Help Needed - application for student work

KD

Gone fishing
My son (aged 16) is looking for holiday work. Application forms coming in :clap:

Okay, I'm hopeless at knowing what he should write. Supermarket work is difficult to get as the main places work on a certain profile and it's hit and miss whether you tick the right boxes:rolleyes:

Anyway.

Questions:

Why do you want to work in ***?

Okay...so he wants to work for the money, but I guess that's not the right reply :D This is just holiday work, hardly a lifelong ambition to work at *** What would be a good reply?

Hours: Well...he'll be flexible, but they have asked for days and times. What should he put? Just write 'flexible' or 'any'?

Help...pretty please

When I worked for a large chain of restaurants normally if people were quite flexible with hours then they would just write any and this was fine.

Under why he wants to work there any rubbish was ok for us maybe something about developing skills ie customer service.

Under why he wants to work there any rubbish was ok for us maybe something about developing skills ie customer service.

Great idea! Very many thanks

Any more hints and tips folks? It's been many years since I did an application form:eek: Sure we didn't have them in my day

"Can you add up...can you smile...start tomorrow" Eeee, those were the days:sigh:

Ok, any is quite acceptable, our app forms have that in and I prefer any to 8 till 3 and every other tuesday off!!!!

With regards to why he wants the job.
Wants to develop customer care and people skills.
Wants to identify strengths and ares for improvment within ones self.
Would like to develope life skills, and be taught in a different way to that is given at school.
Being part of a leading supermarket chain will give me chance to develop my skills as I move forward in the adult world, I have a passion for learning new skills and look forward to progressing.

Blah!

Genius Vicky! Cheers. Will get him to rub out "Want the money" :D

Will get him to rub out "Want the money" :D

:D:D:D

Dya know what, Ive seen a ton of forms in my life time, and I reckon the Want the Money would be better than some Ive seen.

Got one the other week written in black pen, then swapped to blue with a note at the bottom saying sorry ink ran out.

Got another with phone number written in crayon on

Got another with an email address of [email protected]

Hmm, at least want the money says to me they are willing to work for it!!

Dya know what, Ive seen a ton of forms in my life time, and I reckon the Want the Money would be better than some Ive seen.

Got one the other week written in black pen, then swapped to blue with a note at the bottom saying sorry ink ran out.

Got another with phone number written in crayon on

Got another with an email address of [email protected]

Hmm, at least want the money says to me they are willing to work for it!!

At least "want the money" is probably the most honest :D

Right...next challenge. Getting DS2 to bring home application form without putting it through a wringer first.

Perhaps a creased up application for is the new 'in thing':confused:

Actually....I think the next challenge is to get DS2 to come home! Busy boy and all that.:rolleyes: Comes home, plays piano, goes to bed, wakes up, plays piano, throws himself around in the back garden...goes out (to do some more 'throwing himself around'). Fantastically fit though :D

Oh no! Thought of another challenge. Revision!!! Must remember to ask him to look it up in the dictionary. Think it's a new word for him as whenever I mention it, he looks at me as if I have 2 heads:confused:

What's happened to all those promises that when it actually came to the GCSEs, he would revise (any test before that was a waste of time in his opinion).

Tut....I need daughters. Daughters generally take it all a little more seriously:rolleyes:

So wrong KD :D

Nah. We were told all about it at school. DS2 goes to a boys school. There was a parents meeting about coursework

Headmaster told us this

Give a girl coursework and she goes home and does it.

Goes into school a few days later and tells friends that coursework has 3 different fonts and 2 colours.

Friends say "but mine has 4 different fonts and 6 colours"

Girl goes home and does 8 different fonts and 12 colours....adds a few more pages, neatens it up, works into the early hours and gets it perfect.

Hands it in a few weeks before the deadline.

Boys: puts coursework details under bed. Night before deadline (if you're lucky), finds it...throws something together on a couple of sheets and hopefully remembers to hand it in.:rolleyes:

He went on to say how difficult boys find coursework and that is probably the reason they general do less well in their GCSEs. Thankfully the government now realise this and are phasing it out? Or at least reducing it.

It's a nightmare.

Just seen this KD :)

How did the application form go in the end? Is it in the post? :D:D:D

Just seen this KD :)

How did the application form go in the end? Is it in the post? :D:D:D

:rolleyes: What do you think:rolleyes:

He's delivering it by hand on Monday, so no need to fill it in until Monday. Read previous message and you'll understand :D

:rolleyes: What do you think:rolleyes:

He's delivering it by hand on Monday, so no need to fill it in until Monday. Read previous message and you'll understand :D

Read the whole thread hun. Say no more.....Son's eh? :rolleyes::confused:

Sounds just like my son Chris, KD. :rolleyes: I think his motto is leave everything until the last second (not minute), then drag heels and moan whilst handing in work, roll eyes at teacher/parent and mumble incoherently. :rolleyes:

Sounds just like my son Chris, KD. :rolleyes: I think his motto is leave everything until the last second (not minute), then drag heels and moan whilst handing in work, roll eyes at teacher/parent and mumble incoherently. :rolleyes:

:D That'll be DS1. This one will do it without moaning, but still at the very last minute. Will then hand in with a smile (albeit later than intended) and give the impression that he enjoyed every minute of it :D He'll go far :D

That's if he remembers to hand it in:rolleyes: It's very likely that he'll walk it up to the shop, get distracted by something to somersault over, then 'bump' into a friend to talk to.

Meanwhile, he'll put the application form down, and then come home without it, completely forgetting that he was supposed to be handing it in.

He'll walk back up to 'where he was sure he left it', because he now remembers it was wrapped around his mobile phone which he also put down (can't be doing without the mobile). Of course, it will be gone. Possibly because it was stolen, but more likely because he's looking in the wrong place, or trying to find it whilst doing a handstand.:confused:

This guy managed to lose his whole school uniform, plus PE kit, shoes, the lot, on the way home from school one day.

That takes some doing. Hugely talented is my lad :rolleyes:

LOL KD, your DS1 is priceless!! Chris is a dream compared to him! :D

DS2 :D DS1 wouldn't lose anything. Doesn't lose anything, doesn't forget anything...and I mean anything!!! (a real weirdo) :D

How did he manage to lose all his kit and caboodle coming home from school?! :D:eek:
Was he summersaulting again? :D
Fraid so. He lost his PE kit at school...the whole kaboodle....so he's lent another from a friend who isn't doing PE at that time. PE finishes at the end of the day and so they are allowed to come home in kit. He goes back to his locker to get school uniform to bring home. Finds his pe kit. So he brings both home (still wearing friends kit)

So he has two bags. One with his own PE kit and one with his school uniform.

Stops on way home to do somersaults, puts bags down. Somersaults his way home leaving both bags on grass.

When he goes back they are gone.

One grey suit:eek:
One white shirt
One tie
school socks
Clarks shoes.
One rugby shirt
One team colours PE shirt
One pair of decent trainers
One pair of football boots
PE shorts
Rugby sweatshirt
Sweatpants
Jacket
Rugby socks

Think that was it. The school suit is about £100. Probably about £3-400 worth of stuff there. I was not amused.

Back