Holiday Pics, Charentes-Maritimes July '11

Jim

Big Boy
Here's some holiday snaps

Marennes Cathedral, inside and the view from the spire, 228 steps and boy was I hot :)

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

The river Sudre, our cottage was in Nieulle-sur-sudre

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

The hire car, it always feels so strange driving a left hooker :)

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

The village high street

IMG_1061.jpg

The harbour at Marennes

IMG_1065.jpg

Fishermens huts and nets, they scoop the fish when the tide comes in, as thats when the fish come in to eat.

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

The light house at ST Dennis on the isle D'Oleron

IMG_1070.jpg

The Bastille day Fete at our village.

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

An old walled village, hieroux-drakse

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

A sheer drop off the walls, no barrier or anything, talk about health & safety

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

Anyone identify this bush? Colleen can't and she knows most

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

That's it folks

Last edited:
Very friendly leanne, I suspect that's because where we stayed is not a tourist place

No Lisa, we are looking at the Perpignan area, further south, having said that, Colleen has decided she really liked Malta, mainly I suspect because of the language, we both have basic French, Colleen a lot more than me, but Malta' official language is English, taht and having relatives over there are big plusses we feel

Hey Jim,

It looks like a wonderful holiday! Where precisely is this village?

I think the bush might be a variety of sumac bush: File:Sumac bob 3568.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It produces a very sour fruit which is used in Middle Eastern cuisine. Be careful before consumption, though, as some kinds are poisonous.

Hope this helps!

SL x

OH, and I think you are spot on it looks like a sumac to me seeing that link, thanks

Lovely pics Jim - you look very relaxed :) And I love the car that Mickey and Minnie are in - looks like a Kharmann Ghia, my favourite classic car.

Think the idea of retiring to Malta sounds wonderful - great shopping, lovely scenery, pretty mild climate - and you can be in Sicily by hovercraft in three hours :)

Such stunning photos Jim!! Thank you for posting them ... Haven't had a hol in years ... Feel like I need one now though! Lol :)

Fab pictures Jim - particularly like the harbour and boat ones:)
Xx

It is a lovely part of France, very rural,, big on shellfish which I enjoyed, the weather can be chancy though, it's on the Atlantic coast after all, we had a lovely sunny week, but the day we left it stormed all night and it was still raining when we left.

fab pictures Jim.
found the one with the ship hanging in the air in the church
interesting,
was there any particular reason for that. ?
and i think my mum has a plant like that in her garden,its
more like a tree,but very invasive.

Lainey,

The church has the remains of the local patron saint for seamen and fishermen love

LOL, I doubt if the remains of the Saint are actually real mind :D

Gorgeous photos Jim, looks lovely there! Got me pining for a holiday now, lol. Think I'm just going to have lots of short weekend breaks this year, as got loads of weddings and family / friends events to go to.

I love Malta! And yeah, it's good to be somewhere where they speak English - I am so lazy when it comes to languages, and have no natural ability.

Hi Emms, I agree love, it's so much easier to speak English, I'd be ashamed of that if I didn't speak fluent German and a teeny bit of Danish. Oh and I can swear in Gurkhali and Kiswahile, courtesy of an Army Childhood. ;)

Haha, I've never heard of those two languages (that's how uneducated I am), love that you can swear in them!

I did do GCSE french and german at school, but sadly that was a long, long time ago so most of it's now left my brain :sigh: That's the problem when you don't use them....

Back