Having a moan, SW veterans and experts help please

leilahmichaelah

I'm not new to slimming world and have all the books and mags. I've rejoined groups several times. I would even buy "commitment" countdown weeks but not attend or attend and not follow the plan.
I stay at my group but I don't feel any support there. The consultant is friendly and I enjoy chatting with some members there but it doesn't help motivate me much.
What they suggest I either already know, can find out online or if they say something inspiring it doesn't last beyond the day of group.
I feel like I don't care, if I'm hungry and weighing in in an hour, I'd still stuff my face with anything I want and go to get weighed. I feel like I don't care.
I've tried going it alone, blogging my journey, keeping a diary, having weightloss buddies, mini goals, rewards with spa/shoes/jewellery.. but I'm just still not sticking to it. I bought larger clothes that are now too tight on me and I don't care. I feel ugly and that I don't care.. like it's not the most important thing in the grand scheme of things.. like child hunger, wars, pain and suffering in the world...

Also, when I hear people in the group saying something like:
"I've put on weight this week because I had rice and rice is a problem for me" or that they can't do carbs (even the allowed ones) without gaining weight and another saying that they eat 2 meals a day now and no snacks because they need to speed up weightloss..or some other references to other diets myths it just makes me think that many of those who actually do lose weight aren't eating lots of sw food but rather are doing some other form of relaxed low carbs, calorie counting or "no food after 8pm"... or even soup diet as many rave about living on soup for days to speed up weight loss..
I feel like the whole plan when they put oh look I've lost x amount of weight on SW in the magazine they've probably lost the weight because they have cut calories or done red days (low carb)..and if im going to follow low carbs i may as well enjoy nuts, avocado and fried chicken skin on!!

I just sometimes wonder if there is no plan really... but that people just end up eating less calories..
also, why do i not care anymore like this?...could i be simply self sabotaging? previously i "dropped off" sw classes due to similar doubts about the plan..

thanks for reading my long post i look forward to hearing from youxx

For one thing get it out of your head that to really loose weight you need to eat at certain times or cut out carbs ect. that is not the plan and the plan does work without doing these things, I'm surprised your consultant lets people say those things as mine doesn't. If anyone ever says anything like that they get told that it works even without doing those things, or if someone for some reason has to cut things out she explains to everyone that not everyone has to do this.

I'm just under 9 stone and I eat all my syns, eat big portions and eat late at night. None of these things stop me loosing weight.

As for getting motivation I actually can't really help you there, it really sounds like your head just isn't in the right place to loose weight as like you said, you just don't care at the moment. Maybe you should take a bit of a break from it all until the new year and see if you feel any different then. When you do feel like your in the right place then remember that the plan does work and you don't need to tweak it by cutting free food out to get to your target weight.

Thank you so much, your weight loss is amazing! It's nice to hear from someone that admits eating plenty and full syns.. I've heard many say they have to cut down as they slim down.
The consultant does say that everyone is different but for example, rice is allowed and is a free food but obviously she is diplomatic enough not to argue with the lady that says that rice makes her gain weight as the lady might not like being challenged and stops coming to group..and it might well be that her body doesnt agree with it.............. but im skeptical... as it's gluten free and not known to cause allergy..

I've taken a break before from dieting and i ended up putting half a stone on top of the extra weight.. i understand that you can't make people change their eating habbits they have to want it and do it by themselves...

thanks so much for your input x

That's okay, I hope I didn't sound harsh when I said you don't sound like your heads in the right place, but it is a difficult time of year as well.

Do you have a lot of plans before Christmas, you could always try sticking to plan where you can but not beating yourself up over the times you do go over because of Christmas plans. That way you'll limit any damage you may cause, its what I'm doing at the moment as I have lots of plans before Christmas now. I'm hoping not to come out of target, but expect that I will be.

I'm struggling with motivation a little myself now as I won't be going to group for 3 weeks, but going to try and stick to plan as much as possible.

I could never follow a diet that made me cut down on portion sizes or not snack, I love my food that's how I put weight on in the first place. I don't see any need to pretend otherwise, its why I love slimming world (think I do family and friends heads in because I never shut up about it haha)

What they suggest I either already know, can find out online or if they say something inspiring it doesn't last beyond the day of group.
I feel like I don't care, if I'm hungry and weighing in in an hour, I'd still stuff my face with anything I want and go to get weighed. I feel like I don't care.
I've tried going it alone, blogging my journey, keeping a diary, having weightloss buddies, mini goals, rewards with spa/shoes/jewellery.. but I'm just still not sticking to it. I bought larger clothes that are now too tight on me and I don't care. I feel ugly and that I don't care.. like it's not the most important thing in the grand scheme of things.. like child hunger, wars, pain and suffering in the world...

I completely agree with the last poster who floated the idea that you may be suffering from depression. There are a few pointers to this in your post, but I've quoted the most relevant bit IMVHO.

I think choosing to lose weight is very hard and it really takes a complete change in attitude, this is something that can't be forced. I've mucked about for a couple of years, I've done WW, Low carb, SW (this is my second go), CC, gym mania and lost and gained the same half a stone over and over again. This time something...clicked and I committed 100% to the plan. No more sneaky bottles of wine on the weekend and not counting the syns, no more bites of bread (unless I've synned them), no more messing about basically! This takes strength I think, and if you're feeling low it is very difficult to summon that up.

Yes your head really does have to be in the right place I totally agree with that. You have to commit 100% to the plan, if you dont then its not going to work. It is a difficult time of year to lose weight, even those 100% commited and motivated still struggle at Christmas (holding hands up here)! Perhaps like has been suggested you could start again in the new year when all the temptations which are currently in the shops have gone. Although there will always be temptations it is so much harder at the minute.

Hi Don't think I can add the advice you have already been given but didn't want to read and leave.

Don't worry about what anyone else in the group is saying, if they don't want to eat carbs / only have soup / not eat after a certain time at night then thats up to them. You just be smug in the fact that if you stick to the plan 100% you can have the big portions, can eat at anytime and can have your full 15 syns a day. I do and I still lose. These people that are restricting themselves are not following the plan and are eating in a way that is not sustainable.

I agree with the above that your head needs to be 'in it' to be able to follow any diet. I know as I have struggled and it took me a long time after last christmas to get back into it, so much so that I had to take a 4 wk break and rejoin as a brand new member. I had to get all my fat eating out of the way before I could get back on plan. Maybe you need to do the same?

You do care if you are posting on here and still going to get weighed, maybe you do need to speak to someone about the feeling that you don't care. A friend maybe?

Everyone on here is fantastic so please keep coming on we love to help. Good luck XX

I follow the plan eat like a horse and lose weight it does work it Is not a myth ....but there Is one important thing to remember .....YOUR HEAD NEEDS TO BE IN IT .... if not it wont work i have had blips along my journey where like you have just eaten what i want but unless I want to go back to the size i was i have to get back on it and currently I am on it again

How much do you want to lose weight? How does Being overweight make you feel?
Is cheating the plan really worth it?
Is it worth paying for a plan that your not going to follow?

These are all questions i have asked myself over my past yr on sw

You can eat out on slimming world
You can have treats on slimming world
You can make fantastic tasting food on slimming world

Patience, dedication and plenty of research are very important on sw its a lifestyle not a diet you have to change the way you think about food, adapt how you prepare and Cook it make better choices with what you eat and limit your treats "syns"

Thin really does feel better than chocolate tastes xxx

Sorry for the ramble lol but a post similar to this helped me out of my sabotage a bit back

Ive found what keeps me on track Is modifying and inventing recipes I try my hardest to make low syn and syn free meals so I can save all syns for actual treats like chocolate crisps etc i type up my recipes take pics of the food and post on here and take printouts and samples to my Group it helps me and I love it :D you just need to find your thing :)

Back