How many syns should I have each day

Ruby8

I am pretty new to the slimming world diet (first week in fact) and I am not sure how many syns per day I should be having. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance :)

I only have my books that are around 3 years old but I'm sure it was something between 5-15 syns a day depending on how active you are, I try to have less than 10 even though I'm pretty active as I'm hoping this will give me a better chance to lose more weight. I would be interested to know a more recent answer as I'm going to be doing slimming world alone (without a group) x

it's still upto 15 syns, having less won't mean you have better losses, lots of people find the more you have the more you lose.

I had to reduce mine from 15 to 10 a day cos I STS at weigh-in for 3 weeks on the trott. It did the trick but once I got to target I vary between 10 & 15 - depending on what I fancy.
If you start off having too few syns, you won't have much of an opportunity to drop a few (if necessary) before you really start to feel as though you're missing out on treats & possibly get demoralized.

.... but does it depend on how heavy you are and how much you have to lose? I want to shift half a stone, so do I go up to 5 or can I go as far as 10? xx

You can go upto 15 thats why it states 15.... if you are close to the end of your journey and your weight loss starts to plateau then your C may suggest dropping syns

I am only two days into my SW diet and had only 6-7 syns on my first day then 4 so far today, but im getting notions in between for snacks and was worried if I had any more syns I wouldn't loose the weight. I only approx 1 stone in total to get off. Is there any syn free / low syn cereal bars or similar I could munch on in between meals ?

Forgot to mention that I am only 10st 3lbs to start with but would ideally like to lose 1 stone if that helps xx

I am only two days into my SW diet and had only 6-7 syns on my first day then 4 so far today, but im getting notions in between for snacks and was worried if I had any more syns I wouldn't loose the weight. I only approx 1 stone in total to get off. Is there any syn free / low syn cereal bars or similar I could munch on in between meals ?
--------------

Depends if you have used your HEB(Healthy Extra B) yet. A SW cereal bar can be used if you haven't, otherwise you have to count it as a syn, like every other such bar that I know of

Ruby, I'm the same as you - I just need to drop a few pounds and therefore think that if (ie) somebody is a lot heavier and is allowed the maximum 15 syns, then surely you and I would not be, and if that's the case, I wonder what our allowance actually IS (ie) 5, 10, 15 or anything in between???

As far as I am aware, you should have between 5-15 syns per day REGARDLESS of what your start weight is.

It doesn't say anywhere in my book (which I got brand new in January) that the syn allowance depends on your weight, and my consultant has never mentioned anything on the subject either.

The whole point of the syns is so you can have foods/drinks that you ENJOY that are not free to ensure you have satisfaction with your diet and therefore means you are less likely to completely go off-plan.

Remember if you look at it calorie-wise (And I know SW isn't about calorie counting) but the full 15 syns equals 300 calories, and based on an average person's daily calorie allowance being 2000 per day (depending on variables) then the entire syn allowance only makes up 15% of that.

I personally think that it varies from person to person and you should have your full 15 in the first few weeks, and in the event that you are unhappy with your losses, you can then take a look at how the plan is working for you and how it may need to be tweaked.

And if the losses aren't what you would envisage, the syns are not always to blame. It could be, for example, that you are doing EE and not having enough superfree, having unreasonably large portions, etc. That's why in my opinion it's important to keep a diary so you and your consultant can work together to ensure the balance is right for you.

well said by lolacola

SW doesnt restrict if you have less to lose, thats WW!!
It says 16 per day because you can have 15 per day and still lose weight

Thank you all, I will maybe try to have up to 10 syns per day when I wish to, and if I don't some days then even better but I really don't want to deprive myself otherwise I will crash and burn as I have done so in the past. If no weight loss after the first week or two then ill maybe drop down a few syns.

And Lolacola......now that you have put in black & white for me, that it is only 15% of our daily calorie allowance, I feel so much better now in using up more syns. Thanks

Can anyone help with how many syns are in Hovis wholemeal medium slice bread ? I am on the EE plan and have already used my healthy extra 'B' today by having a bowl of branflakes for brekkie but I plan to have the bread for my lunch along with some scramled egg and lean bacon. Thanks xx

Back