Help - high cal menu need some help choosing

shellywelly1983

Aiming for thin at 30!
Hi everyone,

I have a family party next weekend and we are on a chocolate day. We arrive and its hot chocolate and handmade biscuits - will get round that by leaving the biscuits and having a coffee instead.

Then we are cooking with choc and tasting so I will have tiny tastes but avoid where possible.

Then we are having a 3 course meal, which is below, please help me choose what to have.

The starters, I would usually have goats cheese as that is my fave but doubt I can get away with that! I have never tried plaice, is it a fishy fish?

For the mains I wondered about the chicken or beef without the sauce.

The desert I don't have a clue. The issue is that its OH family and they have been quite nasty about my weight in the past so I don't want them knowing I am doing slimming world so I will have to at least look like I am eating some of everything then have a excuse saying I don't like them etc.

Menu

Starters
Homemade Cauliflower Soup
Poached Fillet of Plaice with Wilted Spinach and a White Chocolate Sauce
Homemade Chicken Liver Pate with Toast & Homemade Chutney
Grilled Goats Cheese with Crouton Salad & Balsamic Dressing
Ham Hock Terrine with Piccalilli

Mains
Roast Gressingham Duck Breast with Kurly Kale and Dark Chocolate Sauce
Pan Fried Stone Bass in a Leek & Clam Broth
Braised Blade of Beef with Mash & Peppercorn Cream
Baked Chicken Breast with a Mushroom & Tarragon Jus
Mediterranean Vegetable Risotto with Fresh Parmesan

Deserts

Jam & Coconut Pudding
or
Very Chocolate Pudding
All served with Lashings of Custard!
A Trio of Chocolate Desserts
Chocolate Brownie
White Chocolate & Hazelnut Mousse
Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with Brandy Snap
Tiramisu
A Selection of Fine English Cheeses

Hi! The soup sounds like a good option! Or the plaice are going to be your best options!I like plaice bu I like all fish and seafood so I dunno my boyfriend doesn't like it but he is a fussy eater! If thy are homemaking the pate there will be TONNES of butter in this! so I would Stay well clear!! The goats cheese salad sounds good but they are using a balsamic dressing meaning it will be reduced with sugar meanig syns! But u could have the cheese as a HEA bit syn the croutons a I'm guessing it will be White bread! The mains I would probably go for the risotto as they may thicken with stock but they will propably add wine but the veg an the rice will be free! I would stay clear of the duck as this is very fatty! Especially if they have confi ed it meaning deep fried for hours in oil! The chicken and beef sound good aswell bur they will be cooked in fat but you could ask for it to be cooked with out fat but if u do this might raise suspicious are you are keeping quiet! Just beware of the mash as it will have butter and often in restaurant they use cream!! I hope I have been some help here! I used to wrk in a farm shop so I'm just going of how they used o cook the food from there ! Also if your oH family is nasty about your weight maybe if youtell them thy might be supportive! Does you OH not stick up for you?? Sorry if I'm being nosy. And if this is full of mistakes as I am on my phone :) xx

I forgot pudding! The only thing I can say is I'd you are good for starter and main just choose anything as a treat :) also iv just seen the fish in broth as a main this will also be very good I think but if u have fish as a starter it might be abit. Boring having loads if fish!! :) xx

I'd say soup then veg rissotto. You could have the cheese board as dessert & then some of it would be covered on your HEXs. In fact on a green day you could have up to 4 lots of cheese. The other option is to contact the restaurant & ask for a fruit salad.

Thank you both for your replies. I wondered about the soup, but thought they may add cream to the soup.

I love goats cheese and feel I may feel a little deprived if I don't have it. Can goats cheese go as a healthy extra - its not in the book. I don't like croutons so I would leave them anyway and the salad would be good. The dressing, I know balsamic dressing is quite low, even reduced in sugar I doubt it would be more than 2 sins.

I think I am ok with the mains now and may have the trio of choc for desert - I find choc things quite sickly and don't really enjoy more than a little so I think I would have a tea spoon of each and then feel satisfied.

Hi goats cheese i think you can have about 30g as a healthy extra A. goats cheese is quite expensive so u doubt they will but 30g on but to be on the safe side I would count it as a healthy A =] and you could also ask for the dressing on the side!! =] When i go to the carvery i have a small set of portable scales in my bag and i weigh the yorkie puds and the stuffing balls lol but this may raise a few eye brows, i know when i do when im wweight my food lol

also i think if they put cream in the soup then they would have to put cream of cauliflower im sure! trade description and all that! but im not sure =S

Back