Happy Saint Patrick’s Day

GothicLolita

Hey there one & all wishing you an early Happy Saint Patrick’s Day.

Seeing as it is a bank holiday here tomorrow I probably won’t get the chance to lurk as I usually do because I’ll be @ home & my OH will be suspicious. He’s monitoring me very carefully @ the moment because formerly when he found my Exante supply he freaked out & destroyed my sachets. What a waste of €142!! He grew up in a family where there were food issues, so he was slightly unnerved. I now have my box hidden away @ work. It’s such a shame because I need the silent support of others now more than ever. I ate my weight in baked treats last night and again tonight. I always turn to baking whenever slightly stressed.

I look at my life & I’ve nothing to be stressed about the poor people living and working near the Fukushima plant in Japan have worries, the people in Libya have genuine concerns but me, what have I to be worried about? I’ve got a home, my dream home. I’ve got a job, granted a thankless one in frontline PS where I get nothing but verbal abuse for the state the country is in. I am not costing the country billions I did not go out and spend money I did not have during the so called Celtic Tiger era costing future generations’ unknown debt and hardship. (I know too the UK government has taken considerable political stick for its decision to lend us money - to then announce that it was lowering the interest rate required on the loan while ramping up University fees to £9000 per year, etc none of this my fault but I keep on getting it in the neck).

I know this is just over-indulgent self disgust which is just self obsession but no matter how often I try to say “just snap out of it” to myself it does not work. I know I am worried about my job, although PS there is no such thing as a job for life & the new government just launched its value for money research/slash and burn in my sector. This is something I will have no control over, my weight on the other hand I should control.

I keep typing and deleting but perhaps I will just post & be dammed and once it’s out there in the eternal haunting me perhaps it will shame me into getting my act together.

Forgive my ramblings if you’ve been polite enough to make it this far.

Beannachtaí na Féile!

I think stresses and worries are all relative to what's going on in your own life. Clearly what's happening in Japan, Libya etc can't be compared to, but it's not easy being in Ireland these days either. Even though we sometimes feel our stresses etc are self indulgent, they're still real so don't beat yourself up about worrying and feeling you don't have the right just because a big wave didn't wash your house away.

As for baking - I too am a stress baker. What I'm trying to do now is find some healthier versions of the things i love. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of a woman called Susan Jane Murray. She does the nutrition spot on Tom Dunne's show on Newstalk. Anyway if you google her and have a look on her website, she has some great recipes for baked goods that are dairy free and low in sugar etc so should be better for the waistline too. I'm going to try out her chocolate-beetroot cake on Friday. Have heard great things about beetroot for baking!

In the meantime, stick with us if you're finding it tough and try to eat something green tomorrow! Most green stuff is healthy and obviously very festive!

Le grá,
Cathy x

Back