Historical Fiction - Any recommendations?

Im loving historical fiction at the moment, Philippa Gregory, Alison Weir, Christie Dickason,Michelle Moran, im loving her Egyptian books and im just obsessed with Egypt :D

I had this for christmas,and i absolutely loved it!!

cazzym78 said:
Have you tried the matthew Shardlake series by C J Samson, my dad got me hooked on these and I love them

These are fabulous. Very well written and evocative - you can almost smell old England, plus you get a murder mystery thrown in for good measure.

Not sure what the definition of historical is but there's James A. Mitchener for American historical novels - Chesapeake, Centennial etc - good storytelling in my view. Also for the Far East there's James Clavell - Tai Pan, Noble House, Sho Gun, Gai Jin etc. I was brought up in the far east and these are good reads.

Though these are probably more plot than place focused if that makes sense.

Also there is Edward Rutherford his must count as historical, if you enjoyed Ken Follet you'll love him - amongst others, Sarum all about the building of Salisbury Cathedral.

James Clavell's Shogun is up there in my all time favorite book list..... I'd also recommend Lindsey Davis' The Course of Honour and Falco novels (detective novel set in Ancient Rome during the Flavian dynasty), Conn Iggulden's Conqueror books are amazing (these are the Genghis Khan books) and his Emperor books are great too (based on Julius Ceasar).

If you like historical fiction set in ancient Rome, Robert Harris' books are pretty good. I think it's three he's written set in Rome: Pompeii (about the eruption, naturally), and Imperium & Lustrum - which are the first two books in a trilogy of novels about Cicero. The third in that series hasn't come out yet.
His wartime books are pretty decent too. Enigma is about Bletchly Park, and Fatherland is perhaps the quitessential alternate history book set in a world where Germany won the war.

I've been wanting to read Robert Harris books for a while as I have one on audio book and really enjoyed it, right now I'm storming through George R.R. Martin's Song if Ice and Fire books (Game of Thrones etc), I'm on book 3 part 2, so not that far to go... may give Mr Harris a go :D

Robert Harris is well worth a read, especially if you've enjoyed one already. I do find his Cicero ones are his best work, although I do have a great love and romanticism about ancient Rome so I'm probably a bit biased there.

Hoping to read Games of Thrones series soon...I'm on the waiting list for our copy at work, but everyone is requesting it at the library now after the TV series came out so a bit of a wait.

I've been wanting to read Robert Harris books for a while as I have one on audio book and really enjoyed it, right now I'm storming through George R.R. Martin's Song if Ice and Fire books (Game of Thrones etc), I'm on book 3 part 2, so not that far to go... may give Mr Harris a go :D

Ive been watching this on Atlantic, and it's really good...although i still don't know whats going on lol!

I bought the book the other day :)

Lou x

If you like Philippa Gregory you should like Elizabeth Chadwick, I have them all and they've been read and re-read! I was the 1st person in Waterstones (Kingston) to buy her latest book, "The Lady of the English" about Matilda ( mother of Henry II) very good.
As someone has previously said Alison Weir, C J Sansome. I'm also reading George RR Martin's epic tale (Game of Thrones) hoping to finish book one before the next episode on tv (I'm tired of being bhind lol). I stormed through a roman series by Simon Scarrow.

Try for the older writers - Katherine by ANYA SETON is truly spellbinding. I have bought 8 copies because I leant out 7 of them and never saw them again. Her other books are good too. Also for a little Regency try Georgette Heyer.

Back