head catching up with my body?

roundrachel

Silver Member
I just wanted to see if anyone else is having the same problem as me. Having lost so much weight I'm having problems adjusting to being the size I am in my head.

I think I won't fit through spaces I clearly will. I hold onto things because I think I won't be able to balance myself. I STILL won't sit on my OH's knee for fear of cutting off the blood supply, I won't sit on low chairs because I think I won't be able to haul myself out of them.

Is anyone else who has a lost a lot experiencing the same thing. It's like I'm still thinking like a 23 stone person who will break pavement slabs if I walk on them!

Will this ever change I wonder? Just worried, I should be light on my feet but I still think like I'm an elephant in the room :-(

Hi Rachel - I kind of know what you mean! I've lost 42lb, and obviously there must be a noticeable difference, but I'm not sure I can see it!!! I still have 40lb to go so obviously still flabby, but I had photos taken on Xmas day (I actually let my DH take some when I'd have run from the camera normally!) but I still think I look huge! I've uploaded some 'pre LL' and 'during' pics to my album today, but I can't get over the size of my arms still! I've always hated how fat they are and hate wearing short sleeves!!

I did wonder if and when you get used to have lost the weight. I'm in a size 14 now, and was a size 18-20 8 weeks ago, so I know I must look different. I can also sit on the floor and wrap presents without too much bother, and I can bend down to look at something in a shop and my knees will actually lift me back up without me hauling myself up on something like I used to!

It's such a weird feeling though! And you've lost way more than me so it must be tenfold for you! I'm sure given time you will accept the new you! You are fab!

it's a very odd sensation. I know and can see how much weight I've lost. I've had more pictures taken of me over the past week than I have in the past 10 years.
It's just that I seem to still be moving and physcially acting like a morbidly obese person.
Hopefully my insides will catch up soon and I'll get my balance back. Feel like a wobbly weeble at the moment!! Don't feel fat-just not good on my feet

I think, just like everything else, it is entirely down to the individual when the "realisation" starts to happen.

For me, it's starting to happen about now (8.5 weeks, 45lbs gone). Sometimes, I'll catch a reflection in the mirror, or shop window, or parked car window and think "Wow! Is that really me?", other times I see a recent photo or look in the mirror and think "where have I lost the pounds from? I look the same..."

One thing that has certainly helped me, I never go anywhere (and I mean ANYWHERE, even in the house) without a copy of my "before" picture in my pocket/wallet/bag.

That way, whenever I see a reflection of myself and think something negative, I whip out that photo and do an on-the-spot comparison - that way, the difference is undeniable as you are seeing the change there and then.

In the pub on Xmas Eve (I wasn't drinking, obviously!) I got caught off-guard and captured in a photo (I usually make sure I'm 'posed' for a photo :p ) so when I looked at the image on the camera screen, my immediate reaction was to think "Oh God, I look HUGE! :( "

But then I forced myself to keep looking at it, and think good things about it - finding things in the photo about me that I liked. My eyes showed up really blue, my hair looked good, my smile was even and my teeth look clean and white......

And you know, the longer I looked, the more positive things I found to think about the photo, until I was finally able to look at it and take it for what it really was - a nice photo of me and my friend, where I don't look "huge"; I just look like me :)

thing is, this problem is purely physical and not mental I think. It's like my body has lost all sense of balance becuase it still compensates for the 155lbs I used to carry around with me.

I know I'm gorgeous and slim now. I've got used to that bit and it's great. I've just got these worrying symptoms and wanted to know if anyone else has suffered the same. Maybe it's something for me to see the doctor about? x

Completely normal hun, you lose so quickly your head can't possibly keep up. It takes time but you will adjust.

xx

Hey RR :)

I have been saying that in a lot of my posts recently, that it really is a case of mind catching up with body, for me. We have lost a HUGE amount of weight. Over 100 pounds!!! That is a COMPLETE change. Don't get me wrong, all losses are good, and mean change, but I think when you are talking about a complete and total change - to a size that we have never even seen - well, its quite dramatic. It can't possibly feel "normal" overnight.

I too find myself stepping gingerly so as not to be seen as a lumbering pile of lard, and not to make heavy foot steps. When my husband lifts me up, I panic and think his veins are going to pop.....same for me too - I still wouldn;t want to sit on his lap. Until he makes me and I see he doesn't die. lol

My balance = I suppose it has been affected, but its hard for me to tell - because of an age old injury where I broke both knees, I have been unstable for the last 28 years due to that, so I can't really tell a difference.

It will all come together. TIme is our friend - we will adjust to our new shapes and how these new shapes move.

I hope one day to believe I am as thin as others say, as I too - when I look in the mirror I still see a fat person.... and that makes
me :( too. Not as bad as before obviously - but I see flaws first. Some days. Other days I have clarity and think Wow! Look at her!! :D

It's a HUGE adjustment!!! But we wil settle into our new bods in time. :)

XX

hey rachel, i have lost over 60lbs...(wont know for def till tues;)) and i dont think u are going mad!!

with ll u loose it so quick ur head doesnt really have time to catch up until the end and even not straight away. if u lost it on ww it would be slower so ud have time to get to grips with the difference in urself, but not on ll!!

i to was terrified of sitting on oh knee...even though i used to when i was bigger...i was just more aware of it now, but i made myself a challenge. if i thought "there is no way i can do that without hurting/breaking it" id challenge myself to try it!! within reason obviously but the big thing for me was my oh lifting me up...like proper carrying...he did it and held me up for ages and hes still alive...and the feeling I felt after was deadly!! lol!!

keep a list mental or physical of the things u dont think u could do...and conquer one a day...ul eventually start thinking hold on now...i am not "x" stone anymore i CAN do it!!

ur doing fab chic xxxx

Hi not so round Rachel

I completely relate to what you say.
I was 21.5 stone this time last year.Now i'm just under 10stone. i have updated my photos today.
I have the balance/co-ordination thing too. Not all the time, but occasionally I just stumble or totter a bit (no alcohol).My LLC says it's because your centre of gravity changes as you lose so much weight and we are used to blancing and moving in relation to where that used to be.
Also I dont expect to fit into small chairs,through doorways, be able to walk behind someone without bumping into them. Stand up if they want to get past me, expectthe water to get stuck behind me in the bath, etc,etc,etc,
So many adjustments to make. It is happening. It just takes time. Understandable when you think it through.
I don't think its worth speakng to the GP, but you could ask the LL medical team. I'm sure theyare used to these questions.
Good luck. Let me know how you get on .

ive not started LL yet and i can just imagine how hard it must be to get your head around the change, i cant see that i will ever see myself as slim, i know that everythme i look in a mirror i am bigger than the time before, i hope that i will see some change when the weight comes off.

i guess you just need some time to get used to the new you hun, after all you have been amazing!!!!

It is true that your head takes a while to catch up. When I originally got to goal I also misjudged spaces thinking I wouldn't fit through them.

I also remember a time not long after I got to goal I was leaving my job and on my works night out we were out dancing. One of my colleagues actually picked me up and spun me around a few times and I was absolutely horrified thinking he'd break his back. But I was light enough that it was easy for him but my head couldn't comprehend that immediately. When I realised what had happened my face must have been a picture!!!!

Hi there
I haven't started yet, so it's hard to imagine what you are talking about to be honest - but I guess that's whats going to make the LL experience easier, reading about what is in store so when things happen I will be prepared for them!
I can't ever imagine anyone wanting to/being able pick me up and spinning me round westigirl, that must have been good!
daisy x

Hi there
I haven't started yet, so it's hard to imagine what you are talking about to be honest - but I guess that's whats going to make the LL experience easier, reading about what is in store so when things happen I will be prepared for them!
I can't ever imagine anyone wanting to/being able pick me up and spinning me round westigirl, that must have been good!
daisy x

It was absolutely fantastic to be honest, but anyone trying to do it now really would break their backs :giggle:

Have faith, I believe you will get there. The programme works if you stick to it :D

I remember when BL's husband carried her up the stairs just before she went to the USA for Thanksgiving this year.
It really made an impression on me so goodness knows how she felt!
Those are the kind of memories we need to hold on to when temptation hits.
Whoever dreamt up the name LighterLife should get an award.It's so true on different levels.

I remember when BL's husband carried her up the stairs just before she went to the USA for Thanksgiving this year.
It really made an impression on me so goodness knows how she felt!
Those are the kind of memories we need to hold on to when temptation hits.
Whoever dreamt up the name LighterLife should get an award.It's so true on different levels.

Hey SL! :) Oh, that day - that was one of the best 5 days of my life!!! :D It was such a cool cool thing!!

I stil break into a cheshire cat grin when I think about it, and still laugh like a loon when he carries me, or lifts me, or swings me oike a rag doll. lol - seems I am HIS new toy!! :D But I am not complaining.

That was definately one of the best rewards for all this, and it is indeed a driving force for me to want to keep the weight off!!! :D

Hey BL... weirdly I was thinking about goals yesterday - needed some fresh focus... and being light enough to be picked up etc, was definitely a driving force for me too... I want to feel 'dainty' and girly, for OH to be able to fling me over his shoulder, or give me a piggy back if my feet are hurting, without me worrying that I'll break his back!

I bet it felt wonderful :)

x

Back