Iceland and slimming world

They look big juicy prawns.

Ppl laugh at me n my poo shoots but I just can't eat it.

they are big in the picture but weren't in mine. They were prawn cocktail prawn sized. I have taken a picture of the other meal I have in the freezer which looks like they have been deveined as there is a definite cut down the back of the prawn.

Attachments

• 1424538302096.jpg
    1424538302096.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 149
I have tried the meatballs with a pasta sauce and the chicken tikka. Both were tasty and filling and I was impressed with the quality of the meat. However, I was horrified at the salt content of the chicken tikka.
I won't be eating them on a regular basis but I will have a couple in the freezer for emergency work meals. They will enable me to stay on plan and not spend a fortune on days I haven't been able to prepare my own food.

I'm spending less doing SW than I did before because I'm not buying all the unnecessary extras, just fruit, veg, meat, rice and pasta etc.
I might try the meatballs but have no burning desire to try the 'free' sausages if they really are 3x the fat content of other sausages. I'd rather spend a few syns on some that I have tried and tested.
For me, the whole point of following SW is to teach me a healthier way of life that involves healthy and nutritious meals cooked with wholesome ingredients, rather than junk/takeaways. I may add the odd convenience meal into that if I am working late etc, but would rather cook my own meals. If people want to buy and use the new SW ready meals then fair enough but if not, then that is for them to decide. To each their own.

I have been known to make my own sausages and I'm not entirely sure how the Iceland ones are syn free as I checked the % of pork and it was <90% which seemed odd as to be free, I've been told ham etc had to be at least 90 or 95% pork (can't remember which as I don't eat ham).

Someone posted a link to a video on the other fred - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeEkjXyWLlQ It's under 3 minutes and an interesting watch. Margaret Miles-Bramwell (SW Supremo) & Nigel Broadhurst (the Joint MD of Iceland) both state that they have searched for quality ingredients throughout the world. Margaret Miles-Bramwell also elaborates on when she thinks they are useful and can be used - although cooking from scratch is still at the heart of SW Food Optimising.

I've seen that it's interesting but I'm cynical Iceland have been fined so many times for lieing about produce, selling raw chicken in ready meals the horse meat scandal. But it really is just my hang ups. Other ppl won't have these and will enjoy the meals and help them stay on track.

Though interesting in ours, they had deliberately placed the sw food, right in the freezer next to the cheapest deserts and puddings all for like 99p etc. obviously with a meal comes the pudding :-0

they are big in the picture but weren't in mine. They were prawn cocktail prawn sized. I have taken a picture of the other meal I have in the freezer which looks like they have been deveined as there is a definite cut down the back of the prawn.

Does look so doesn't it, that's good news though I hope the size was a one off and your next ones are king prawns.

I have tried the meatballs with a pasta sauce and the chicken tikka. Both were tasty and filling and I was impressed with the quality of the meat. However, I was horrified at the salt content of the chicken tikka. I won't be eating them on a regular basis but I will have a couple in the freezer for emergency work meals. They will enable me to stay on plan and not spend a fortune on days I haven't been able to prepare my own food.

What was the salt content? X

That is a lot, lucky I don't eat ready meals :)

I did find it off putting but I guess they have to preserve them somehow. I only looked as my mother wanted to try one but is on a low salt diet for medical reasons.

I have lost track now with the various different threads about these meals, so sorry if I am repeating myself here - just ignore me if so!!

I thought the sausages were awful. I cannot think of anything nice to say about them.

The meatballs (the ones sold separately) were OK. Rather "bouncy", if you know what I mean. I wouldn't buy them (didn't buy these actually, I was testing them with someone else).

They both seemed to be over-seasoned with pepper. Didn't notice that they were salty, but definitely the lingering taste was of pepper.

I have some vouchers but they are for buying two meals and I don't have a freezer, so I probably won't use them as I will just buy one meal at a time. I might try the beef/red onion one, but I am not that enthusiastic, given what people have said so far.

Thanks Anna for reporting back.
Lots of people have said the sausages aren't good, although some love them. I suppose we're all different.
You're the first to report in on the bagged meatballs though. Might give them a go but by the sounds of it they aren't brilliant.

I have already written about the sausages but I'm not sure on which thread now.....but I have an update! I have cooked a couple for breakfast this morning in the George Foreman Grill and the texture was so much better. I know that doesn't help with the taste for some that don't like them but certainly the skins were a lot softer.
I think you're right though Pommette, all our tastes vary so much that the only way to see if you like any of the range is to try it for yourself.

SAUSAGES (sorry not Iceland related, but interesting)

My Slimming World had a sausage taster day. We all tried 8 different brands of sausage and the results were a complete mixed bag. Not one overall winner or loser. Some people thought certain brands were vile whilst others voted them in first place. So it seems where sausages are concerned we all have very differing opinions on what's hot and what's not.:)

SAUSAGES (sorry not Iceland related, but interesting)

My Slimming World had a sausage taster day. We all tried 8 different brands of sausage and the results were a complete mixed bag. Not one overall winner or loser. Some people thought certain brands were vile whilst others voted them in first place. So it seems where sausages are concerned we all have very differing opinions on what's hot and what's not.:)

You are so right on this. Friends of ours love the Richmond sausages available from Iceland and loads of other shops.
They did them for brunch one time when they'd invited us and I had one mouthful and literally spat it out.
Texture was foul and tasted disgusting to me.
Mr Poms managed to eat his but said that for him they were just totally tasteless so what was I going on about!

Back