hi everyone - ickle bit long.. sorry..

Hiya everyone, my name is Mands and am here because need a little extra help, advice and support other than from close family. Let me give you a little bit of background.. for the last god knows how long, I've battled my weight, at my lowest 9 years ago - weighing 14st 10lb.. to being my heaviest just after my beloved grandma died in dec 2005 and weighing 25st 3lb :sigh:
In jan 06, I decided after the shock of how bad my weight had become, that serious action was needed so we threw out our fryer and completely changed our eating habits and began swimming more and lazing less. It was very beneficial for us all but unfortunatley for me, I have severe osteoarthritis (which actually started before my weight became such an issue) so my impaired mobility coupled with the weight issues, as you can imagine.. meant my health overall wasn't good. Since then I have managed to drop 5st 6lb under my own steam so to speak - despite being hospitalised due to a different health issue and acquiring a rather large mid-abdominal hernia which hinders the amount of exercise I can due to the size.. and that brings me to now.. :sigh:
here I am.. after seeing hernia surgeon in jan 08 who told me he'd do the op - it would probably kill me, but he'd do it and he then refused and referred me back to gp. I was sent to S.R.H in July 08 to see the man who is hopefully going to give me my life back on May 12th 09 by performing a laprascopic gastric band.. due to the necesary tests etc prior to being given an op date - I also now have Obstructive Sleep Apnoea.. which means I can choke to death because of collapsing throat muscles in my sleep (sorry if that seems extreme but thats it in a nutshell) and need a mask to make sure I have each new day to progress on this journey.. :)

Right now am undergoing the pre-op liver reduction diet and weight is 19st 12lb.. I'm worried, nervous and obviously scared of the unknown so any advice would be good and I thank everyone in advance for any time they spare to drop me a line or 12..lol

Hello and welcome to the best forum in the world. Youll get all the support you need on here. There is loads of info too from people who have had very similar experiences to you. You should check out the surgical weight loss area, loads of inspiring stories in there. Good luck, i look forward to reading of your success.

Hi, thanks for that - will check out the suggested area.. will take a bit of time I suppose to find my way around.. have read Mini's thread and took notice.. hopefully will get chance to pdate on weight before I go in on May 11th.. I gtg S.R.H on 7th for pre-assessment.. one final hoop for me to jump through but usppose we all done that on our journeys to gt to where we are..

Im still trying to jump through the hoops. Hope they agree to surgery one day. been battling fat all my life.

Hi there!

Just wanted to say hello and welcome! In the weight loss surgery forum I'm sure you'll find lots of people who can relate very closely with what you've been and are going through. They'll give you all the support you could want I'm sure.

These boards do go very quiet at night which is why you may only get replies from people on different paths from you own. Nevertheless we all have our own challenges and are basically here for the same reason.

The very best of luck with everything, hope it all goes well. xx

Hi there

I'm just new here to but I wanted to wish you the best of luck on your journey. You've done very well on your own so far and I'm sure your determination will get you through the rest. I'll be thinking of you on May 12 and wishing/willing you well.

M

Hi and welcome. Pleased you have joined us and hope you enjoy your visits. Please have a look at the surgical weight loss section for support

Irene xx

Hi mands and welcome love, good luck and keep us posted.

Back