How big were you when you conceived???

I am currently trying to lose weight before i ttc but i was wondering how much people weighed when they got pregnant. i know you should be a healthy weight before you get pregnant and such but i dont know if i can wait that long or if i want to lose that much weight. for me to have a healthy BMI i would need to lose 11 stone and that really is a lot of weight. i do want to lose some weight but im just wonderling how much others weighed when they got pregnant to give me an idea of when i might be able to start trying. thanks in advance.
Erin xxx

I have heard women say that even though they were TTC, they did not conceive until they lost weight. One friend conceived once she got to BMI 30, though I am sure this will vary from person to person. Remember that the more weight you lose, the higher the chance of an easier and problem free pregnancy. However, this does not mean you should put it off forever - I would set myself a timelimit (e.g. 6 months, one year...) and try to get as fit as possible and then start TTC. You can continue trying to lose weight whilst TTC and then when you are pg you can manage your weighgain following a healthy diet (e.g. Slimming World). You could also talk to your GP and see what s/he thinks.

Good luck!

i had my baby girl 9 months ago. she wasnt planned, a nice suprise lets say. i was around 22 stone and i went up to around 24 stone (the wii wouldnt weigh me cause i was too heavy maximum weight was 23 stone. 8lb) and my bmi was 50. i wasnt known as hayley it was oh wheres the lady with the bmi of 50. i didnt have any complications untill i seriously over did it moving the house around and decorating the nursery, i had high blood pressure. from then on i had to be monitored every 2 weeks incase i had pre eclampsia. i had my bloods done, water tested and blood pressure done every 2 weeks and then i was scanned to make sure baby was fine and growing every 2 weeks. after that i got carpel tunnel syndrome, spd and was on bp medication untill about 4 months ago wether those other things were related to my weight i dont know but if i had to do it again i would choose to loose weight first my pregnancy was horendous. there are a lot of risks relating to being over weight and pregnant, the biggest being what if you need to have an emergency c section would they be able to give you the spinal? if something bad happened would they be able to intubate you? these are all serious risks and ones to take into account when deciding to have a baby do some research on the net and weigh up the pros and cons before deciding what to do. i was lucky i didnt have any serious complications but having said that it could have been alot worse. i agree with what annev said try and bring you weight down a bit first and see how you go. good luck with everything xx

Check out the "I gotta lose weight... I want a baby" thread as well. :)

Hello, im expecting my third and i am 18 stone eek and was around the same when i xconcieved my last baby too, they say lose weight cos it affects your periods, not your ability to get pregnant. I recommend losing the weight though before or as much as you can. I know already im going to have a tough tine being heavy.

I was 17st 7 when i fell preg. I put on 1st 4lb while preg. But 1 month on im 1st 3 less than i was when i fell preg which im thrilled about.

i don't know how much i weighed when i got pg but i do know that at my first mw appointment at around 10 weeks i had been eating carbs until they came out of my ears as this was the only way for me to stop being sick and i was 16st. so i'm guessing i was between 15 and 15st 7... lost loads of weight on cd for my wedding but now of course will have it all to lose again *sigh*...

i was 18 stone when i got pregnant and they had me attend the nurse every week from 13 weeks as they were worried i would develop pre eclampsia ( i didnt but then i gave birth at 25 weeks, completly unrelated to my weight )

Hiya, not had a baby yet but am going through similar situation to you. Desperate to have a baby but both OH and I are trying to lose weight before we get really serious about it. I too have a fair bit to lose. I think I would need to get to about 12 and a half stone to be a healthy weight for my height and I'm now 20 stone (have lost 12lb since Christmas). It seems like such a massive amount. I have had a look around the internet and read that it would be recommended to be less than 17 stone so that is going to be where I start trying seriously. Then I can carry on with the weight loss while ttc. Good luck with your loss, what diet are you following?

I was roughly 19st1 when I conceived and weren't even trying, last thing on my mind as hubby and I were living apart at the time. As at last Monday I weighed 18st2.

My BMI is 48 and am really desperate to conceive #1. My periods are practically non existent so am starting the Cambridge Diet soon which will hopefully bring them back.

I know how you feel. This is why I am so desperate and planning to do the CD as I need this weight off asap, I don't want to wait two years to ttc :(

I was 19st when i fell preg with my eldest daughter
20 st when i fell preg with my middle daughter
21 st when i fell preg with my youngest daughter

I had no problems with any of the pregnancies and labours, i did have aches, but who doesn't lol. My babies were 9lb 4oz, 10lb 9oz & 9lb 9oz so not exactly huge, but not small (i am mentioning it, because there is chances of having a bigger baby if your heavier i believe, also a much higher chance of having gestational diabetes, which increase that chance to, thankfully i never had that).

I do plan to get to 19 stone if we do manage to have a 4th little one, ideally much less than 19 stone.

Good luck to all ttc!!!! xx

I was 15 1/2 stone when I fell pregnant having lost almost 6 stone in the 4 months prior to conceiving thanks to the Cambridge Diet. I wouldn't have conceived if I hadn't lost weight and although getting pregnant was the main reason I dieted in the first place if i had to do it again I'd lose another 2 stone before conceiving.

I am currently trying to lose weight before i ttc but i was wondering how much people weighed when they got pregnant. i know you should be a healthy weight before you get pregnant and such but i dont know if i can wait that long or if i want to lose that much weight. for me to have a healthy BMI i would need to lose 11 stone and that really is a lot of weight. i do want to lose some weight but im just wonderling how much others weighed when they got pregnant to give me an idea of when i might be able to start trying. thanks in advance.
Erin xxx

Hi,
I'm about the same height and weight as you and we've been ttc for a while now. The doctors said i have weight related infertility which basically means until i've lot weight they won't investigate, which is nice of them. I do worry about having a baby at this size, i have asthma and joints probs so moving isn't the easiest thing in the world already. Having said that a friend of mine was in my exact position and actually lost weight during her pregnancy. She was constantly checked by her midwife and baby was born a healthy 7lbs. She weighed the same at 9months pregnant as when she concieved.

I've another 'cd baby' to show off ;) so can recommend it. The diet is great too - I lost 2 and a half stone - gained half a stone before I found out I was pregnant and sadly have gained the rest during pregnancy but I ate EVERYTHING i wanted.. it wasn't the diet to blame it was my weak will! lol

But to answer your question I was just under 13 stone when I fell pregnant.

Hi i was 14 11 when i went to my booking in appointment but that was before the sickness had set in and i was REALLY hungry so i guess i was about 14 7. Im now 12+ weeks in and ive actually lost weight im now 14 2 due to feeling sick and healthy eating...when i manage to get it down lol.

Oh my baby is a Lipotrim baby :) xx

I was on cd too when I found out I was pg! I'd lost 4 stone taking me to 12st 4 and am hoping to have put 2 stone on only by the end of the pg!

Back