How do you find the motivation/willpower?

Missy Fatpants

Hiya all...

Well in the last year i have joined SW twice....and both times failed miserably! Im now weighing more then i did last year and i feel awful. I suffer with so much pain in my knees as i have got arthritis, i hate the way i look, i hate not been able to run round with the kids, i've constantly got no energy, even to do simple things like clean up!

In my mind there is so much motivation, i know exactly what i need to do/want to do but when it actually comes to it, i just cant be bothered! I really need to get myself out of this mindset.

I do a meal plan every week, then end up either having a takeaway or just sticking someting really easy in the oven because i just cant be bothered to stand and cook.

I hate been like this.....the worst thing is my son, who is 9, now weighs 9stone 3lbs :( and i know it will only get worse as he has picked up my bad habits, my 2 girls are both stick thin but i feel so guilty about my sons weight.

how do i get out of this mindset and make it work for me and my family....I don't want to give up again! I'm considering starting at group again tomorrow night, but while im feeling like this i just know i will fail!

So sorry for such a long rant x

actually looking at my ticker from last year im now the same weight still as when i started last year, so maybe not quite as bad as i 1st thought!

You know... we all have those moments where we say "to hell with this, I want a chinese!!!" But in all honesty, you CAN have one. You just have to make better choices.
I don't bother with meal plans, as I feel too restricted then. I do have a rough idea of what I'd like to have for my dinners during the week and buy in those ingredients, but I don't get up thinking, "right it says here I'm to have stir-fry for dinner so I better have that". If I was to do that, I'd soon find that I'm not in the mood for stir-fry and order takeout instead.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Planning works for some people, for others it feels too restrictive. Just make sure you have plenty of the right kinds of foods in stock, and you can't go far wrong. Today for example, I had a mugshot and bowl of soup for lunch, when I was originally thinking of chicken and veg rice yesterday.

As for motivation... we can badger you and bully you and joke and cajole with you, but we can't make you do it. You have to do that yourself. I know it's hard, and some days you are going to wonder what the point is...but you'll soon find that after a week or two it's second nature, and after that you won't even have to think about it at all.

Good luck x

I do a rough plan of what I think we will be having in the week but it is very flexible as you don't always feel like having what you have got planned, time may be short etc!

I only ever aim for one meal at a time and don't tend to plan any further than that. If I stuff up then I have only stuffed up one meal not an entire day. I always build in one meal out / take out in the week to make sure I don't feel too hard done by being on a diet.

You can do this, if you want it enough then anything is possible x

If the problem is you can't be bothered cooking, i have found a fair few lazy healthy options hehe

I love sticking jacket potato in oven just before i go on school run, and they ready not long after getting in. Add salad and tuna, or beans etc and you have a meal

Or what about cooking pork loin or chicken in the oven with sw wedges? Nice and quick, parboil some wedges made from jacket pots and season/spice, spray with frylite and chuck in oven.

Another quick one is cous cous, add onion, cucumber and tomato to it, serve with any lean meat cooked in the oven again, no messing around

Those are a few of my quicky ones but if you do want a takeaway, have boiled rice and beef or chicken with mushrooms, not too many syns in that and still a treat

Hope you manage to stick to it this time, do it for you and your family. I am determined this time as i have had pain in my feet and joints, and it was weight related as has gone since i lost almost a stone and a half!

I am also so happy to know my children will eat more healthily as i know this contributed to me being obese since being about 10 and i have found it so hard to change as an adult, its much easier to change whilst young.

Good luck
xx

If you have so much motivation in your mind then its not the motivation you have the issue with. If you WANT to do it you WILL do it, there is something somewhere going "well i want to do it for this reason, but what the hell, i won't bother" It took nothing more than being given tablets and wanting more than anything to get off them so i'll no longer get depressive moods to give me the motivation to do SW, even when I've had a day there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to get back on track. So I don't think needing the motivation is your issue, if you hate the way you look like you say, and everything else then you would have enough motivation to change your life, I think they're is some other factor that is effecting your decision to start dieting, that might be me overanalysing and sounding insensitive but thats me :)

If you want it, you will do it :) Good luck :)

Your head & heart have to be in it sweetheart, that's the most important thing. I've never stuck at anything for more than a fortnight, but this I find I can. For me it helps that my partner is a coking fan – I could never be bothered on my own but since we moved in together it’s much easier if he does it, or I do part of the meal. Basically the motivation comes naturally with following the plan and seeing the weight come off – nothing feels better than knowing how much I’m helping myself to live a fuller life

I find the motivation everyday when i look at my 2 girls & hubby and think i want to be here to see them grow up, get married, have kids or just whatever their life plan is. I also want to grow old with my hubby.
That itself is enough motivation for me.
Like previousely said you either want to do it or you dont. I want to and i will.
Amy x

I find that when im feeling lazy and can't be bothered, a bit of exercise and a good sweat gets me back in the mindset of 'I CAN do this' . Exercise gives me so much energy and clears the Head. You can do this. Everything is hard work but it's so worth it. And you can either stay unhappy with your weight and down. Or feel sooo happy with what you've achieved that you never want to turn back! You go for it!!! :-D

Im the laziest sw bod when comes to food. Always have frozen stir fry veg for quick meals with 5 min noodles. I have Chinese once a week usually chicken in black bean with boiled rice. I would start by making small changes like healthier take away choices. Make pitta pizza instead of ordering pizza. If you want chocs have Alpen light bars.

Also prep your meals straight after brekkie when your not feeling so tired. That way you can just pop food on to cook at teatime. Slow cookers are fab as is frozen stuff you can just bung in the even. Sw have a great book that lists branded food that needs little or no prep

-I look at people I want to be like. If they can be a size 10- why can't I?

-Im 19...never had a boyfriend, and well, you get the idea. Thats motivation enough.

-If I continue as I am i will probably die before i'm 40, and will probably never have children. That again, is motivation enough.

We all have these feelings, you wouldn't be human if you didn't

At the end of the day- do you want that chocolate bar more, or do you want the reasons for losing weight more? Only you can answer that, nobody can do it for you! x

Back