to the shoulders bit at all -

clean and press 20kg (to fail) x 12

(10kg barbell)
snatch swing x 10
snatch swing & squat x 10
squat barbell on shoulders x 10
squat barbell raised x 10 - my shoulder were beginning to cry by this point

full snatch into press x 5 (incorporating all of the above in one seamless move)

Much respect hannata! I still feel the burn with my 7.5kg kettlebell...

Good on you :D

i bought a kettlebell, said it was a good for a beginer....
its only 4kg. its very very light to me.

thrown away the box and now i cant take it back.

Back