How to adapt SW for breastfeeding mums

nina

Silver Member
hello -- i am new to SW...not going to the meetings but instead trying to do it on my own with books borrowed from a friend...

I need advice about breastfeeding -- are there any changes to the program?

any help is greatly appreciated!

there are changes in the diet if you're breastfeeding but i don't know what exactly. one of the things is you're allowed extra healthy extras.

thanks for the quick reply!

do you know how many extra HE I can have?

there is a guide to it no lifeline online - the SW website, you need to have a lot more HE X'S. it depends on how old your baby is if you let me know ill go on and have a look for you

there is a guide to it no lifeline online - the SW website, you need to have a lot more HE X'S. it depends on how old your baby is if you let me know ill go on and have a look for you

thanks for the reply --

my baby is 3 months old...could you give me the advice on the HE from now until shes 12 months.

thanks again

If you are breast-feeding, your body requires extra energy and extra calcium to enable it to produce milk for your baby. Therefore if you are Food Optimising whilst breast-feeding we recommend you increase your daily number of Healthy Extras.
Extra Daily Allowances for breast-feeding mums
Baby’s age
You can enjoy additional Healthy Extras on top of your usual 2a and 2b choices.
We recommend that one or preferably two of these additional choices are made from the milk and cheese section.
Up to 2 months

2 to 3 months

4 to 6 months

if starting to wean

4 to 6 months if breast milk is the only source of nutrient for your baby

Over 6 months

when weaning

We also recommend you enjoy the full 15 Syns a day.

Calcium

The recommended daily intake of calcium for breastfeeding mums increases from 700mg to 1,250mg per day so we advise you to make at least one and preferably two of your additional selections from the Healthy Extra milk and cheese options, which are rich in calcium. The following table lists good dietary sources of calcium, providing you with plenty of healthy ways in which to increase your calcium intake:

Calcium rich Healthy Extras
Milk and cheese selections in the healthy Extras section of Food Optimising all contain high levels of calcium. The exact amounts are as follows: There are also a number of Free Foods within Food Optimising that contain calcium. These include: 350ml skimmed milk
130mg 250ml semi-skimmed milk
90mg 175ml whole milk
120mg 200ml goat’s milk
75mg 250ml calcium enriched soya milk
430mg 28g Cheddar
250mg 28g Edam
170mg 28g Emmental
200mg 28g Gouda
150mg 28g Parmesan
160mg 42g Mozzarella
220mg 42g reduced fat Cheddar
350mg 42g reduced fat Cheshire 270mg

Calcium rich Free Food
420mg 100g very low fat natural/ flavoured yogurt
300mg 100g very low fat natural/ flavoured fromage frais
200mg 100g quark
200mg 100g very low fat cottage cheese
350mg 100g sardines, canned in tomato sauce
200mg 100g pilchards, canned in tomato sauce
220ml 100g spinach
270mg 100g purple sprouting broccoli
210mg 100g curly kale
340mg 100g okra
250mg 100g amaranth leaves
Please note – whilst you are breastfeeding and require extra Healthy Extras you will be able to add additional ‘a’ and ‘b’ choices to the online food diary. Don’t forget hen you’re no longer breastfeeding and are back to the regular amount of Healthy Extras.

Thank you for such accurate info!

zenabob2105 --> thats terrific, thanks for passing the information along!

I would like to know what the biological principle behind the diet makes it work so well -- eating loads and losing weight>>>

zenabob2105 --> thats terrific, thanks for passing the information along!

I would like to know what the biological principle behind the diet makes it work so well -- eating loads and losing weight>>>

the science part of SW.....

moz-screenshot.jpg
The energy density of a food can be summed up as the amount of calories given off by a specific weight of food. Proteins and complex carbohydrates give off less than half the calories supplied by fats. This, combined with their great satiating properties, produce a synergistic effect that makes make proteins and complex carbohydrates amazing beneficial to a slimmer.

Even though Food Optimising naturally lowers your calorie intake, you will never need to count, calculate or compute a single calorie value. Uniquely, Food Optimising takes into consideration not just the calorific value of the food but how well it satisfies our appetite too.
Satiation is the term used to describe the satisfying qualities of a food. Foods that are highly satiating make you feel fuller quicker, at the time of eating.
Satiety describes the lasting effects of satiation, in other words, foods with a high satiety are those foods that stave off hunger for the longest.
In 1996, research sponsored by Slimming World at the Rowett Institute in Aberdeen, Scotland, found that there was a hierarchy within the macro-nutrients (proteins, carbohydrates and fats). Proteins and (complex) carbohydrates were found to have much greater satiation and satiety than fats. Foods rich in these nutrients satisfy hunger and suppress appetite in the most effective way.
Forget putting your life and your health at risk with invasive surgery like stomach stapling; forget drugs that interfere with your body and your minds natural, healthy functions. This completely natural and completely effective way to suppress appetite works – 100%!

Forget putting your life and your health at risk with invasive surgery like stomach stapling; forget drugs that interfere with your body and your minds natural, healthy functions. This completely natural and completely effective way to suppress appetite works – 100%!

WOW, that was well expained...and oddly enuf, this last quote really stuck out to me! I have been contemplating the stomach surgery -- thinking that that could be my only solution...and in my waffling back and forth, have decided to give it all my best at SW (with exercising as well).

Thanks again for your help!

btw, congratulations on your weightloss!

Won't be long before your the same.....:)

thanks for the encouragement --> thats why I love minimins -- wonderful group of people here!

Hi!

I am a breastfeeding mum :) I have been doing SW for 5 weeks and going well.

Good Luck!

Yes, SW is definitely working for you!

Have you begun to exercise? And do you tend to more red than green days or vice versa?

also, can you tell me where the meeting is in leeds? I may want to try and go...to get some face to face support!

thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!:)

Yes, SW is definitely working for you!

Have you begun to exercise? And do you tend to more red than green days or vice versa?

also, can you tell me where the meeting is in leeds? I may want to try and go...to get some face to face support!

Hi Nina,

I actually go to a group in Heckmondwike near Dewsbury/Batley :)

I tend to do mostly green days as I can never think of what to eat with meat on original days :)

Not started doing any exercise yet over and above walking to the car and back :eek:

Back