hi my names clairand apparently im a bad mother

sumayyah

please try again
took my daughter to her appointments this morning, one of the people to see her was the dietitian, apparently im doing the wrong thing by not feeding her continuously on junk

heres her typical menu ( excuse the rubbish )

brekkie, weetabix

lunch, egg and onion sarnie, cheese, crisps, peach or banana

tea, meat ( chicken, beef, lamb ) and plenty of veg, potato or rice or pasta

supper, choccie buttons

now i thought that was unhealthy enough ( on advice of dietitian the treats were snuck in ) but they want me to swap her tea for chips, fish fingers, smilie faces, burgers etc

is this what the nhs suggest is healthy?

shes always been underweight due to medical conditions and disabilitys BUT she had a really good gain this fortnight, shes gained over a pound ( thats all she gained between the ages of 1 and 2 ) so i thought she had done really well :(

WTF . perhaps the dietician needs to look for a new job .... thats all really bad food and full of saturated fat so when you feed her this and she ends up with heart problems then theyll say your a bad mother !!!
wish my kids would eat the same kind of diet as ur daughter. how old is she ..... my little boy will soon be 4 and he has just grown into age 18-24 month clothes !!!! he is the same size as his little sister and ppl think they are twins ....
maybe speak to your HV and tell them the suggestions from the dietician and see what they say ....
personally i would want their rationale for that and then to see another dietician .....

shes 2 and a half but size 12 - 18 months are too big for her
shes on calogen which is a fat emulsion ( yucky stuff! ) and shes fed bt a gastrostomy tube over night with a high calorie milk
she acctually accused me of being selfish for not having those foods in my house, think shes been talking to my wee girls ccn as she was very down on me for doing cambridge
its not like she never gets things like maccy d's but i want her to view those things as occasional treats not ur main diet
also never seen my health visitor, her and gp view my child as best left to the hospital and home nursing

sorry bout the long rants, the one thing thats gonna get my back up is people who assess my parenting skills when they dont know what my childs like

Awww how annoying for you Claire, that is the most ridiculous nutrition advice i've ever heard off!! There are far more healthy high calorie foods!!!!!

I totally agree-it's mad that they want you to feed her on that crap!!I presume you give her full fat everything already, like butter and milk and yogurts?I can't really think of anything myself-you'd think I would being so overweight but i admit I eat so much crap fast food that it's not what I'd recommend for kids.is she too young for peanut butter?(I gave it to mine from a year old but we have no allergies).Or pate?My lot love chicken pate on sandwiches.Try adding a banana to her weetabix to add some calories.And how about avocado?Will she eat that?Boiled eggs for breakfast?Honey?It's really hard to think of healthy but higher calorie food.

Dear Claire,

I think you give your daughter the good and healthy stuff. She's only 2,5 years old and she probably will gain with her growth. I don't think underweight is an excuse for feeding her fat stuff so she will gain weight! We all know the problem of being overweight and it's not unlikely this problem started in our early youth (so it was in my case).

Claire, follow your own heart........you are her mother and you know what's good for your child. You do very well;)

Hugs
botozi

I'd have a word with your HV, just because she needs more calories shouldn't be a reason to feed her rubbish!

good luck with it, and follow your heart...

at the end of the day if you are peg feeding her overnight then maybe they need to look at changing that regime for a different feed. if they want your daughter to gain the weight , she is eating a great diet from what you feed her.... change the peg feeds !!! there are plenty of the high cal and fat eneteral feeds around . i agree maccy ds is a nice treat and how can afford thoses daily !!!
bloody dieticians ( as a nurse i have never liked them !!!) tell her bollox your diet is your business and not hers. personally i would involve my hv for the best interests of your child .
sounds to me that you are a great mum , just got a crap dietic team !!

Just wanted to add that my friend's daughter has had the same problem all her life-she's 11 now.She has had to be tube fed many times for months on end, and is still underweight.Didn't seem to matter what she actually ate, she never gained much anyway.And she was having loads of crap processed stuff too.

I cant believe youve been advised that, thats shocking!!

Most parents would love their kids to happily eat what youre feeding her. I think youre doing it totally the right way, youll have enough trouble keeping her off that kind of junk when she gets older

thanx for all your kind posts

it just gets to me, my girls been tube fed since the day she was born, it took a long while to get her to eat even a few spponfuls of puree and shes only managed her current diet a few months ago, i thought she was doing amazingly well for all her problems then they go and say things like that

i will be sticking with the meals i have her onto now, i already add cream, cheese and olive oil to them on there advice and i think thats more than enough

not sure if there is a higher cal enteral feed as shes on nutrini energy but will ask them next time shes in to see them

Hi Clair - you are soooo not a bad mother :mad: you are doing a fabulous job and your beautiful daughter is a credit to you !!

keep doin what you're doin - speak to HV and (as someone else suggested) maybe change her tube feed.....

spk soon

love

Debz xx

Well guess I better join the Bad Mummies Club 'cos I have no intention of feeding mine smilie faces and other carp (intended type-o).

I try very hard to give my precious peeps a balanced diet in a world where they are bombarded them with constant junk food adverts and peer pressure.

My little girl thought raisins were sweeties until she started school 'cos thats what we called them. When her friends had sweeties she had her 'sweeties'. I honestly don't think they have missed out.

There are many ways of increasing her calorific intake that don't involve feeding her junk. That's just the easy way.

Well done you for looking after her long term health.

(GotThe TShirt has now hopped off her soap box)

Sorry for rant.

Back