Horizon:why are thin people not fat?

I've just turned it over to watch it.

;)

Yep, I'm watching. It's BBC2 actually. All that eating is making me hungry though.

And here we go again about obesity being catching. Isn't there enough fat discrimination without the threat of being treated like lepers just in case you infect someone with fatness.

I didn't get any negative vibes from the programme at all..... suppose it depends how you were watching it. I found it very interesting, just wish I was one of those thin people!!

I didn't get any negative vibes from the programme at all..... suppose it depends how you were watching it.

Yes, I agree. I was looking at it from a maintainers perspective. Glad they didn't spend much time talking about the virus component as that is such old news :D

The programme did confirm a lot of what I've been researching over the last couple of years about leptin levels, though it didn't go into as much detail as I would have liked.

I did feel slightly sick with fear at the end, knowing that my body will always try to get back to it's former weight, but I knew that before, so no idea why it bothered me :confused:

Still, knowledge is good. Helps us understand what is going on, so we can find the right tools to help :)

Oh, loved the bit about how skinny people just aren't attracted to food when they have had enough. Have always said that. Personally, I could eat double my calorie allowance with no problem at all. No sensation of full. I can keep eating forever if I chose.

Oh, loved the bit about how skinny people just aren't attracted to food when they have had enough. Have always said that. Personally, I could eat double my calorie allowance with no problem at all. No sensation of full. I can keep eating forever if I chose.

THIS is what I have decided I need to try to fool my brain into thinking...... (wish me luck :D)

THIS is what I have decided I need to try to fool my brain into thinking...... (wish me luck :D)

Good luck :D

BTW, there's much talk of this programme across the boards. Would love to merge them all, but know people like to stick to their own forums (fair enough). Interesting for me reading replies though, as finding out about all this has been my 'hobby' for the last couple of years :)

Good luck :D

BTW, there's much talk of this programme across the boards. Would love to merge them all, but know people like to stick to their own forums (fair enough).

Yeah I thought that might happen but decided to make one here as well! I loved it, the bit with the toddlers was really intriguing - how some just were not bothered, angry even, by the biscuits when they were already full! Has inspired me to try as naturally as possible (bit of an oxymoron but yo know what i mean) to become one of those people! ;)

Yeah I thought that might happen but decided to make one here as well! I loved it, the bit with the toddlers was really intriguing - how some just were not bothered, angry even, by the biscuits when they were already full! Has inspired me to try as naturally as possible (bit of an oxymoron but yo know what i mean) to become one of those people! ;)

That's it. I didn't want to follow dieters after I got to goal, I wanted to emulate the skinnies and learn how they did it.

Sorry... what was this programme about exactly? (My excuse: I live in France)
My Dad mentioned something about it (but he's useless). It's his "excuse" for stopping dieting whatever it is.

Sorry... what was this programme about exactly? (My excuse: I live in France)
My Dad mentioned something about it (but he's useless). It's his "excuse" for stopping dieting whatever it is.
Ok apologies if this is not very concise:
The main skeleton of the programme was taking I think 10 volunteers who are, and have always been, naturally slim and doubling their calorie intake for one month in order to see how those who effortlesly keep excess weight off deal with and recover from gaining weight. It was really interesting hearing them talking about food, one of the women told how at a party or a wedding even though she really really wants to have a desert after the main meal she literally can't ahave more than a mouthfull. What was quite clear was that they just didn't link any emotion to food and just used it for fuel, even though they still enjoyed it they were very in tune with their bodies and the messages sent to them when they were full.
In the end, none of them put on more than 15% of their body weight (which would have been too much and resulted in them being taken off the experiment) and within another month they had all gone back to roughly their initial weight without trying especially hard to do so.

It also looked at genetic reasons why some people are overweight, to do with hormones but I think this side is much better explained on this thread:

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/75203-why-thin-people-not-fat.html

& here is another link about it
Horizon – Why Are Thin People Not Fat? @ Unreality Primetime

xx

You can watch it on ~BBCi player. Just watched it now, thought it was very interesting.

The part about the nursery children was very relevant to me, as I have a daughter who is soo like me, at 18months she would stand beside the fridge and cry and cry for ages. Now at 7 she is a little overweight and constantly asks for food. I really feel it is as much nature as nuture.

Depresses me a bit to think my body will always want to be this weight, and the fat cells will never disappear...

The only thing that conflicts with that is I was 10st for many years and obviously my body thought that was my correct weight, now at 14st it thinks that is, so surely it could 're-learn' to be 10st again??

The only thing that conflicts with that is I was 10st for many years and obviously my body thought that was my correct weight, now at 14st it thinks that is, so surely it could 're-learn' to be 10st again??

Yes, it is thought that you can lower your setpoint. If you search on google you'll find all sorts of weird ideas "buy our rudiosudio tea to lower your set point" ;), but I doubt it works :D (BTW, don't try searching rudiosudio tea, cos I made that up) :D

The majority of researchers say it can be lowered by moderate aerobic exercise and staying at the new weight for a few years.

Bad news is that your set point goes up as you get older, good news is that it wont be so high as it was if you didn't maintain your weight.

Interestingly, there is supposed to be a way of losing weight and resetting the setpoint. This theory comes from the director of nutrition at Harvard Uni. He says that you should only lose 10% of your weight over a period of 6 months, then spend 6 months maintaining, followed by slowly losing another 10% etc.

They're a lot of clever clogs at Harvard, so he's probably right:rolleyes: I just couldn't do that though. It was way too slow and my health was at too much of a risk anyway.

BTW, after pregnancy there are hormones that will lower your setpoint (probably back to pre-pregnancy weight...not sure on that), but they say if you lose the pregnancy weight within 6 months after the birth, your setpoint will go down. Leave it for much longer and you'll have a problem :(

Yes, it is thought that you can lower your setpoint. If you search on google you'll find all sorts of weird ideas "buy our rudiosudio tea to lower your set point" ;), but I doubt it works :D (BTW, don't try searching rudiosudio tea, cos I made that up) :D

The majority of researchers say it can be lowered by moderate aerobic exercise and staying at the new weight for a few years.

Bad news is that your set point goes up as you get older, good news is that it wont be so high as it was if you didn't maintain your weight.

Interestingly, there is supposed to be a way of losing weight and resetting the setpoint. This theory comes from the director of nutrition at Harvard Uni. He says that you should only lose 10% of your weight over a period of 6 months, then spend 6 months maintaining, followed by slowly losing another 10% etc.

They're a lot of clever clogs at Harvard, so he's probably right:rolleyes: I just couldn't do that though. It was way too slow and my health was at too much of a risk anyway.

BTW, after pregnancy there are hormones that will lower your setpoint (probably back to pre-pregnancy weight...not sure on that), but they say if you lose the pregnancy weight within 6 months after the birth, your setpoint will go down:clap: Leave it for much longer and you'll have a problem :(

Back