If you cant find a Syn value....

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Starlight, 24 June 2009.

1. Starlight

Starlight Well-Known Member

What do you do if you cant find the Syn value for something?

I had a small portion of chips from the Chinese tonight, half a portion really but cant find it anywhere and noone seems to know how many Syns. Ive had a look through the eating out section but its not helping me at all.

WHat do you do if you cant find something???
  2. Beki

Beki Well-Known Member

fish and chip shop chips would be the same syn value i reckon.

fish and chip shop chips - half a portion -

red - 13.5
    green/ee - 8.75

if i can't find what i'm looking for i go for the things most similar to it - you can't go far wrong that way :)
    Starlight likes this.
  3. Starlight

Theyre not as heavy or big and greasy as those but Ill count them as that.

Thats what I did with WW, just wanted to check it was safest doing that with SW too ;)
  4. squiddie

squiddie Starting Again!

If you can't find what you're looking for in the book, then use the online directory or the calculator, if you don't have access to the site, ask one of the lovely people here and they will soon help you out.

The longer you are on the diet, the easier it is to make guesstimates, but this can be dangerous as you might think something is one 1 or 2 and turns out to be 10!!
    Starlight likes this.
  5. Starlight

That was my worry squiddie. Checking the book it said home made chips were 2.5 but chip shop ones were about 15 and they didnt really fit into either catagory
  6. squiddie

squiddie Starting Again!

Well basically home made mean no oil done in the oven and chip shop ones are done in a deep fat fryer. And the smaller the actual chip the more fat they hold on to :)
  7. Gemma1986

Gemma1986 Im just me!

I no you can phone the syn line and they will help you if you cant find something in the book.
  8. kazisindahouse

kazisindahouse Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to find my way around all the books so am glad you guys are here to help me out!:family2:
  9. squiddie

squiddie Starting Again!

It's what we're not paid for!
  10. poppyowner

poppyowner Well-Known Member

Just a little tip I was told once - in general for items that don't have a free food in them - ie. Crisps, Sweets etc.......
    Find the calories for the serving then calculate ..... 10 cals = 1/2syn......20 cals = 1 syn etc so for example a sweet which is 70cals would be 3.5 syns. IF the cals are not exact like that then re. earlier calculations anything up to 14cals is 1/2syn anything 15cals to 24cals is 1 syn - so 25cals = 1.5 syns - is this clear as mud?

It makes more sense if spoken than typed - LOL

This approach I double check and it always works out re. synsonline etc - good way to gauge if you want something before knowing the syns for sure.

11. miss jelly tot

miss jelly tot CWP Consultant

Poppy you are right. Between you, me and the whole website my consulant told us this too. SW told her not to go spreading it about though lol ;)
  12. metrognome

metrognome is getting better at it

that is so handy to know, its going to make my life so much easier
    thank you
  13. squiddie

squiddie Starting Again!

Ooo that's a better way than my mental arithmatic! Mine involved x numbers and division and little houses!