How overweight do you have to be to get GP referreal to SW ??

Unfortunately it's not only determined by your weight, it also depends where you live as some parts of the UK don't do it. Here is South Wales they don't :(

I live in Essex ,
I could do with it as im waiting for an op on my spine , my BMI is just over 30 , mind you I havent weighed in yet , this week

Not sure what the exact criteria is and it probably varies in different health authority areas.

I was quite upset when my nurse told me I qualified for the vouchers - on the other hand I've saved about £120 so cant complain too much.

When I started I was around 13 stone and I'm 5 foot 4 - thats aBMI of around 31 which I think is at the top end of overweight/bottom end of obese on the graph.

Might be an indication but its worth asking your GP or the reception staff anyway.

It's disgraceful! I'm unemployed so had to give up going to group after I finally found a diet that worked for me, I've obviously shown I have the determination so it wouldn't be a waste of money but because of where I live I can't get the same free 12 weeks at group as someone who lives somewhere else. Grrrrr!
I hope you do though, check with your doctors surgery.

It's disgraceful! I'm unemployed so had to give up going to group after I finally found a diet that worked for me, I've obviously shown I have the determination so it wouldn't be a waste of money but because of where I live I can't get the same free 12 weeks at group as someone who lives somewhere else. Grrrrr!
I hope you do though, check with your doctors surgery.

This is where the current system really really annoys me. Why should someone get free classes when they can more than afford to pay but happen to live in the 'right area' and someone who cant afford gets no help. There should be a fairer system for the vouchers

This is where the current system really really annoys me. Why should someone get free classes when they can more than afford to pay but happen to live in the 'right area' and someone who cant afford gets no help. There should be a fairer system for the vouchers

There seems to be many problems with the vouchers but I think they give people the vouchers even if they could afford the classes themself because the plan might not actually work for them and it's also a sort of test to see how determined they really are and not just a way of getting in for free??

Well , Ive been off work for a year waiting for the op and have put on weight as not being as mobile as i could be !!
I cant afford to go , which is why im doing it at home , but i do miss the class support ,
mind you , im not massively overweight , i do have a couple of stone to lose .

Well , Ive been off work for a year waiting for the op and have put on weight as not being as mobile as i could be !!
I cant afford to go , which is why im doing it at home , but i do miss the class support ,
mind you , im not massively overweight , i do have a couple of stone to lose .

If it's available in your area I can't see why they would refuse you the vouchers hun!

There seems to be many problems with the vouchers but I think they give people the vouchers even if they could afford the classes themself because the plan might not actually work for them and it's also a sort of test to see how determined they really are and not just a way of getting in for free??

I respectfully disagree. Why should the NHS waste their precious funds on people who can afford it? There is a limited budget. IMO the vouchers should be income based.

I respectfully disagree. Why should the NHS waste their precious funds on people who can afford it? There is a limited budget. IMO the vouchers should be income based.

They are already doing this tho hun, I didn't mean I agreed with it I was just saying that that's why I think the vouchers aren't income based. Personally I think they should be offered to everyone in all areas and income based - but I suspect the income requirements would knock out a lot of people who couldn't actually afford it, but earned enough money in the eyes of NHS/government.

hiya, i have just phoned my health centre and the receptionist said she has never heard of the scheme, so i asked her to get the nurse practitioner to phone me,

I see your point; however, where do you stop? Do you start means-testing other NHS services? Should someone who can afford an operation have to pay for it as opposed to having the operation done under the NHS? Services such as helping smokers stop are available at all surgeries and are not mean-tested which some may argue is akin to support being offered to people wanting to lose weight.

Whether or not we all agree about the availability of the vouchers, they are available and provide a good incentive to people to try and lose weight. As you correctly point out, the NHS is stretched already; however, when you balance £60 against the cost of obesity related diseases ( I think) its a bargain.

(Please don't flame me - just giving another perspective on the issue ...) x

They are already doing this tho hun, I didn't mean I agreed with it I was just saying that that's why I think the vouchers aren't income based. Personally I think they should be offered to everyone in all areas and income based - but I suspect the income requirements would knock out a lot of people who couldn't actually afford it, but earned enough money in the eyes of NHS/government.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. I see what you're saying now and I agree.

I see your point; however, where do you stop? Do you start means-testing other NHS services? Should someone who can afford an operation have to pay for it as opposed to having the operation done under the NHS? x

Why not have it the way its always been for prescriptions... if youre a student, pensioner, unemployed on benefits etc you get them free, theres nothing to stop them doing the same for vouchers.

Many people who CAN afford to pay for operations do so, by going private. difference between your average person paying for an operation and paying for SW classes is for most people a weekly class fee isnt out with their capabilities. It just really annoys me when people say 'Why shouldnt I get it free' actually 'Why should you?'

I'm hoping the last line of your post was not referring to me ... ;) I also dislike like the culture of "I'm entitled" - I hear that phrase on a daily basis in my line of work and it always irks me.

My post was merely addressing an issue raised by another member about the "NHS wasting precious funds on people who can afford it"

I think we will have to agree to differ on this issue ... Personally, I think the scheme is positive, regardless of any restrictions they made place on it in the future regarding means-testing etc.

Back