I am an emotional eater and sugar addict and I dont know what to do anymore

Hi everyone

I am really fed up and need some advice. As you can see from the title, I am both an emotional eater and addicted to sugar :-( On certain days like today, I feel like a drug addict except it is sugar I am craving. I even find myself constantly needing it just to get through the day at times. I am very worried about the risks I am putting my body under and am worried about getting diabetes in future. For some reason though, I am not officially overweight although I have been trying to lose at least half a stone (as I am quite close to being overweight and have put on between 7 and 12 pounds in the last few months). I am a very active person, exercise every day, walk to and from work (2.5 miles each way), go swimming a few times a week and try and go to exercise classes like zumba too. However I cannot lose the weight and have strong sugar cravings at least a couple of times a day, every day. I am a comfort eater and have always had a sweet tooth so put it down to that. However since I have been on the pill (microgynon) for the last few months, I have noticed the cravings have definitely got stronger. I crave chocolate all the time. I never used to be this bad. For some reason it is just chocolate I crave too. But of course if I give in and eat chocolate then I just end up craving it even more. I love other stuff like cake but don’t crave that so much now. I have tried countless times in the last few months to eat healthier and cut down on the sweet stuff. I usually last a few days max before I can no longer resist the cravings and end up giving in and pigging out basically :( By this point it is sooo hard to get back on track and I am so fed up and down that it usually takes me up to another week before I feel like trying again. I just have no willpower at all now since I have been on the pill and dont know what to do. It seems even a holiday in turkey soon, wanting desperately to lose weight and fit in my old clothes and being worried about the health effects of eating too much sugar still isn’t enough for me to beat the cravings!! I am so fed up and feel like such a failure. I just think ‘what is wrong with me’ I have never been this bad before?. Why have I got no willpower? Why am I craving chocolate all the time?. I am so sick of this? I am worried there may be something medically wrong with me. It seems to me the only way I can beat the cravings once and for all is to give up sugar completely. But I just dont know if I can do that. It sounds impossibly hard from what I have read. I love chocolate and cakes and it is my one vice. I don’t smoke, drink and literally don’t have any other vices so the idea of giving up the one thing I love to me almost makes life seem not worth living, as extreme as that sounds. I know it sounds bad but I get so much enjoyment out of chocolate and cake that I just do not want to give it up. The only thing that would force me to give it up is if my health and life depended on it. I’ve tried to cut down and eat healthier things and substituting chocolate for other things like fruit. But it doesn’t work and no matter what healthy things I eat, the damn cravings don’t give up and eventually I give in…..every time!!! To be honest it’s an absolute miracle I’m not bigger than I am but I put that down to the amount of exercise I do, which is probably too much, in an attempt to burn off the calories.

So what should I do? Yet again this week I am trying to eat healthier but have no willpower which means I cannot resist all the temptation. The thing I dont understand is that I have managed to diet successfully before and lost 3.5 stone on slimming world in 2008 and kept most of it off up until I started taking the pill. But now I’ve put on at least a stone off it back on, probably more, as I haven’t weighed myself for a while. Luckily I’m fairly tall (5ft 8-9) so hide it well. But I hate the fact all my size 12 clothes are really tight and even size 14s are tight on me too at times. I even brought jogging bottoms in a size 16 as the 14s were too tight. I really don’t know what to do anymore, other than stop taking the pill (as it seems likely it might be increasing the sugar cravings). But I don’t want to do that as I am taking it cos my periods were horrible before I took it and they are a lot more manageable now. And I really don’t want to change pills when this one works so well. I am considering coming off it in future but probably not for a few more months until I have used the current packet up as I can’t face my periods being all messed up over the summer. Then there is the emotional eating and sugar cravings to contend with. How do I beat them when I have tried so many times in the past :-( I just feel like giving up but then the fear of getting ill in future and the fact that too much sugar makes me so depressed gives me the incentive to keep trying again.

Even as I sit here writing this I am craving chocolate and thinking about it constantly. I am so fed up of this and am at my wits end. I don’t know why I would be wanting it to make myself feel better as I am generally happy in life. Any help or advice would be really appreciated :)

Thanks a lot

Purplesunshine

Last edited:
Hi ya

maybe you should ask your GP if you could have blood tests done, just to exclude anything physical. I know many people who have put on weight and got strong cravings while being on the contraceptive pill. Would you consider changing contraceptive method? There are plenty of non-hormonal alternatives available, or even the Mirena coil, wasn't for me, but my friend swears by it and she had terrible periods before.
The next step could be asking yourself if there might be something in your life that makes you uncomfortable or unhappy, could be another reason why you crave chocolate. Chocolate boosts endorphines (our feel good hormones), leading to some people "self-medicating" with chocolate/sugars.

Back