I know i keep going on but...

vickydink

Determined!!
This is really getting on my nerves.

I was doing well up untilabout 3 weeks ago. I got to 11,10 and that was it it just stopped. I sneakily jumped on scales Monday just gone and i had lost 2lb's which i was happy ith obviously. Had a quick look just now (the day before weighin) and i am 11,9!
I am doing nothing wrong, i have stuck to my cals, if not within them!

I am now going to exercis for a good half an hour now because i am starting to get depressed. I ave been dietting for 4 months and it's starting to really get to me.

Sorry for the moan...:(:confused:

You've probably just reached the dreaded plateau Vicky..........maybe if you upped the cals for a week it would kick start you??? Just a suggestion but whatever happens just remember it will start to shift again. Maybe you should change your weigh day too? I know it's not logical but I changed mine a couple of months ago and it just really seemed to work! You weigh every day so have you seen any pattern to your weight loss??

not really. I dont have a day where i think right lets just have a treat day, i watch the cals every day but this has got on my nerves. I lost 2lbs as of monday and kept that off until yesterday and then this mrning when i saw a lb had gone on i was gutted. Suppose i could change my weigh day to a monday...see how that works but then id be gaining all the time if you think about it!

Well I'd say there's no way you could have gained a 'real' pound in a day. It's got to be the water weight thing or something. I mean your weight does naturally fluctuate anyhow. Sounds like you've hit a bit of a plateau though. Keep going and don't get discouraged!

The exercise you do, is it cardio only? Because I've read in a few places that one of the best ways to counteract the effect of metabolism slowing down with dieting, is by doing strength/toning exercises. If you gain an extra lb of muscle then that burns an extra 50cal a day which is 300cal extra a week or sommat like that. With Cardio exercise you burn more calories immediately, but with toning exercises you maintain your metabolism more long term. Anyway that's the way I understand it.

The other thing is that when you carry more weight, it burns more calories to do the same stuff. It's like lugging round bags of sugar with you when you walk or climb stairs or whatever, it means you burn more. So when you lose weight you need less calories to lose weight e.g. 20lb lost = 20lb less sugar you're carrying. Maybe try going on a website and reevaluating how many calories you need per day: I see from your stats you've lost 20lb.

Keep going. I guess there's 3 routes you could go down with the calories thing: 1. keep it at the same and change the type/amount of exercise. If you've managed to lose this week still, then obviously you're still burning more than you use.
2. reduce daily calories due to needing less calories, due to having lost weight.
3. increase it in the hopes of giving metabolism a boost.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Reactions: KD
Theres loads to take in there, thankyou. I am on 1000 a day and this has worked, i dont think i am going to reduce them as i dont want my body to get used to less than 1000 I will exercise more this week as much aqs ic an and go from there...

Theres loads to take in there, thankyou. I am on 1000 a day and this has worked, i dont think i am going to reduce them as i dont want my body to get used to less than 1000 I will exercise more this week as much aqs ic an and go from there...

Hi Vickydink, im in the same situation as you. I have been dieting for around 13 weeks and have been eating 1000 cals a day, i started at 15.2 and i am now 13.1, but i have only lost 1lb a week for the last 2 weeks and its rather annoying...thinking of upping the exercise, but even the weeks i have exercised, its not really helped my weight loss. Im consistent with what i eat and thought i would have lost more in the weeks i exercised...but i defo feel firmer..if that makes sense. God its hard isnt it!

:)

There was a program on TV (I think it was Horizon) about body clocks recently and they said it was better to exercise in the evening. Perhaps that would make a difference?

Also, if you do a lot of exercise you'll gain muscle, and that's heavier than fat. Perhaps your body shape is changing for the better without the scales agreeing?

now see i have been told exercising in the morning helps it along, thats why you hear of so many people going for a run or to the gym early in the morning...oh dear so much conflicting info!

Vicky - look how much you have lost already! I have only lost 10 pounds and I only lost 1lb last week. And it seems it doesnt want to budge for me too. But Ive only started a month ago!!! This shouldnt be happening.
I am eating 1000 cals a day now too, as my metabolism is really stupidly slow. Though I dont do a great deal of exercise . I walk between 3.5- 7 miles most days. But thats as far as my exercise goes.

Start measuring yourself. Although the scales may not go down - that could we muscle weight. Or water weight?
keep your chin up!!
xx

I know i know :) Sorry i seem i am moaning loads. I am very impatient as youc an tell. I buzz from losing 2lbs or over in a week and cos it has hit that stage where i have not really lost anything in about 2 or 3 weeks its annoying.

I need to measure myself again actually, i am only doing that occasionally and jotting it down so it shows well how many inches have been lost. May publish that in my sig block too :)

I'd try and up your exercise, and see if that works. What sort of exercise do you do. If you jog, try some interval running, that's supposed to be good for weight loss, aswell as getting you fit.

Whats interval running?

eg 1min jog/1min sprint or jog/walk, or combinations of jogging/walking/sprinting...

Ah right, i just go constant jogging :)

I was sceptical about the interval running when it was first suggested to me but I find that because it involves a hard push then easing back that I can keep going longer and keep my heart rate up without keeling over! Worth a try.

I'm quite fit - I do lots and lots of swimming - but I was suprised to find I can't run very well. My heart and muscles are OK, it's my joints which start to kill after the first half hour.

I can do quite well on exercise on my Wii fit now, thats all i do with regards to exercise apart from normal stuff u do everyday anyway.
I knowpeople say 'oh Wii fit thats not exercise' Trust me it is and it has helped, i don't think id of lost nearly 2 stone without it!!

Hi Vickydink

Yeah, sorry interval running is basically stopping and starting, but it is supposed to be good for weight loss and burning fat.

I've been jogging for about 6 months now, using a plan called C25k which takes you from the couch to running 5k in 9 weeks (but you can repeat weeks and take it at your own pace if you want, so no need to complete it in the 9 weeks). But it basically introduces your body to running.

But I also play netball a couple of times a week, so although I enjoy doing the running programme, I needed a different type of running to get me fitter for my netball, i.e. the interval running.

Below are two different interval running
programmes, you might find interesting:

Interval Running Programme 1
Begin by walking at a regular pace for 2 minutes.

Increase your pace for 2 more minutes. This pace should cause your heart rate to increase slightly as well as your breathing rate.

Increase your pace for 1 more minute and begin to mentally prepare for a 1 minute jog.

Jog at a comfortable pace for 1 minute then slow down to a fast pace walk for 1 minute. Repeat this three times. At the end of the final recovery period, you should be finishing minute 11:00.

As minute 12:00 begins, return to a comfortable jog for 1:30 and recover for 1 minute. Repeat this one more time. At the end of this segment you should be finishing minute 16:00.

As minute 16:00 begins, return to a comfortable jog for 2:00 and recover for 2:00. Repeat this two more times and then use the remaining two minutes for a cool-down.

Finish your interval workout with a light stretch of your calves, hamstrings, quadriceps, glutes, and low back.

As your endurance improves you can lengthen your interval periods or increase your distance.

Interval Running Programme 2

Warm up the first 2 minutes at Intensity Level 5
Minutes 2-3 move from Intensity Level 5 to 6
Minutes 4-5, 6-10 and 11-14 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 9, maintain for one minute.
Minutes 15-19 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 10 (High Point at Level 10), maintain for one minute.
Minute 20 cool down to Intensity Level 5 for one minute.

Also, for those of you who are thinking about starting running and would like to give the C25K programme a go, I've attached the link to their website.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The programme is at the bottom of the page at this site.

If the link doesn't work, just google C25K, and click into the cool running part.

Last edited:
I was sceptical about the interval running when it was first suggested to me but I find that because it involves a hard push then easing back that I can keep going longer and keep my heart rate up without keeling over! Worth a try.

Hi, have you got an interval programme that you follow or do you do your own thing. I'm just always interested in new programmes, to give a go, to break up the routine.

Back