Hi I'm new...

jillcambridge

Hi there,

Apologies if I have posted this message in the wrong place - its my first post!

My name is Jill and I'm new to CD and Minimins. I am getting married next year, in 8.5 months, and have a lot of weight to lose.

I am awaiting a reply from my consultant about when I can start CD, but in the meantime wanted to ask you some questions...

* Did you have to get a medical letter/check from your doctor prior to starting?

* How much does CD cost you each week? I know each consultant varies, but how much do you spend?

* Is it possible to lose 5 or 6 stone in less than 9 months?

* Is your relationship with your consultant important? Do they offer counselling? Do they offer home visits?

* To someone who is a failure at WW and similar, would you recommend it?

* Is it really hard to stick to? Are you hungry all the time? Do you have enough energy to exercise/run around with the kids?

* How do you find it if you have to prepare meals for other people? How do you deal with this?

* How do you deal with social occasions? How will you tackle Christmas?

Thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate your help.

Xxx

Hi Jill welcome ! I will answer with what I know.

* Did you have to get a medical letter/check from your doctor prior to starting? I think you need to if your BMI is over 40, I could be wrong tho!

* How much does CD cost you each week? I know each consultant varies, but how much do you spend?
Mine is £40 for 21 items, be it shakes, bars, tetras

I lost almost 4 stone in 13 weeks, so yes, it is possible, average a stone a month

* Is your relationship with your consultant important? Do they offer counselling? Do they offer home visits?
Mine does, and yes she is very supportive, like my therapist!

Yes, I have done WW many times, this diet can get you to a good weight BUT you must do maintenace and change your ways or you will return (like me)

* Is it really hard to stick to? Are you hungry all the time? Do you have enough energy to exercise/run around with the kids?
It's hard, days 1 - 4 for me are hell, then it gets a bit easier, you don't alays feel hungry, I do sometimes tho, my diary shows my feelings from day 1 to 84 and is in my sig if you want to read the reality from my point of view!

* How do you find it if you have to prepare meals for other people? How do you deal with this?
After the first week I have no problem cooking !

I am having Xmas off, and I would have anyways, it's one day and the weight can be back off in a week.....the hard bit is re getting into ketosis !

Wishing you well for your journey!

Charley has answered most of the questions fantastically but I'll answer them in my way too so you get a couple of different perspectives :)

* Did you have to get a medical letter/check from your doctor prior to starting? I had to get a signature from my doctor prior to starting because I am asthmatic therefore on medication and my bmi was only just over 30, I think it depends on the plan, your weight, medical concerns etc.

It costs £2 for bars and tetras and £1.80 for shakes and soups from my consultant, mix a mousse is £4.20 which I get because I loooove my mousse! I have it as a dessert after my SS+/810 dinner!

* Is it possible to lose 5 or 6 stone in less than 9 months? As Charley said, average loss is 1 stone a month so in 9 months you could happily expect to be at target :)

* Is your relationship with your consultant important? Do they offer counselling? Do they offer home visits? Not important really to me, I go, see her, have a lovely chat, get my stuff and leave, usually I don't speak to her again until my next appointment but if I did want to speak to her in-between she is available on the phone or if I email her she phones me! She does home visits but I have never bothered.

* To someone who is a failure at WW and similar, would you recommend it? I tried most other diets and this is the only one which has worked for me - I would and have recommended it, I have a few friends who have lost their weight using this diet and seeing my consultant :)

* Is it really hard to stick to? Are you hungry all the time? Do you have enough energy to exercise/run around with the kids? It is BLOODY hard to stick to, but after day 4 when ketosis kicks in it gets easier and then after the first week when you see the weight loss it feels FANTASTIC and makes you want to carry on! I felt I had loads of energy to look after my 3 kids/work 2 jobs etc lol!

* How do you find it if you have to prepare meals for other people? How do you deal with this? I cook for my kids and yes its hard if you want to taste to make sure its right or if you just want to eat what you have cooked for them but I just got on with it and to be honest it isn't too bad after a while you get used to it.

* How do you deal with social occasions? How will you tackle Christmas? I am definitely having Christmas off as I will still be recovering post operatively but I managed to have my son's birthday party whilst on the plan and not deviate even with all the lovely party food! I also went to my friends 40th party and enjoyed the compliments and not the complimentary food lol! (at that point I was 2 1/2 stone down and 1/2 stone off target!)

Good luck with your journey.

xx
Stacey

* Did you have to get a medical letter/check from your doctor prior to starting?
No but some other people might have to if they have heart or diabetes issues etc

£40.60 for 21 shakes and 7 bars

OH YES! Tell yourself that this food is your medicine, its worth the investment

I dont see it as ultra important but I love that she cares about me. If I need her, she is only a text away.

Yes, because with WW and SW, its all food and food triggers gorging now and again

The first three days are not pleasant but you must get that into your mind set. Just as long as you drink water, plenty and often, it will soon kill your food munchy pallette, flush out the toxins and headaches and after week one you will feel FABULOUS

I just say to myself when Im making my familys meals "Im not nicking any of it because if I do, I will gorge and Im not wasting £40 a week for a moment of food on my lips and a lifetime on my hips"

On crimbo day, Im juts having meats, veggies and a bit of gravy. Then back on plan, like I say - Im not wasting £40 a week on putting weight ON and ruining my hard work!

Last time I did it I did because I was doing SS, this time I am doing SS+ and so didn't have to.

It costs me around £40 at the moment, depends on whether you have bars or not as bars are more expensive from my CDC.

The average is a stone a month, so very easily doable....you could be super slim for your wedding day.

I think so, depending on whether you want a lot of support from your CDC or just want her to weigh you. Mine is happy to do whatever I want as has been weighing me twice a week for the first couple of weeks to keep me on track.

Ha ha, I have been a failure at every other diet, was hoping to lose my excess weight by either WW or SW and failed on them both. I know I can do CD as taking food out of the equation is the most helpful for me.

After around 3 times you should rarely be hungry, but craving is another matter.... I am not always hungry but I do crave food which is totally different, one is physical the other mental. Yes last year when I was on CD it was summer and I used to walk miles every weekend, and I can definately run around after the kids.

I am cooking a meal next Wednesday for 20 people, I have already told DH that he will have to taste it when he gets in from work as I wont know if it has enough seasoning etc. I dont even lick my fingers when preparing the children's meals.

This year I hope to be moving up the plans for Christmas. Other social occasions you can have some chicken and small amount of veg, or even prawns or a small omlette, but I used to avoid all eating out so I wouldn't be tempted. It is a short while out of your life.

I definately think you should go for it, you will lose the weight for your wedding and be a beautiful slim bride. You have nothing to lose.

Welcome to the forum, Jill. Your questions have already been answered with the previous posts, so I will just say go for it! Good luck and stay on the forum. The people on here are lovely. :)

Well hello there ;) I have a feeling I may have answered some of these questions to you before but I will do again :p

I did. My CDC said that some do and some don't ask for it but she likes to have medical sign off for people with a very high BMI (I think 40 and over iirc) so I had to get it signed. It cost me 20 quid but I didn't actually go see the dr.

Between 35 and 40 depending on what I buy. If I don't buy many bars, it's less but I love the bars :rolleyes:

Hell yes! I've been going for 5 months ish now and am close to 6 stone. I have had weekends where I've eaten too

I love my CDC, she's awesome and I do think it's important to like your consultant at least. Mine will do home visits but she's a retired lady so LO and I go see her :D

Totally. The thing I love about this diet is that it's simple, eat 3 packs a day, drink a load of water and that's it, now weighing, measuring, wondering if you can/can't have something. (of course I'm only talking about SS)

I don't find it that hard to stick to. I am fed up of it a bit now though and am looking forward to the refeed but I let myself have a bit of food every so often and it's not so bad. I don't exercise, I don't have the energy but I've enough energy for running round after LO

I'm fine with preparing meals but OH has been really good about preparing his and LO's for the most part.

I just eat if I have a special occasion, birthdays and the like. Or even if I feel like having a meal out with OH and LO, I will, I just get straight back on the next day. I'm hoping to be maintaining over xmas so am not going to deprive myself but neither am I going to go mental

HTH ;)

*Did you have to get a medical letter/check from your doctor prior to starting? You have to get a "medical record form" signed if you hae any medical conditions; even if you haven't you may be advised to see your GP if you haven't had a check up in a long time. I got the form signed because I am on medication for depression and have had gallstones in the past. My GP knows me well so I rang him to explain and he let me just drop the form in and he posted it back to me.

* How much does CD cost you each week? I spend €60 a month irrespective of what products I buy.

* Is it possible to lose 5 or 6 stone in less than 9 months? Yes.

* Is your relationship with your consultant important? Do they offer counselling? Do they offer home visits? My relationship with her is crucial to my success on this plan. She is very experienced in behavioural relationships with food so I spend at least an hour with her each visit (I go to her) discussing feelings, strategies etc. However as time goes by I can decided to just get weighed if I want. She is available night or day at the end of the phone and urges me to contact her if I am struggling at all. I trust her wholeheartedly.

* To someone who is a failure at WW and similar, would you recommend it? Yes. When you have a lot of weight to lose it can seem daunting/overwhelming. CD is great because you lose the weight more rapidly than conventional plans so this helps with the motivation. It is also a great learning experience because you have to learn to cope with day to day life without food to reward / console / relieve stress etc. On CD because ketosis removes physical hunger you very quickly realise how often you have "emotional/psychological" hunger. Some can deal with that alone; others need more formal/structured help depending on their underlying issues.

* Is it really hard to stick to? Are you hungry all the time? Do you have enough energy to exercise/run around with the kids? Yes. You have to just decide to do it and then do it. As I said above the psychological hunger is the hardest battle. You soon get used not to having conventional food but your mindset is your biggest tool for this. Believe you can and you will. I'd advise reading thedietguy.co.uk over the next couple of days for some advice/ideas on mindset.

* How do you find it if you have to prepare meals for other people? How do you deal with this? I've had family to lunch and have gone to others for lunch/dinner. I have my soup and think "it's not that I can't have their dinner, I can, I am choosing not to" and it's fine. People are used to me turning up with my blender :D I've not been out to a restaurant yet but am quite prepared to ring in advance if I do and tell them about my "special medical pre-surgery diet" and have them make up a soup for me (a tip from a friend - she said it always worked!).

* How do you deal with social occasions? How will you tackle Christmas? As above. As for xmas I plan to eat the meat and veg but stay away from the junk food.

Thanks so so much for the kind thoughtful replies, I really appreciate it, they are really helpful.

I've been signed off by the doctor today and met my CDC - and am starting on Monday! It can't come soon enough, I'm raring to go!

Thanks again - good luck to you all!

Xxx

Back