Has anyone been to Goa or planning to?

Maximus

Gold Member
I have this plan to visit every continent, I have the opportunity to visit India with work (paid & expenses) but most likely Calcutta & Bangalore, possibly Mumbai. Not sure whether to go as mixed reports from colleagues who have been already.

So, Goa, I like the idea of India, but heavily european, or specifically Portuguese influenced. Has anyone any experience. Looking at December travel.

Steve

My Mum has just got back and said it's full of Scousers- you'll LOVE it!!

I kid you not.

Right then, get your ma to post on here Queen;) - full of scousers is not exactly wish you were here style detail:cool:

Although it is similar time of year. Ask her about the area, the climate, temperature, any jabs needed, do's and don't's etc. - no go areas, food - you know the stuff.:p

I shall ask :D

Apparently, there is this really common scam for getting a free third week involving sore teeth and a crooked doctor. My mum would never do it (she's a fraud investigator) but my Dad was all for it!

I love goa, particularly south goa. Been loads of times. We've done Mumbai to death too. Did you end up going maximus?

We've been to India twice visiting North India & the South India. We didn't go to where you're thinking of though. We didn't have any jabs or take malaria tablets as the areas we were going to weren't high risk areas.

You'll need lots of hand sanitizer gel, ignore the beggars and make the most of the cheap lovely food:D The Indian people love westerners & are always willing to talk to you.

Given the opportunity I'd definately go. You won't get ripped off, i.e. you won't be given the wrong change:rolleyes: but knowing you're a westerner they will charge you more for things, but not overly so.

I have this plan to visit every continent, I have the opportunity to visit India with work (paid & expenses) but most likely Calcutta & Bangalore, possibly Mumbai. Not sure whether to go as mixed reports from colleagues who have been already.
So, Goa, I like the idea of India, but heavily european, or specifically Portuguese influenced. Has anyone any experience. Looking at December travel.

Steve

I went to Goa for the first time in the 90's and I loved it so much I bought a timeshare there. I've been about a couple of dozen times since, even spent a whole month there over the millenium Christmas and New Year and would certainly recommend it to anyone. The people are lovely, the food is fabulous and some of the beaches are out of this world. I've stayed in the North and the South. The South is where I bought my timeshare and is much more quieter than the North. The North is where all the hustle and bustle is with the touristy places and the high volume of hotels and resorts. If you go you must go to Anjuna market and haggle your way to a bargain and also go to the moon party which is held on a beach up there and watch the sunrise (strictly for the party animals! ;) )

I think Goa gives people a taste of India but without experiencing the dire poverty that you see in other parts. That's not to say Goa doesn't have those issues but they are not as in your face as other places like Mumbai and Calcutta.

I preferred Delhi to Mumbai. didn't like mumbai at all!! That could be something to do with I got food poisoning one year in Mumbai through eating salad :sign0137:) Delhi is very cosmopolitan and of course the Taj Mahal is a wonderful place to visit if you get over those sides. Bangalore is also a lovely place to visit and is fairly easily accessible from Goa.

It's fantastic you've got the opportunity to go and get it paid for too. I wouldn't miss it for the world! Enjoy! :D

Shout if you need any further info as I could carry on all night bigging it up!

I preferred Delhi to Mumbai. didn't like mumbai at all!! That could be something to do with I got food poisoning one year in Mumbai through eating salad :sign0137:) Delhi is very cosmopolitan and of course the Taj Mahal is a wonderful place to visit if you get over those sides. Bangalore is also a lovely place to visit and is fairly easily accessible from Goa.

It's fantastic you've got the opportunity to go and get it paid for too. I wouldn't miss it for the world! Enjoy! :D

Delhi is very cosmpolitan & the Taj Mahal is much more amazing than any photo you'll ever see, if you're going it's a must.

Me too I could spend all night bigging it up, we plan to go back in the next couple of year & do the Darjeeling Steam train journey, I just don't have enough holidays & money for all the places I want to visit:rolleyes:

Good stuff - really helps speaking to people who have been. I'm a Floridian at heart, but fancied a change. As I say I want to visit a few other continents too.

So the Darjeeling Steam train trip sounds an essential. I haven't a clue of the distances and layout/geography.

Which are the main resorts in Goa? - and what about practical info such as internal flights and rail travel? - is it cheap/convenient? - I would of course have to visit the Taj Mahal in Agra.

Might grab some brochures tomorrow;)

I've just remembered, IRTC no longer accept international bookings, you can book flights, trains, hotels through Cheap Air Tickets at Cleartrip, Flight Booking, Hotels & IRCTC Indian Railways Train Booking there is a very small booking fee.

When we went to see the Taj Mahal we stayed in Bharatphur (which is a few miles away from Agra) the reason we stayed there is we wanted to visit the bird sanctuary there which is one of the largest bird sanctury's in the world, it was amazing.:D

Yes internal travel is cheap, we've used Jet airlines before. The Darjeeling Steam train journey may be a little too far away:rolleyes: Rail travel is very cheap try https://www.irctc.co.in/ for info on booking, journeys etc. Also take a look at Train travel in India - a beginner's guide

This is a nice little website I go on HolidayIQ | India holidays, India hotels, Reviews, Maps, Packages, Weekend Getaways, Forums

How exciting:D

BTW we're off to the Keys in November, have you ever been?

Thanks for all that info:)

Not stayed at the keys, looks amazing but have visited. Would need to stay there to do it justice. Looks more like the real Florida - similarly with the Everglades. Great if you're into boating and fishing etc. Oh and star-watching too:cool:

Steve

edit: and as a birder, the Bird Sanctuary seems too good an opportunity to miss too!

I went to Goa for the first time in the 90's and I loved it so much I bought a timeshare there. I've been about a couple of dozen times since, even spent a whole month there over the millenium Christmas and New Year and would certainly recommend it to anyone. The people are lovely, the food is fabulous and some of the beaches are out of this world. I've stayed in the North and the South. The South is where I bought my timeshare and is much more quieter than the North. The North is where all the hustle and bustle is with the touristy places and the high volume of hotels and resorts. If you go you must go to Anjuna market and haggle your way to a bargain and also go to the moon party which is held on a beach up there and watch the sunrise (strictly for the party animals! ;) )

I think Goa gives people a taste of India but without experiencing the dire poverty that you see in other parts. That's not to say Goa doesn't have those issues but they are not as in your face as other places like Mumbai and Calcutta.

May well be in touch!;)

Back