Hello - newbie and desperate!

MrsB09

Hi everyone! I'm new to this and new to slimming world but it looks like something I can do and I really want to stick to it. I started on Monday 11th feb 2013 and weighed myself for the first time in nearly 2 years as the last time I was weighed was when I fell pregnant with my daughter who's now 10 months (I also have a son who's 2)
Basically I just don't want to be a fat mum anymore. To see that I weigh over 16.5stone was a shock. I've always been big (at my slimmest being a comfy size 14) but never this big. After I weighed myself I felt miserable and as if to hammer the nail into the coffin my 2 year old keeps saying "mum too big!" (Think he's copying me!!) so now I'm going to do it. I want to reach a goal of around 11stone but to be honest, it's not the weight (although I don't want to be this big ever again!) I just want to fit in normal size clothes (currently around a size 20) and feel healthy, not out of breath chasing round after the kids.
I'd love some moral support and words of encouragement when I feel like reaching for the cake and chocs and I hope you all can do that for me here and hopefully I can help you too (although my willpower is next to nothing but i'll try!!)
Becky xxx

Hi Becky, I've joined Minimins today too! I totally understand the fat mum thing...I have a 4 year old son who keeps drawing pictures of our family and he always draws (in his words) "mummy's big fat belly!" :cry:He doesn't do it upset me, he's just drawing and saying what he sees, but that has given me the nudge I needed to join Slimming World. I've always been big, currently size 26/28 and I too just want to fit into 'normal size' clothes, tbh I'd be happy to fit into a size 18 and would like to race around with my little one without feeling out of breath.
I joined SW on 8th Jan this year and have to say I'm enjoying the extra easy plan. So far I've got my 1/2 stone and 1 stone awards, plus I've been Slimmer of the week twice (once last night - yey!) and I was Slimmer of the month in Jan. My Mum also joined with me and she got her 1/2 stone award last night.
The plan is great for family meals and I find as long as I plan what I'm cooking and pretty much cook from scratch, the whole family can enjoy a tasty, filling and syn free dinner. Then that leaves me syns to enjoy in the evening when I crave naughty things (crisps/choc) the most! The hardest bit for me has been the lack of bread, but I guess I just need to deal with that if I want to loose weight.
There are some fab recipes on the SW website and in their books. I've also learnt a lot of tips on here (hence joining) and the SW free app. is great for checking syns if you have a smart phone.
My biggest tip would be to make sure you eat plenty; the weeks when I've not eaten much, or not had hardly any syns, or had loads more free food than superfree my losses haven't been as good. So on my food diary I make sure every column is equal/balanced.
My motivation has been my little boy, so I would say use your little ones to motivate you and you will find the willpower to stick to it!
Good luck and let me know how your 1st weigh in goes,
Jo xx

Hello and welcome both, first you've taken the 1st step to loosing weight and SW rocks!! I myself was also a size 20 when joining, 11 month later size 10 and had been on holiday in those months!! Don't forget kids can be brutally honest (bless their hearts) NOT Sometimes!! Don't be so hard on yourself think of this as the start of the rest of your life....... When I joined group I seen all the "skinny" people and though I never get there!! And the stickers I wanted them now, but each sticker earned gave me the determination to carry on. Good luck with your weight loss journey :) x

Hi mrsB09! You sound so similar to myself! I find It hard to say 'no' to things and I know it's only day two but I've found myself saying no so much as people are so used to me saying yes or asking!-terrible! I used to eat 3-4 takeaways a week as it was easy cause I'm a student, but I have a 3yr old daughter who eats as bad as I do and I feel terrible because my habits are being forced upon her! I drastically need to change my eating habits. I can't cook. She won't eat anything of good nourishment. And that down to me to be honest. So as I lose weight hopefully she will too. I need someone to support me through this, I'll lookout for your posts :) we have a similar wannabe weight loss too, and clothes size x

Also, even now I have issues with my body, small boobs, big legs, stretchmarks!! I think whatever I look like I find fault.... Photoshop has a lot to answer for!!!! X

Hi! Thanks for your reply!
It's terrible isn't it? I really don't want to be fat mummy any more and I want to be able to take kids swimming without feeling crippling embarrassment getting all my wobbly bits out! I'm finding slimming world so much better than ww which I did (an failed at badly!!) before as with two such young kids its almost impossible to find the time to count calaries/points/fat etc! But with sw the kids are just having what I have and they love it! It also means that my habit of finishing up their food before is getting broken as its same as what I've just had! Although its amazing to think that before this diet, on days where I thought I'd hardly eaten, the snacking I did was so bad for me and I'd still have a big fatty dinner in the evening!
I've stuck to diet quite well so far, I'm not really a massive meat eater so mostly having green and orange days, but like you bread and carbs are my biggest diet fail! So I've tried adding in lots of fish and veg and actually, even just in 3 days I'm feeling much healthier for it! Psychological maybe but I haven't felt hungry and actually struggling to eat all my syns! I'm eating lots of free stuff and my a's and b's but once I've had that I just can't fancy anything so only been having a few syns a day. Do you think I should force myself more or stick to it? I suppose I'll only know once I have weigh in! I'm also finding it really hard not to weigh myself now and wait till next week! I just so hope I'm not going to be disappointed!
Well done on how well you've done so far and can't wait to hear about your Pounds dropping off! Here's to being slim in time for summer!! Xx

Hi! Thanks for your reply!
It's terrible isn't it? I really don't want to be fat mummy any more and I want to be able to take kids swimming without feeling crippling embarrassment getting all my wobbly bits out! I'm finding slimming world so much better than ww which I did (an failed at badly!!) before as with two such young kids its almost impossible to find the time to count calaries/points/fat etc! But with sw the kids are just having what I have and they love it! It also means that my habit of finishing up their food before is getting broken as its same as what I've just had! Although its amazing to think that before this diet, on days where I thought I'd hardly eaten, the snacking I did was so bad for me and I'd still have a big fatty dinner in the evening!
I've stuck to diet quite well so far, I'm not really a massive meat eater so mostly having green and orange days, but like you bread and carbs are my biggest diet fail! So I've tried adding in lots of fish and veg and actually, even just in 3 days I'm feeling much healthier for it! Psychological maybe but I haven't felt hungry and actually struggling to eat all my syns! I'm eating lots of free stuff and my a's and b's but once I've had that I just can't fancy anything so only been having a few syns a day. Do you think I should force myself more or stick to it? I suppose I'll only know once I have weigh in! I'm also finding it really hard not to weigh myself now and wait till next week! I just so hope I'm not going to be disappointed!
Well done on how well you've done so far and can't wait to hear about your Pounds dropping off! Here's to being slim in time for summer!! Xx

I tried WW for 1 week, it was the worst week of my life!! I had never been so hungry, I though i was gonna pass out!!
joined SW, and never looked back!! Good luck all with your journeys :) x

LOL .First let me say welcome ,Im also a newbie here but so far all i have had is good advice and great tips .Myself im a weight watcher but have tried SW,SS,RC,lol and many many more i always think if you find a plan you like and it works for you then stick with it .My daughter is a SW fan and lost over 4 st i only ever managed 7lbs lol but have lost over 4 st on ww. Taking the first step is the hardest and you have done that so your back in control.

.My daughter is a SW fan and lost over 4 st i only ever managed 7lbs lol but have lost over 4 st on ww. Taking the first step is the hardest and you have done that so your back in control.[/QUOTE]

YES YES YES, ADMITTING you have a weight problem is the hardest part, except finding out what you weigh in the first week!! ;) x

Hello everyone. I joined today too. Good to meet you all. :)

Do you think I should force myself more or stick to it? I suppose I'll only know once I have weigh in! I'm also finding it really hard not to weigh myself now and wait till next week! I just so hope I'm not going to be disappointed!

Hi to everyone, thank you for your greetings!

I'm no SW expert but I would say do what feels right for you and see how you get on. Just don't be afraid to have syns if/when you crave something because you can still have a little something and lose weight. It's great that you're feeling healthier already and it's sooo nice to be on a diet and not feel hungry all the time!
I have to admit that I am naughty and weigh myself during the week (I can't help it!), but saying that I don't beat myself up when I'm heavier or the same weight as the last time and when I see losses it does give me an extra happy little boost! But I know, I know...weight fluctuates.
I lost 5st with weight watchers in the early 2000's, but after piling it back on (plus more) and now I'm a Mum, I definitely think SW is much more family friendly and easier for shopping and eating out by food optimising. I just don't have the time to count points/weigh things and I want to be able to cook one meal for the whole family, but I guess it comes down to whatever suits you, your lifestyle and eating habbits.
I've got a wedding and a weeks holiday booked to Fuerteventura in August, so here's to sitting comfortably on the plane, strappy summer tops, shorts, swimsuits and being able to chase after my son on the beach!
Here we come slimmer summer!!! xx

LOL that is always a shock ,But i think actually getting through the door (not because you are to big lol ) takes the most courage .
Skinny, I have to admit I didn't have that problem as I joined the same night as hubby. But a few people has said that walking through the doors were the hardest part (nerves etc, didn't know what to expect), so our group leader has come up with the genius idea of a meet and greet person! She is a SW member (now member of social group) and her job is only to meet and greet new members each session (2 on a monday night) offer a friendly smile, cuppa, and hope to banish any fear's people might have............until they come to me I take people's weights!! ha ha ha ;) xx

Hi MrsBO9, you can't worry about other people you have to think of yourself, walking into a SW group isn't difficult, being a bloke and walking in I can tell you it horrifying, at first but you are soon greeted with people that know what your going through, standing their while 60 women take off as much clothing as is legal ( ha ha ha ) but then I thought these people are going to have to stand there while I do the same.........oh well, I have been welcomed with open arms, we are all here for the same reason, so jump right in you'll enjoy it I do :)

Back