Hi :) 18 year old Male

Lumix

Hi everyone, was on this website yesterday and decided to join, so today I decided to post a bit about myself.

As I said before I’m 18, live in London and I am currently in college doing a BTEC national diploma in business and finance along with a Portuguese A-level. I used to weigh 93 kilograms (205 pounds) then I came down with glandular fever and was on antibiotics for 12 days during that time I went down to 82 kg (180 pounds) 9kg (19 pounds) in 12 days I’d look in the mirror daily just to see how good I looked and put on my jeans w36 and see how much I had actually lost then yesterday I went on the scales again and saw 87kg (191 pounds) and I thought f**k! Time for a diet no way I’m going back.

So here I am.

My target is 70 kg inittially I searched around the internet and saw that 60kg is the ideal weight for my height but since being here I was adviced to go for 70kg so that’s a 17kg (37.5 pounds) drop. Now I’m clueless about a lot of things, alright everything I’m simply clueless.

What would be a realistic time to lose these 17kg?
I hear it’s healthy to lose around 1kg (2 pounds) per week. Meaning that it’ll take me 4 months to shed this… but seeing as I lost 9kg in 12 days meaning I lost 5kg (11 pounds) per week meaning I could lose 27kg in 1 month and a bit but accordingly this would be unhealthy?

What would be the best way to lose 17kg?
I’m thinking about going gym and go on a diet.

Gym:
I’ve been told by a friend that his gym membership costs 16 pounds per month without a contract. Now I know I need to do a lot of cardio such as jogging, running, walking I know this can all be done outside for free but I don’t want people that pass by me to be thinking look at that fat ass trying to lose weight and such so going to the gym I guess people would think at least he’s trying. I know that just going to the gym to run is stupid and eventually your body would adapt to running and stop burning fat so I need to mix it up and since I’m at the gym I guess I could do other exercises such as weights and other stuff. Thinking about this I need to do a plan……… any help?

Diet:
I know zilch about this :D any and all help would be appreciated. I’m thinking low calories because obviously if the body doesn’t get enough calories from food it’ll use my fat stores for energy however I’ve been told if I don’t have enough calories my body will think there’s a “food shortage” and preserve the fat I already have and use it sparingly.
I just don’t know about diets.

Thanks for reading, in short:
What would be the best way to lose 17kg?
What would be a realistic time to lose these 17kg?

Lumix

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. Do you want to do a diet like Slimming World or Weight Watchers? If so you could follow it online, go t a class or buy the books and do it yourself. Or a VLCD (very low calorie diet) like Cambridge, Lighter Life, Lipotrim or Exante?

Have a good look around on here and ask questions

Irene xx

Hi and welcome. Do you want to do a diet like Slimming World or Weight Watchers? If so you could follow it online, go t a class or buy the books and do it yourself. Or a VLCD (very low calorie diet) like Cambridge, Lighter Life, Lipotrim or Exante?

Have a good look around on here and ask questions

Irene xx

like i said i have no clue about diets....

Hi

I'm new here too. No advice about diets I'm afraid, have only ever done Slimming World which is very easy to follow.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

You could just count calories. And since you're a male, and males do tend to lose weight faster, it might not take that much time.

I say just start walking more, it really does help. You don't have to do too much cardio when starting up.

Hi Lumix, Firstly about the gym. Usually you will find that any membership when joining will include an induction which is about an hour and helps you to understand the equipments use but also what it can do for you. So you should be quite okay there.

As for the diet regime having a book to guide you is another way to start up and if you are contemplating calorie counting may I suggest the Collins Pocket book of carbs. which also lists calories, fat and protein of all the various foods. You can get it online and it only costs literally a few pence.

As for the time and amount to lose, as has already been said, you have a great advantage of us women as men can lose their weght twice as fast as a rule.

So go to it and show us what you can do!
One thing is for sure you will FEEL soo much better for getting fit and healthy.

All the very best to you...:)

Keep in mind that the "ideal" weight for your height may not be the weight you actually need to be. BMI calculations do not take into account bone mass, bone density and muscle mass, which are very important! If you have high bone density like myself, that can make a big difference in your weight and you might be really fit but be heavier than the ideal number given for your height. Find out these things about yourself. :)

Good luck and welcome!

I'd agree with the above post. 60kg seems quite low for a guy. I'd set an interim goal first, perhaps 70kg? You could probably do that in 6 wks if you really want to. If you google harris benedict formula, it'll tell you how many calories you need just to be at rest/breathe every day and then you times that by a figure (it gives you different figures to multiply by depending on whether you are active/sedentary etc). Once you have that figure, you can eat 500 cals less than that everyday. At the gym mostly cardio, but a bit of resistance training or weights might be good. Or swimming is an excellent sport where you find people of all sizes. It works all of your body muscles simultaneously (as does rowing apparently) and you don't get all sweaty, and it provides resistance training. Also swimming pool memberships tend to be cheaper than gym ones.

Good luck,

V

hiya,

if you're going to join the gym, maybe you could research HIIT (high intensity interval training) It is amazing at keeping your body in a constant change up..
I used to do Boxing and body building and when i 1st started out HIIT was a life saver! it really helped me tone up, lose calories and stop my body from getting "used" to the exercises in the gym. I did mine on the rowing machine as i find standing up (running) bad for my knees.. and could only manage 5mins on tredmill (which i used as a warm up!)
also with weight lifting, you can build up a great metabolism, tone up and you'll see great benefits from it after just the 1st week.
if your getting a gym membership and plan to go 3-5 days a week, def look into muscle grouping each work out, so you can spend a good time targeting certain muscles which will give you better results!

you will get an induction when you join, so ask the Trainer who gives you the induction what they suggest, as im sure they know everything and anything to do with HIIT & weight training!

Good luck with reaching your target weight!

Natalie
:)

Back