Hello I'm new to this calorie counting

Babana

Hi all. I'm so looking forward to giving and receiving tips from all you fellow calorie counters.
I need to lose 3-3.5 stone. I did manage to lose that amount 8 years ago with slimming world. However, over the years (and two children later)it has all crept back on again.

Anyway I now feel mentally ready to really go for it. I did consider slimming world again but just feel that 'I've been there, done that'. Plus my main weakness is lack of portion control and slimming world didn't really help with that.

My Mum suggested calorie counting and I discovered Myfitnesspal which is great.

I started on Thursday so will weigh in again this Thursday coming.

I went out on Sat night (arranged a long time ago) and I was expecting it to be fail diet day but amazingly with some good planning I was able to have few drinks and keep within my calories! This would never have happened on slimming world! This has given me real optimism for my weight loss. I don't have to give up everything I enjoy...hurray!

Anyway, I know it's early days and I've still got a few days til weigh in and a long road ahead of me.

Does anyone have any wise words of wisdom? :D

Good luck, the brilliant thing with calorie counting is absolutely nothing is off limits, as long as its within your allowance.

Agreed use my fitness pal to log everything including exercise.

Hello from a fellow calorie-counter!!

In a similar boat to you - around the same amount to lose and have done so previously but put it all back on! (eek!).. Joined Slimming World last year but didn't do too well with it to be honest.. too many 'free' foods that I was told I could eat and eat until my hearts content.. Just a shame that 'free' foods still contain calories lol!

I use MyFitnessPal and have recommended it to everyone that I know - it really is fab! If you have it on your phone the barcode scanner is absolutely genius..!! Every lazy persons dream he he!

You can even create your own recipes and work out how many a single portion contains which I've found to be one of the most beneficial aspects of it because SW (kind of - don't wanna appear to be dissing SW.. that could get ugly lol!) taught me that if you make healthy dish (say..Lasagne..) because everything in it is 'free' you can eat as much of it as you like..! But using MyFitnessPal, you know how many calories are in each portion and that really..you can't just eat as much as you like he he. Whereas SW gives you the option to eat more - this takes that away, therefore there is less temptation because you know catergorically that you shouldn't!! :D

If you need any advice or anything whatsoever, please don't hesitate to give me a shout - link to diary below! :) xx

Hello! I don't really have any words of wisdom lol, just echoing what everyone else said about logging every little thing that you eat. And if you're not using one already, I'd really recommend digital food scales. :)

Back