Has anyone quit smoking while following SW?

kissme

Gold Member
Hi all it is D-day today and i'm quitting smoking!

Just wanted to know if anyone has quit smoking while following slimming world? and how it went?
and if there is any pitfalls i should watch out for?

Oh D-Day for me too! There's some threads on here re stopping smoking if you have a quick search, might give you some motivation or advice.

Are you using anything? I'm using patches because I think if theres something out there that will help I'm going to use it! The inhalators are good too for a quick 'hit'. Only advice I can give is think about the times you really want one and keep yourself busy. Go for a walk etc and try and avoid being around any 'smoking buddies' when they go out for one (I'm sure they'll understand) Good luck! :)

Wendy

I did it with Slimmiung World in August 1998. I put on half a stone, which was OK, I lost it again after about 6 months. I've put on lots more in the last 5 years|!! I sucked on chupa chups which I think, were aobut half a syn, and picked on sunflower seeds.

Lynda

Oh D-Day for me too! There's some threads on here re stopping smoking if you have a quick search, might give you some motivation or advice.

Are you using anything? I'm using patches because I think if theres something out there that will help I'm going to use it! The inhalators are good too for a quick 'hit'. Only advice I can give is think about the times you really want one and keep yourself busy. Go for a walk etc and try and avoid being around any 'smoking buddies' when they go out for one (I'm sure they'll understand) Good luck! :)

Wendy

I'm using niquitin minis 4mg. I'm quite a heavy smoker and i didn't really like the patches as i have ezcema and it leaves me with a big patch of ezcema lol!

the only thing with the niquitin mini is it makes you feel like you have fag ash stuck to the back of your tongue! which makes me feel a bit sick but with plenty of water you hardly notice!!

Well done mumtheshopper! That's motivating that you've been off so long. It might sound daft but when I gave up before I carried a bottle of water with me and just kept sipping from it. Taking the lid on and off kept my hands busy and I felt like I was putting something in my mouth lol (oo er ;)) Love water now so hopefully that will do the trick again :D

I'm using niquitin minis 4mg. I'm quite a heavy smoker and i didn't really like the patches as i have ezcema and it leaves me with a big patch of ezcema lol!

the only thing with the niquitin mini is it makes you feel like you have fag ash stuck to the back of your tongue! which makes me feel a bit sick but with plenty of water you hardly notice!!
Niquitiin mini I haven't heard of that. Fag ash stuck to the back of your tongue lol sounds gross but maybe that would be more incentive!

Well done mumtheshopper! That's motivating that you've been off so long. It might sound daft but when I gave up before I carried a bottle of water with me and just kept sipping from it. Taking the lid on and off kept my hands busy and I felt like I was putting something in my mouth lol (oo er ;)) Love water now so hopefully that will do the trick again :D

lol already had 3 pints of water today i filled up my 250ml like a million times already!! Sipping water does give my hands something to do!! and i know what you mean bout the mouth thing!! so saucy so early!! lol

lol already had 3 pints of water today i filled up my 250ml like a million times already!! Sipping water does give my hands something to do!! and i know what you mean bout the mouth thing!! so saucy so early!! lol
Well if nothing else we'll be drinking lots of water AND giving up smoking! How healthy will we be ;) I'm going to make a big batch of free soup to nibble on, and shoppings coming today so will have plenty of free foods in. Hee hee couldn't think of any other way to put the mouth thing does sound a tad saucy though :D

im on chewing gum apple slices and a bottle of water lol those will be my hand/ mouth things!!! lol that sounds just as bad!

I gave up smoking just over a month ago. Started SW a few days later.

It's going ok, but I was more of a social smoker. Could get through 40 easily over the weekend :(

I've cut right back on alcohol, as for me it went hand in hand. I've been to the pub twice in a month, which is very unusual for me. Both times, I've been desperate for a cigarette, so it shows it's very psychological in my case!

I joined SW, so at least I could have decent portion sizes and healthy snacks, as I was concerned about putting on weight.

Good luck to all those giving up :)

hey girls! well done on giving up smoking!! i quit about 4 years ago by reading the Allen Carr book (not to be confused with alan carr the comedian!) - I read it twice before I quit - the first time I read it I agreed with it all, but wasn't quite ready to quit... then a few months later and read it again and timed it so I out my last cigarette out on the last page of the book!! I never smoked, nor wanted to smoke again! it's called "the easy way" and if anyones thinking of quitting - I highly recommend it! :) good luck xxx

Yes I know what you mean sugarlove, pub=cigs to me too! Well done on giving up that's fab :)

hey girls! well done on giving up smoking!! i quit about 4 years ago by reading the Allen Carr book (not to be confused with alan carr the comedian!) - I read it twice before I quit - the first time I read it I agreed with it all, but wasn't quite ready to quit... then a few months later and read it again and timed it so I out my last cigarette out on the last page of the book!! I never smoked, nor wanted to smoke again! it's called "the easy way" and if anyones thinking of quitting - I highly recommend it! :) good luck xxx
Thanks Cara, first day and I keep thinking for a sec oh I'll have a fag then I remember lol, hopefully once I get past that I'll be ok. I've heard good things about the book, in fact I'm sure my mom has a copy will have to ask her. Not sure if I could sit and read a whole book on quitting smoking but will give it a try and see if it helps. I've heard people say they read it and lose the cravings afterwards. Oh yes just remembered do you not have to be smoking still to start it? Or have I got that wrong, maybe a bit late for me?

Hee hee I've also just spent the last couple of hours cleaning out my kitchen cupboards took my mind right off it lol.

oh it's definately worth a read!! :) it's a fairly short book and although it sounds hard to believe it's actually really interesting! (or I need to get out more - lol!) technically you are supposed to still smoke when you read it - on the basis that you won't be distracted by cravings, but if you've already quit I still think you'd get something from it :) well done on quitting it really is one of thebest things you can do for your health! good luck with SW too - we're all going to be a very healthy bunch soon!! C xx (and all the money saved from not smoking can be used to treat yourselves to some nice new and smaller clothes!!! C x

Thanks Cara I think I will still give it a read then, I'm sure it will help reinforce why I'm doing it. :)

I have been quit 1 year tomorrow!! yipeee, I have put on about 1/2 stone but that's my own fault I did eat like a pig! but started the diet again now :)

I was such a heavy smoker, would light one before shopping then would rush round and light up as soon as i come out! I give up for health reasons, I have asthma and i honestly thought I am gonna die if i carry on, i smoked roll ups too, really could not breath at times and i never wanted to laugh because i would end up coughing my lungs up.

I gave up with patches, be sure the use all of them and all stages! I also had the gum for when i was really craving.

I am so proud of myself, so well done for giving up and best of luck xxx

I would also recommend 'The Easy Way'. It is so good at rationalising the physical craving and explaining that it isn't causing any actual pain just a type of hunger (which is why some people eat more to compensate).

I'm saying all this like an old sage, but I started smoking again (8 months later) after making the mistake that just one wouldn't hurt!!!! What a fool!!!! The book explains all about the need to avoid that 'one' as it reawakens the monster lurking inside you. Interestingly, the book also states that nicotine replacement just prolongs the agony.

I need to give up again but I am going to wait until I have lost 2 stone...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Best of luck though xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

well tbh its day 2 and the nrt just makes me want to be sick so gone it alone for just oer 24 hours now and feel 10x better than with nrt! and no cravings!

How are you getting on with it kissme? I'm doing better than I thought I would.....at the moment! I haven't been in a situation yet where I know I would be tempted so keeping my patch on and reminding myself 'I am a non smoker' 'I am a non smoker' lol

This is how I gave up smoking 6 years ago - have had a slight lapse the last month where somehow before I knew it I have started again (after a tipsy night out) so I'm digging out the book, and I have no doubt that it will work again....kill those little belly monsters that are cravings!!!

I'm doing great i dont want one, tried one today and it made me throw up! i couldnt believe it! it tasted gross i smelt gross and to think i used to love to smoke so much!!!!

Back