Hello All, a question from America

dollyfinn

Hello All, I was so excited to find this site today. I have done WW a million times and failed. So, I was surfing around and found SW. I read the website and it sounds like a great program. Of course, I think I am the only person in the US who has ever heard of it. I was thinking of doing the on-line program but wanted to get some opinions first.
Has anyone here ever done both WW and SW? Do you like SW better? Is it true when SW says you don't have to go hungry to lose the weight? Do you feel overly restricted in what you are allowed to eat?
Sorry to ask so many questions. But, I would really appreciate some more knowledge before I pay 2x's what you all do to join up:p Thanks for all your help in advance!!!!
Dolly

Welcome to Minimins.

I think whether WW or SW works depends on the individual. I tried SW but it just didnt work, I dont like veggies and found it too restrictive, I was sick looking at pasta lol Whereas I love the flexibility I get on WW - Im now doing WW and love it! I far prefer it BUT for every one person that prefers WW youll find another one who prefers SW.

Im sure there will be loads of posts later explaining the benefits *S* At the end of the day its all down to a personal choice and what suits your tastes and your lifestyle best.

Good luck with whatever one you choose :)

I personally got on better with weight watchers, why I dont know but do what will suit you and your lifestyle.

Hi Dolly, im another SW fan not doing it at the moment , doing Cambridge but will use SW principles when i do return to normal eating. You never need to feel hungry on SW cos it is all base around free food which depending on whether you are ona red or green day this can mean unlimited meat, fish, fruit and veg or unlimited rice, potatoes, pasta , fruit and veg. Free food means you never have to measure it and it really is unlimited, ive eaten whole chickens and big t bone steaks on it and lost bundles. You never need to run out of food to eat that day. Its great for big eaters like me. Good luck with whatever plan you choose and keep posting we'll help you through.

Hi Dolly

I just wanted to make a practical point about following SW in America. As a lot of the information that you get from SW is based on certain brands I think you would find it difficult to follow. Having lived in Canada myself and remembering how difficult I found food shopping due to all the items being different and even those branded items I thought would be the same for example Heinz Baked Beans actually tasting quite different and therefore made to a different recipe.

I would like to be more supportive but I think you would be better to follow a US based diet.

Hope you will stay in touch on Minimins though whatever diet plan you follow.

Dizzy x

The different food may be a problem but as long as the product has a nutrition panel you can input the information and get a syn value. This will be a slow process but once you've done it you will know what you are eating.

I love sw and would say go for it !!

Hi Dolly

I have done WW and SW in the past and much preferred SW. You never have to go to bed feeling hungry, you can eat as much as you want of "free" foods and you can also have your favourite treats too which are limited to "syns". Add on top of that "healthy extras" like cheese, wholemeal bread, cereals etc and you need never go hungry again!

If you have a hearty appetite and don't like feeling hungry, then SW is certainly an excellent choice!

Good luck with whatever diet you decide to follow.

Hi Dolly

I just wanted to make a practical point about following SW in America. As a lot of the information that you get from SW is based on certain brands I think you would find it difficult to follow. Having lived in Canada myself and remembering how difficult I found food shopping due to all the items being different and even those branded items I thought would be the same for example Heinz Baked Beans actually tasting quite different and therefore made to a different recipe.

I would like to be more supportive but I think you would be better to follow a US based diet.

Hope you will stay in touch on Minimins though whatever diet plan you follow.

Dizzy x

Slimming World is geared towards other countries. The healthy extra lists incorporate foods for America/Canada and Australia/NZ. If you join online you can get help with Syns Online and there is also a Syns Calculator where you could work out the syns on your favourite bar of chocolate just by keying in the relevant details.

Back